Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Parts & Construction (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/)
-   -   Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18 (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/352832-plant-suggestions-36-x-18-x-18-a.html)

ambilobe 08-30-2019 12:45 PM

Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
I am building a 36 x 18 x 18 vivarium for my Lucs.
I am at the cutting foam stage, so am starting to think about plants.

In my past two vivs I used the josh frogs plant selection.

Any suggestions if I should just do that again or select specific plants?

I have net cups with drainage on all sides and was thinking about putting bromolids in those.


Once I have the backround done, I'll post updates, but figured I would get some advice first.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d9f2b027e9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a42fc320a7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cce35958d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fishingguy12345 08-30-2019 08:29 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
I like the hardscape so far! For plants the question is: what do you like? Vines? Moss? Ferns? Flowering plants? Theta are a billion possibilities.

Personally, I love how marcgravia looks when they grow up wood, that would look great with your hardscape, along with bromeliads and some Ferns

ambilobe 08-30-2019 11:35 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
I have a fee pots that seem to he close to the top so for those I would want something that grows down as opposed to up. Would something like a "wandering jew" work there ?

I will post updates tomorrow when I have more time to cut the foam away


Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Kinstrome 08-31-2019 04:02 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
I think the plants I've seen categorized as wandering jew do not tend to just drip down in the way that I imagine you are wanting. The ones I have stick up in the air, even if they don't have anything to stick roots into. I only have two or three plants that I've heard in any context called "wandering jew," so I'd maybe wait for somebody else to corroborate or correct my thoughts on these plants.

NEHERP has a section on trailing plants that are inexpensive. I have only ever bought one of them; I can't remember its name, but it is very hardy and it just sort of trails down the sides of my viv. I replanted it in a new viv in this photo, although it hasn't had time to grow much:

http://i.imgur.com/bL7UxQKl.jpg
^It's the green, tear-shaped-leaf plant descending from the driftwood like locks of hair.

ambilobe 09-01-2019 02:04 AM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinstrome (Post 3071768)
I think the plants I've seen categorized as wandering jew do not tend to just drip down in the way that I imagine you are wanting. The ones I have stick up in the air, even if they don't have anything to stick roots into. I only have two or three plants that I've heard in any context called "wandering jew," so I'd maybe wait for somebody else to corroborate or correct my thoughts on these plants.



NEHERP has a section on trailing plants that are inexpensive. I have only ever bought one of them; I can't remember its name, but it is very hardy and it just sort of trails down the sides of my viv. I replanted it in a new viv in this photo, although it hasn't had time to grow much:



http://i.imgur.com/bL7UxQKl.jpg

^It's the green, tear-shaped-leaf plant descending from the driftwood like locks of hair.

That looks perfect.
One side done.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6ec0b8ab9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ambilobe 09-07-2019 06:20 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
This is the 15 plants from Josh's Frogs kit.

Do they look reasonably placed.

I tried to go with their website recommendations

Thanks
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2dce58667e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2e2c713d3a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bed147ae16.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5b0860cb88.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Kinstrome 09-07-2019 08:47 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
As far as the survival of the plants goes, I don't see any immediate problem.

If you're asking for aesthetic suggestions, I might complicate the surface of the substrate a little more, make it look like a messy, natural scene. Maybe put some big rocks or branches or cork, or something natural. That's up to you.

ambilobe 09-08-2019 01:34 AM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
I just realized that I need a new top for the 36 x 18x 18 exo terra.

Has anyone have a aquarium top? Or should I just get a replacement exo and remove the screens ?



Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fishingguy12345 09-08-2019 01:50 AM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambilobe (Post 3072178)
I just realized that I need a new top for the 36 x 18x 18 exo terra.

Has anyone have a aquarium top? Or should I just get a replacement exo and remove the screens ?



Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If you have a glass/window place in town they can custom cut you a piece of glass. I had a lid for my tank ( 18*18") cut and it was about $8, you're probably only looking at $15-20 max for your tank

ambilobe 09-08-2019 01:54 AM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
I could probably just use a 36 x 18 fish tank lid, but how do you add seal the back ? Or add an air vent? Can I see a pic?

I have a hardware store that cuts glass , but only 1/8 inch thick

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

fishingguy12345 09-08-2019 02:50 AM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambilobe (Post 3072182)
I could probably just use a 36 x 18 fish tank lid, but how do you add seal the back ? Or add an air vent? Can I see a pic?

I have a hardware store that cuts glass , but only 1/8 inch thick

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

For mine I had it cut 2" shorter than needed so that I could add ventilation. I didn't seal the lid on, so that I can remove the lid to do maintenance when needed.

DPfarr 09-08-2019 06:38 AM

Look up a glass and mirror place and get a 1/4 piece cut.

I feel like I’ve adopted and perpetuated this idea of having ~20% ventilation. If you got a 36x14.5 piece that’s damn close. Then get a screen making kit for the other 4.5 inches. Much easier to be able to access or remove something that size.

ambilobe 09-08-2019 12:49 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DPfarr (Post 3072196)
Look up a glass and mirror place and get a 1/4 piece cut.

I feel like Iíve adopted and perpetuated this idea of having ~20% ventilation. If you got a 36x14.5 piece thatís damn close. Then get a screen making kit for the other 4.5 inches. Much easier to be able to access or remove something that size.

What do you hot glue the screen part to? Is there a frame ?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Socratic Monologue 09-08-2019 12:50 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambilobe (Post 3072182)
I could probably just use a 36 x 18 fish tank lid

The chance of an aquarium top fitting an ExoTerra well enough to prevent frog escapes is remote at best; 36 x 18 is the nominal size of the tank itself, and only approximates the size of the tank/viv.

For glass, yes 1/4 inch from an actual glass shop is best. You can order glass online, too. I've ordered from these folks before:
https://www.onedayglass.com/

The cheap and easy way (which I do, although I do know how to cut glass) is to cut plexiglass inserts to fit on the Exo top, in the screen areas, simply set on top of the screen. Easy to cut (table saw is best but a utility knife works); I cut a few different depths (front to back) so that I can insert a larger/smaller piece for differing ventilation needs depending on season or the specific needs of a certain viv. Yes, they warp from the humidity differential; I clean them every couple weeks and then flip them over so they warp the other way. With the screens in place, the warping isn't an issue at all.

Socratic Monologue 09-08-2019 12:52 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambilobe (Post 3072198)
What do you hot glue the screen part to? Is there a frame ?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

No hot glue -- you just make a window screen and lay it on the Exo, inside the lip that holds the stock top on.
https://www.amazon.com/ADFORS-DIY-Sc...gateway&sr=8-4

ambilobe 09-08-2019 01:02 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
See how I glue the screen?

It I just lay over the lip, the frogs will get out right?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...aec7be072e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Socratic Monologue 09-08-2019 02:49 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambilobe (Post 3072204)
See how I glue the screen?

It I just lay over the lip, the frogs will get out right?

I've seen folks do what you're doing; the window screen kit is just cleaner, doesn't pop out as easily when the cat jumps on it, etc.

Yes, frogs will escape unless the bare screen is attached.

ambilobe 09-08-2019 08:41 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue (Post 3072208)
I've seen folks do what you're doing; the window screen kit is just cleaner, doesn't pop out as easily when the cat jumps on it, etc.



Yes, frogs will escape unless the bare screen is attached.

So how do they prevent escapees?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Socratic Monologue 09-08-2019 08:51 PM

Re: Plant suggestions 36 x 18 x 18
 
Same way the window screens on your house keep critters out. :)

You fit the window screen inside the lip on top of the Exo, and butt the frame of the window screen against the glass that you've gotten cut to fit the rest of the top.

There are lots of threads here with details and pics. Here's one to get you started:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...ction-how.html


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.