Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By bssknox

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 188
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

Has anyone used this light? Iím hoping to put it on a plant grow bin thatís about 16Ē tall. My concern is the low wattage. Only 22 0.50W leds.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2019, 07:23 PM
Encyclia's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 115
Thanked 205 Times in 191 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

I have the 5-row version on a couple of my tanks, one of which is 24" tall and I am happy with them on those tanks. Three rows (and maybe less dense rows, too) might not be very bright. I guess it depends on what plants you are trying to grown. For plant grow-outs, I have done well with just putting them in a south-facing window :-)

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 188
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

I donít have and specific plant in mind. Just plants that I want to make into clippings from my current tanks and then and one I pick up from shows. So the plant growth is pretty good with these?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 PM
PhylloBro's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 157
Thanks: 19
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

I use it. Plants grow slow but they do grow. i didnt give a good look but i accidentally bought one that had 2200 lumens and i had to swap for the 5500 one. Just make sure you get the right one lol

Just noticed. 1100 lumens is really low. I would look for something higher.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2019, 02:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 188
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

Yea I think I might pass on this light and look for a better one. I like to use the evo quads but haven been able to find them anymore.


I have another question though. I havenít yet tired to have a plant grow out tub. After reading a few posts Iím glad that I ended up grabbing the same tub that multiple people suggested. But the question I have is do people put fans in the bin for ventilation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Austindg13; 08-21-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2019, 01:09 PM
Encyclia's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 115
Thanked 205 Times in 191 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

I hadn't really thought of using a fan in a grow-out. For most species, I don't think it's necessary, but if you are growing some finicky stuff (I am guessing some orchids fit in this category), you might want to be able to dry their roots between waterings.

I think you are wise to keep looking for a light. Also, since it's for a plant grow-out, you don't need to worry about how the light looks. There might be cheaper "grow" lights that have garbage color rendering indices (CRI) but would grow plants just fine. It would mean that you wouldn't be able to swap them around your frog tanks if need be, though. If you are looking at a low-budget option (I mean other than putting them in a window!), you might just do simple curly-Q compact fluorescents. They aren't terribly bright or efficient, but they are dirt cheap and come in 6500K ("daylight"). t-5s or LED shoplights are also an option though they are most commonly sold in 4 foot lengths, which may or may not suit your needs.

Mark
Austindg13 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 812
Thanks: 35
Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
If you are looking at a low-budget option (I mean other than putting them in a window!), you might just do simple curly-Q compact fluorescents. They aren't terribly bright or efficient, but they are dirt cheap and come in 6500K ("daylight").
I wonder if the cheap screw-in LED bulbs would be a good option, and possibly better than CFLs in terms of efficiency. The non-dimmable ones are only a couple bucks a piece.
__________________
"People are like plants, they grow toward the light."
- Hope Jahren
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 188
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I hadn't really thought of using a fan in a grow-out. For most species, I don't think it's necessary, but if you are growing some finicky stuff (I am guessing some orchids fit in this category), you might want to be able to dry their roots between waterings.



I think you are wise to keep looking for a light. Also, since it's for a plant grow-out, you don't need to worry about how the light looks. There might be cheaper "grow" lights that have garbage color rendering indices (CRI) but would grow plants just fine. It would mean that you wouldn't be able to swap them around your frog tanks if need be, though. If you are looking at a low-budget option (I mean other than putting them in a window!), you might just do simple curly-Q compact fluorescents. They aren't terribly bright or efficient, but they are dirt cheap and come in 6500K ("daylight"). t-5s or LED shoplights are also an option though they are most commonly sold in 4 foot lengths, which may or may not suit your needs.



Mark


I donít mind spending the money for the right light. Right now on my other grow out bin Iím using the green element 15Ē 20x 3W leds. Unfortunately the seller no longer carries them. Another important thing for me is low profile because there isnít too much space above the bin for a huge bulky light.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 188
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I wonder if the cheap screw-in LED bulbs would be a good option, and possibly better than CFLs in terms of efficiency. The non-dimmable ones are only a couple bucks a piece.


I was thinking of using the ones that people like the bio dude sells on his they screw into a compact top. But I prefer not to go that route.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 54
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously a little more than the one you posted, but that's cause I got the longer one. They have a 24" version of this one that's closer to the price of the one you posted, but has 3100 lumens.
Encyclia likes this.
__________________
Blue Jeans,Leucomelas,Terribilis,Azureus
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2019, 10:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 188
Thanks: 17
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

That one seems better. I donít mind the price as long as itís a good light. What do you use your light on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 26
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

I've got a Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light - 120x 0.50W on my 60 gallon viv, and I haven't had a single issue with it. It's been running daily for about a year and a half. It's the 5 row light, but it's a pretty tall viv, and the 'understory' plants still great. My bromeliads keep their red coloration nicely.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use a BeamsWork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light for my 30G. Works well, plants were growing. Maybe though, on my next build I might use the 5 rows.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 54
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austindg13 View Post
That one seems better. I donít mind the price as long as itís a good light. What do you use your light on?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use it to light two 18x18 vivs. Plants in both are doing well.
__________________
Blue Jeans,Leucomelas,Terribilis,Azureus
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Encyclia's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 115
Thanked 205 Times in 191 Posts
Default Re: Beamswork 6500K 0.50W LED aquarium light

The one bssknox linked on Amazon is the 5-row one that I referred to in my post above. I have had pretty good luck with these on my tanks. They might not be bright enough to drive broms to pink except at close proximity, but they do grow broms and many other plants just fine. They are a good bang for the buck choice and they run really cool passively, so they will probably last better than some of the other cheap lights I have used in the past.

Mark
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.