facebook

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By SoloSK71
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 2 Post By MBrady
  • 1 Post By dartsinmanhattan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2019, 10:23 PM

Default Aquaillumination lighting Y or N?

I have seen people on facebook talking about using 2
Aquaillumination prime freshwater lights.
Prime Freshwater » AquaIllumination®

I have a 24x18x24 Exo. This will be my first build. Is this light acceptable? I am a little overwhelmed with all of the light information. I see Spectral designs mentioned a lot as well. I am trying to make this the best set up I can. I have already invested a lot of money so I don't mind spending it on something very essential like lighting.

Can I get some opinions on these lights?

Also, Should I get the Mist king basic or the ultimate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 11:02 PM

It does have optic lenses to spread but there’s still overlap per being in such close proximity to each led.

I’m not sure if an aquarium helps with refraction significantly for plants. I assume in my tanks that the light dispersion is nearly nothing compared to a liquid filled tank. Therefore I look towards greater led number and interval than concentrated intensity.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Aquaillumination lighting Y or N?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealDrug View Post
Also, Should I get the Mist king basic or the ultimate?
If this is the only vivarium you are going to have, even the Starter MistKing is overkill, although it's still the best choice even if that's your only viv. Starter Mistking can comfortably pump 1-10 nozzles at full power, and it can do this, I've confirmed personally, even when it is sitting 8 feet below the nozzles. (In other words, it can pump water 8 feet up and still fully spray out of 10 nozzles.)

The Ultimate is for a higher number of nozzles, 11 to 20 I believe, and the Advanced handles way more than that, up to something like 70 nozzles.

To give an idea of how great the coverage of MistKing is, you can look at my thread, which features an armoire of 330 gallons which, so far, has seen fine coverage with 1 MistKing Starter and 10 nozzles.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 AM

I use the AI Prime HD Freshwater. It's perfect for what I need. The spectrum should be perfect for both aquatic and terrestrial plants.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:21 AM

I will throw my Canadian $0.005 in here. I have multiples freshwater and saltwater aquariums as well as various sizes and heights of terrariums. I use high end lights in the aquariums as I have a lot of water to push the light through and plants, corals and other living things that need a LOT of light.

That being said, think about the typical biome where 95% of our plants and frogs are from. They are not from the crown of the forest or the verge. They come from inside the forest, either close to or on the forest floor, under multiple layers of leaves. Although it looks bright due to diffusion through the canopy, if you were to measure it you would find that the actual energy is not that great.

The last thing I want to see is this hobby (yeah, me speaking with all of a year of experience) going the way of the salt water aquarium hobby and high tech, high cost equipment being the end goal of 'advanced' hobbyists. This is not s slam by the way, if you WANT to go that way go ahead.

But it is not needed. I don't know of any terrarium plants that need the kind of power that an AI Prime or EcoTech Radion put out. Maybe if you have a 4 foot or 5 foot or higher enclosure?

Spectral Designs will do just fine for anything up to and including 40", unless someone can show me a commonly grown terrarium plant that needs that kind of light?

Solo
The Following User Says Thank You to SoloSK71 For This Useful Post:
Socratic Monologue (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
I will throw my Canadian $0.005 in here. I have multiples freshwater and saltwater aquariums as well as various sizes and heights of terrariums. I use high end lights in the aquariums as I have a lot of water to push the light through and plants, corals and other living things that need a LOT of light.

That being said, think about the typical biome where 95% of our plants and frogs are from. They are not from the crown of the forest or the verge. They come from inside the forest, either close to or on the forest floor, under multiple layers of leaves. Although it looks bright due to diffusion through the canopy, if you were to measure it you would find that the actual energy is not that great.

The last thing I want to see is this hobby (yeah, me speaking with all of a year of experience) going the way of the salt water aquarium hobby and high tech, high cost equipment being the end goal of 'advanced' hobbyists. This is not s slam by the way, if you WANT to go that way go ahead.

But it is not needed. I don't know of any terrarium plants that need the kind of power that an AI Prime or EcoTech Radion put out. Maybe if you have a 4 foot or 5 foot or higher enclosure?

Spectral Designs will do just fine for anything up to and including 40", unless someone can show me a commonly grown terrarium plant that needs that kind of light?

Solo
These are good points, Solo. I think every hobby can suffer from excess and there have been some vivs that I have seen where people are clearly adopting a best-that-money-can-buy approach, but I think that our hobby has kept clear of that sort of mentality for the most part. Some folks keep the frogs they do because of how much they cost, but I think that is a rarity for the most part.

You have a point about putting more light over a tank than might be needed. We had what I thought was a good discussion in this thread.

I believe that some tropical succulents have pretty high light requirements and it may take a bit more light to get some plants to grow low at the bottom of a tall tank (just like in planted aquariums).

Mark
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Not alot to add, but as to diffusion of clustered leds, you could always raise the light a bit to get better mixing, if there freshwater lights are in the same power range as saltwater, I can't imagine there would be that much of a drop in strength.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:46 AM

I agree with solo, I have a reef tank and I also run a prime on my 36 tall terrarium. Its a lot of light, I dont run mine at 100%. The prime is completely unnecessary but I like the tech, the controllability, the small footprint and for me the price isnt a big deal. Its more of a toy for me to tinker with. My terrarium would likely look the same with a light that is a fraction of the cost. Its a hobby and boils down to what makes you happy (and sometimes your wife) and what provide sufficient light to keep your inhabitants happy.

At only 24 tall, my guess is that the prime will be too powerful and that there are better options, spectral designs being one of them.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:55 PM

I had a 75 gallon reef tank (48' x 18" x 24" H) that I had to take down due back trouble keeping me from doing water changes. Rather than take it all apart, I turned it into a dart frog viv. I had a pair of Aquaillumination Hydra 52's (the model before the Prime) already on the tank, so with help from AI's tech guy, I set it at 6700K (mostly white with a little red and blue) at 50%. The fixtures are suspended 11" above the tank. It's been up for over a year and it's doing great. This spring, I had blooms on plants I didn't know were capable of blooming.

If you need help, go on the AI website and send a message to their customer support team. They are very helpful!
Old 06-22-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartsinmanhattan View Post
This spring, I had blooms on plants I didn't know were capable of blooming.
Can you say more about which plants bloomed for you? Or provide some pics?

- Whitman
Old 06-26-2019, 04:32 PM

I had blooms on a couple of Neoregelias and Tillandsias, plus Codonantha devosiana, Hypoestes phylostachya, Episcia Silver skies, plus a couple of orchids. I still have a few pics still on my phone, but frankly I have no idea how to get them from the phone to here...
Socratic Monologue likes this.