Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Teletom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2019, 04:30 AM

Default Which are the highest-quality water pumps / powerheads?

Hello!

I'm vaguely considering using a waterfall in a project I have wanted to try for a while. I'm not sure yet, though, so I wanted to do some research. I know this information is in other threads, but I want to make sure I get information specific to what I'm going to try to do.

What I'm trying to do is to create a waterfall that trickles slowly down a sort of corridor or canal. This means I need the pump to fill an unseen basin and spill out of it and into view.

(I know this is done often by other vivarists, but I have never done it this way. Usually my waterfalls end up looking more like garden hoses shooting out water.)

I'm wondering, what brand or type of pump is very useful? Which pumps require the least amount of cleaning and are less likely to fail abruptly? I will, of course, make the setup in such a way that I can retrieve the pump when it inevitably clogs, but I'd like to do that as seldom as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Which are the highest-quality water pumps / powerheads?

Amazon is your best bet, I just bought a 400gph pump with flow control that is relatively small with good reviews off of there for $20.

In regards to it being easy to change.... that I am not so sure about, especially if you want a seamless "natural" look.

I have egg crate with weed block mesh over it. This still lets water through but practically nothing else. My pumps havn't clogged in the 2+ years they have been in there. The only issue I had was one pump failing.
Kinstrome likes this.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:34 AM

Thank you for your response!

I won't be needing anything close to that high of a GPH rating. I have a 300-500 GPH pump in my terrarium, at the lowest setting, that shoots water 4 or 5 feet up and still exits the hose quite powerfully. I wouldn't need a pump to push water more than 12" vertically, and that water would only barely have to make it out of the pump. I'm thinking more like ~50 GPH, maybe fewer, although I don't know for sure.

The point about weed barrier is interesting. I had considered using it in the past, but I assumed that the flow of water would be too restricted for it to return to and replenish the pump. I tend to use mosquito netting, through which water passes almost unrestricted --- but, for the same reason, tiny particles get through over time. I will have to experiment with this! Maybe put weed barrier over a Solo cup and see how long it takes to pass through...

EDIT: I did a brief experiment using a bit of weed barrier, a rubber band, and a shot glass. At first it didn't seem to go through easily, but it passes quickly enough, it seems. Sometimes it would drain quickly then STOP for the last milliliter or so, even when there was plenty of space.

On the pumps, does anyone recommend a powerhead? I had heard it was more useful due to the diffuser on it and for one or two other reasons.

Last edited by Kinstrome; 07-23-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 PM

For 12" lift I'd go with an 80 gph fountain pump on amazon...cheap, reliable, and generate less heat than larger flow-rate pumps.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:41 PM

Thank you. I did buy one last night, not long after the previous post --- I wanted to get it in and experiment as soon as possible.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Plus-50-A...upplies&sr=1-1

It's not 80+ gph, but I don't know for sure that I'll even be pumping water 12" up, and that water only needs to barely reach out of there. If I had thought about it I probably would have ordered the next size up (85 gph), which is actually less expensive, but I didn't want it to force the water to move any faster than a gentle trickle. If this one doesn't work, I'll look at that one.

Tags
powerhead, pump, waterfall