Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Captain Awesome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 PM

Default Mirror wall inside tank?

I know this sounds weird but I am in the process of building a new tank. The only place it can go in my current home is in a corner. I will be building my own tank with stand and lighting hood. I want to build the tank with 3 sides glass so if I move I can have it centered in the room and see all 3 sides. For now I'm thinking since it would have to go in the corner and I dont want to see the wall threw the tank would it be ok so just attach a mirror on the outside of the glass. I think it might look kinda cool inside seeing the reflection. I'm just worried about the light reflecting and making things look weird. Has this ever been done before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 12:28 PM

A mirror has the potential to cause stress. Animals can see their reflection and think it is a rival. When they display threatening or territorial signals the mirror animal shows it back and it escalates unendingly. Make sure that animals you select for a mirror tank are very non territorial. I would use a different background.

I would like to hear your construction methods for your triangle tank. It’s an interesting thing to pull off with a few complications which is why you don’t see it much.
Encyclia and Kmc like this.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:24 PM

It's not going to be a triangle, it will be similar to this one. I built the one in the picture also. The back wall will be a background and only the left side would be mirror attached to the outside of the glass for now until I have a spot that I can center it in the room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190916_190601_1568830868326.jpg (43.4 KB, 16 views)

Old 09-18-2019, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Mirror wall inside tank?

I have known reflective imagery to even affect larger, sturdier taxon with distractive stress. To the extent that abstracted stimuli threw them off feed, and they actually lost weight.

Its not a good idea.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:34 PM

I wouldn't use a mirror for the previously stated reasons. You could either extend your background material to the side touching the wall, or you could simply use black contact paper placed on the outside of the tank along the wall. Then when you eventually move the tank all you have to do is peel the paper off.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM

At the very *Least* it could artificially impact your behavioral observations.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:22 PM

"Only the left side.."

Is too much mirror.

When we keep animals in a glass container, all they experience is all we deign to provide them. They are guests or imprisoned artifacts.

How lucky you are to be able to construct what you imagine on genesis level, with your hands. What is Cool looking is up to you, but there isn't anything cooler imo than being witness and provider to a serene utopia, infused with the best nature has to offer, but with no predation or ecological hardship.

Frogs see well. There are endless ways for a human to apply mirrors and other decor in their home without creating a viv that is an unescapable trick box of novel stressors.

Last edited by Kmc; 09-19-2019 at 07:28 PM.