Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 11:27 PM

Default DIY glass tank

Was wondering about peoples experiences with making their own glass tanks? What did they use for a support or just have the silicon keep the glass together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 11:40 PM

Tape is your friend! I just tape all the corners once I have them in place to keep them in place until the silicon cures. I sometime throw a few of my large school textbooks on the sides of the glass just as a safety precaution against falling and shattering but they've never been needed so far. Once you have all the supplies you need it's actually much easier than you think. There's videos online too, troy Goldberg has one and I believe Serpa has a few too. Are you planning a build?
Old 08-03-2019, 12:36 AM

Default Re: DIY glass tank

All my tanks are diy. Painters tape. Holds good and comes off easy with no stick left behind. I have built entire tanks from nothing but i prefer now to just buy old used aquariums and just build the tops. Much cheaper. I just bought a 55 gallon for 20$ on offerup. The glass for the top cost 40$ but i did the cutting myself to save cost. Building is usually cheaper than buying if you shop smart, but buying old glass and modifying will save you a bundle and functions just as well. Flip it if you want front open, or dont. I took a 40b, removed the trim, and constructed a eurostyle front. You wouldnt be able to tell that the glass used all came from multiple old/used sources. an old 40b + a pane i had to buy to replace a broken one, Old 10 gallon for the sliding doors, and a glass top i found in the back of a pet store that they decided to sell to me LOL I cut it up for the eurostyle front. What i am getting at is if you choose to go this route, take advantage of doing DIY and do your best to find the cheapest materials possible or DIY becomes a negative thing burning money and most of all time. Especially if you are new to diy, you WILL mess up. So you want to start as low cost as possible to build some experience first. If you become frusterated just remember it is a total learning process and you wont get good without a lot of mistakes to learn from. Good luck!