Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Captain Awesome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Default Silicone glass pre foam.

About 10-12 years ago I remember a website that had a guide on constructing a foam background. They used black silicone on the sides and back of the glass in order to hide the foam and trimmed away the excess after the foam dried (looked super clean from the outside). This does not seem to be the typical approach. Anyone here done this? If so, what did you learn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 11:32 PM

I don’t like the look of the yellow urethane so have done this. There was no black foam product at the time. I think it helps give the foam something to grab but not necessary. I think most skip it because it’s an extra cure time step.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Silicone glass pre foam.

I actually just finished a build and they have black foam currently. It's Great Stuff Pond and Stone. Wasn't able to find it at Home Depot but it was relatively cheap online - $9 per can. I filled the back and the sides with the black foam and stacked the normal Great Stuff product in the center to build structure. All of it was covered with black silicone. However, any of the foam visible from the outside appears black.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:44 AM

Every time I have ever constructed a foam based background I have first applied black silicone to the back and on the sides. I would go further toward the front of the tank with the silicone than I intended my foam background to be so that I could go back with a razor blade after I had finished the background completely and cut and peel the extra silicone away. I would basically trace the line of foam with the razor blade. I agree, this made the sides look super clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 07:58 PM

I have not done this yet, although I have read of quite a lot of hobbyists doing this.

I did sort of a similar thing when I was taking product photos of clay sculptures I was going to put up for sale. I used a matte black spray paint on one side of a sheet of plexiglass, then had the sculpture stand on the other side, so that the black surface was only visible from underneath the plexiglass surface, not above it. The result was an attractive black, glassy surface that sort of resembled a flat piece of obsidian --- if such a thing can be imagined.

I have not done the silicone method yet (although I plan to do so soon, I hope), but I bet going through 1/4" or so glass, the effect turns out rather nice-looking.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pest View Post
About 10-12 years ago I remember a website that had a guide on constructing a foam background. They used black silicone on the sides and back of the glass in order to hide the foam and trimmed away the excess after the foam dried (looked super clean from the outside). This does not seem to be the typical approach. Anyone here done this? If so, what did you learn?
I believe that the guide you are remembering was on black jungle's website.