No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kinstrome
  • 1 Post By Kinstrome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 11:04 PM

Default Need ideas for a skyscraper tank with no background

I'm slowly working on creating my newest build. I bought a 18x18x36 ZooMed Skyscraper tank, Mistking starter setup, and Spectral Designs LED fixture. I want to make bromeliads and misc tropicals the focus of this setup.

My biggest challenge is that I really don't want a 3D background into this build. My previous four builds all had Great Stuff-based backgrounds, with cork bark and/or driftwood jutting out to create some depth. While I loved the look, I want to be able to break this tank down easily for redesign if/when needed.

I plan to paint the outside back wall with black paint, and create a free-standing structure. I'd love to get a similar look to these two setups I found online, but I could really use some advice on how to do this. Maybe use Great Stuff and hygrolon to connect several pieces of driftwood together? Any ideas are much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Need ideas for a skyscraper tank with no background

I love skyscrapers! And those two are very attractive setups.

There are a lot of ways to create the unseen support for those types of vivs. The way I would do it is to just create a frame with eggcrate, zip ties, hot glue, something to cover it (like mosquito netting or weed barrier), and then the next steps kind of depend on what specific things you want to do. It will still be "3D" but it will also be way lighter than if you built it up with peat bricks or stones or perhaps even spray foam.

I did it with the skellig islands-style vivarium in these photographs:

(If you want to see the whole thread: https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...out-sides.html )

I noticed that, in your second photo, the builder of the viv wrapped hygrolon around a piece of wood / driftwood. (A little above the middle of the photograph.) It's possible that it's built of carefully stacked driftwood to provide a support, in the same way you'd build a bonfire. That's a little heavier than the eggcrate method, but there're no wasted materials if you decide to disassemble it, and the driftwood support parts can grow stuff on itself, too, whereas the eggcrate method can't.

Let me know if you need me to explain anything more clearly.
MermaidInMotion likes this.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM

What a cool concept, Kinstrome! I read through your thread and like how your setup turned out.

My tank came with a cork bark background that I would love to utilize. This setup will house a day gecko, so I'm trying to consider what's best for the critter, not for me. I think she'd prefer the added climbing area, especially if I can add some cork rounds to the flat background, like pictured here from NEHerp: .

I can attach the background with magnets for easy removal, rather than silicone or glue.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Shucks, I didn't even think about cork. It's lightweight, plants can grow off it, easy to assemble and stick together.

I don't know enough about geckos to speak of habitat needs, but I have been told crested geckos need some shade from the level of light that is usually used to grow tropical plants like Neoregelia in frog vivs. I don't know whether or not that translates to day geckos, too.

I don't know whether the photos you linked are similar to what you are going to get / use, but Josh's Frogs has a guide for making a branching cork tree by using PVC piping to connect cork rounds. That probably isn't the look you're aiming for, but it's a neat idea, in case you are very interested in cork-related creativity.
MermaidInMotion likes this.
Old Today, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidInMotion View Post
I'm slowly working on creating my newest build. I bought a 18x18x36 ZooMed Skyscraper tank, Mistking starter setup, and Spectral Designs LED fixture. I want to make bromeliads and misc tropicals the focus of this setup.

My biggest challenge is that I really don't want a 3D background into this build. My previous four builds all had Great Stuff-based backgrounds, with cork bark and/or driftwood jutting out to create some depth. While I loved the look, I want to be able to break this tank down easily for redesign if/when needed.

I plan to paint the outside back wall with black paint, and create a free-standing structure. I'd love to get a similar look to these two setups I found online, but I could really use some advice on how to do this. Maybe use Great Stuff and hygrolon to connect several pieces of driftwood together? Any ideas are much appreciated!

In the pictures the original poster posed does anyone know what LED are being used?

Tags
background, bromeliad, hygrolon, skyscraper