Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 PM

Default How to make a dripper?

OK, this seems silly, and I COULD shell out the $, but the idea seems so preposterous that I should be able to MAKE a dripper quite simply! Plus, the reviews on drippers and inconsistent are lackluster.

Has anyone made a dripper that worked? What's the trick?

In the past, I poked a pin hole in the bottom of a clean plastic bottle and let gravity have at it. Then I draped a cotton string from the bottle over the neck and let the water wick and then gravity took over. Neither made for a steady drip like that of an IV drip. What's the trick? It seems to need a little regulator, the little drippy compartment below the IV bag. Someone must be smart enough to figure this out!

Last edited by sasha; 07-25-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 02:59 AM

Default Re: How to make a dripper?

I was in the ER lately, and the nurse seemed quite proud of herself because she ran my meds in an old fashioned IV drip -- it seems hospitals have moved to pumps because the drip bags work fairly poorly.

Maybe you could buy one and steal that little drippy compartment:
https://www.amazon.com/ZorvoEnteral-...gateway&sr=8-1

I have to ask: what use have you for a dripper? I know the chameleon people use them (or did in the past, anyway; I don't keep up with the current state of too many corners of the herp hobby), but I can't imagine what use they'd have in a frog viv.

- Whitman
Old 07-26-2019, 06:59 AM

I’ve used an IV line with the end cut off as a “dripper” to acclimate new fish and shrimp.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM

I feel like we need more information as to what the end goal is here.

Are you looking for a single hole or nozzle to be continuously dripping or multiples as to create a drip wall?

We have a lot of info here on the board that can be referenced but in order to point in the right direction without assuming, we need more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 06:31 PM

An airline valve, used to regulate air pump flow, sold in any aquarium supply store can easily be used to make a controllable drip feature out of any jug, bucket, container. They are usually sold in packs of twos. Occasionally you can find valves of SS, but usually they are gang valves but I have even used those, dialing shut the extra valves.

But a simple commercial airline valve is adequate. A tip I would offer is to use plastic washers or even wee rubber O rings to moor the valve in place rather than silicone it in. In long term manipulation of the valve's adjustment, as well as washing out the feature in hot water duress of the seal happens.

Mastering flow takes familiarity. The water's weight affects drop frequency. In drinking applications for chameleons and other arboreal sauria, i start of with a drop every second with a screened reservoir created for the purpose of providing ample flow without flood factor.

But I have also applied monitored drips in other scenarios, including anuran habitats. It was useful for inciting breeding behavior and settling nervous WCs.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:27 PM

Also I have found it more controllable and efficient to use One drip and break up the drops with artifact positioned beneath the dripper than to open more valves, if using a gang. I have used a bio ball or a small artificial plant, attached below to break multiple rivulet, rather than using more than one valve, I found it more controllable. Fluid mechanics fun.

Using a drip is tricky but can achieve some desired principles, with deficits on the spectrum of drop rate too subtle to be meaningful, to over wetting without prior determinations of feature fill capacity and flow rate.