Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 04:34 PM

Post First Build Journal: Exo Terra 36"x36"x18"

If anyone has a better option for photo upload other than Photobucket please help me

I have been planning a large build since around February of this year, looking at tanks and supplies etc. etc... I originally wanted to do a larger tank but, did not want to construct a tank and stand. So I settled on the largest exo I could find.

For those wondering why I am going all out for my first Viv.
As a teenager I kept your basic Leos, Beardeds, and Ball pythons like everyone else. Also Had a very basic set up for a group of about 8 red eyed tree frogs. As well as other odd creatures that I cant remember. I remember at my peak between babies breeders and pets I had close to 100 animals I was caring for. I have kept salt and fresh water aquariums my entire life. I have been keeping planted fresh tanks close to 10 years and what I have found in 10 years is that I enjoy the plants in the aquarium 10x more than I do the fish or shrimp...

That brings us here. I remember always wanting dart frogs as a teenager, it just wasn't viable at the time. At the beginning of the year I came across some pictures of darts and forgot about how beautiful they were. It made me wanted to bring a piece of the jungle home. I may or may not put darts in it now as I care more about the lay out and plants but if I do I will be putting in Ranitomeya benedicta. That could be months or years after completion.

This Journal is mostly for my purposes but would love to hear critiques and questions to make this perfect.

Construction has not begun I have been ordering everything online so I have everything ready to go.

I purchased 15 (?) pieces of driftwood online that I liked in order to have a good selection of wood and my intention is to give/sell the remaining (keep a look out). I am still waiting on supplies with the biggest items being the MistKing and the stand for the exo.

I have not decided on lighting yet I was cosidering running 3 or 4 of the Fluval Plant Spectrum Bluetooth LED 3.0 Not sure if that would work or not.

My first task Is to silicone the sides and background so we dont see any foam I "should" have pictures of that In the next few weeks...

General photo of what I currently have.

Last edited by Pest; 08-04-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: wrong photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Those are great pieces of driftwood, there's lots of cool stuff you could do with them. Good luck, excited to see what you make of this.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:22 PM

Great decision waiting to add frogs. My best vivs always were put together slower and allowed to grow out. Hope all goes well and best of luck!

Old 08-05-2019, 01:43 AM

Default Re: First Build Journal: Exo Terra 36"x36"x18"

Looks like a great start. I will be eagerly watching this thread. I am planning a similar project for next summer and am really interested how you approach it.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:47 PM

Although I'm not wild about some parts of Imgur, they don't stamp uploaded photos to show where they're from like Photobucket apparently does now. It's also fairly easy to upload photos, just drag-and-drop or open multiple at once.

Very fine pieces of wood! I really like one of the photos in which the many pieces of wood are stacked together.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:29 AM

Can you use any great stuff foam, or does it have to be the pond one?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Cracks me up to read "first build journal" with the largest tank Exo makes, although the author does list a long history of tank design/builds...
My suggestion would be to be patient with the expandable foam application-- do small sections applied thinly and allowed to cure at least overnight. Fight the urge to fill the large void asap.
Best of luck
Old 08-09-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambilobe View Post
Can you use any great stuff foam, or does it have to be the pond one?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
You can use the regular Great Stuff if you don't mind the yellow color. I would avoid using the pest block GS due to pesticides in it.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Decided to mess around a bit. Just throwing some things together to decide how I want the hardscape to lay out. Nothing Final.

The stand for this just came in stock again and should be in next week.

The disaster in my living room

Some of the pieces I am looking at using.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 PM

Thumbs up Re: First Build Journal: Exo Terra 36"x36"x18"

I am also planning on the XLG Exo Terra at the end of the year... still researching hardscaping ideas. I'm excited to see your progress! I wish I had gone bigger for my first build. I think approaching a challenging project with backbone and determination will ultimately be that much MORE rewarding upon completion. I love reading reviews of equipment and modifications as well.

Last edited by POSTPUNKGIRL; 09-03-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:45 AM

Picture of the Stand received it a while back. Will be posting another update soon as well.

EDIT: Imgur clearly loses a lot of quality. Might end up paying for Photobucket...

Might be weird. Thinking of making a time-laps of the whole construction. Would anyone take the time to watch it if I decided to do it?

~Josiah

Last edited by Pest; 12-28-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Looking good! I would