No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gryfer29
  • 1 Post By gryfer29

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Green house build log

Hey guys, thought I should post a build log for the new 6 by 10 greenhouse Iím building

This is what I got done so far:

Iím currently out of state so I wonít be able to work on it until I get back in a couple days

Please post suggestions/comments, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Green house build log

Btw, pretty off topic but check out some of the plants I found in the DC natural history museum

kromar likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:36 PM

That's looking really beautiful. Is it glass? It's cool that you are going the long-term type of protection rather than that kind of slat that's inexpensive and only lasts for one or two years.

If I'm not mistaken, that orchid in the second photograph is one I had been looking at with adoration on J&L Orchids, although I don't think it's there right now. It's stunningly beautiful, but I don't think it really responds well to terrariums, so I didn't buy it. (It was also like $40.)

I'm very interested in seeing how this develops. Please be as detailed as possible about your development; I have always wanted a greenhouse, but lacked the space for it.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
That's looking really beautiful. Is it glass? It's cool that you are going the long-term type of protection rather than that kind of slat that's inexpensive and only lasts for one or two years.

If I'm not mistaken, that orchid in the second photograph is one I had been looking at with adoration on J&L Orchids, although I don't think it's there right now. It's stunningly beautiful, but I don't think it really responds well to terrariums, so I didn't buy it. (It was also like $40.)

I'm very interested in seeing how this develops. Please be as detailed as possible about your development; I have always wanted a greenhouse, but lacked the space for it.

Thanks, the sides are clear polycarbonate panels, while the top will be UV resistant poly carbonate panels. I think the orchid in the second pic is some type of oncidium, they are usually better suited as houseplants than vivarium plants. Thank you for your interest in the build, I will try to be thorough with my posts, I plan on putting a shade cloth tarp 1 or 2 feet above the greenhouse so the plants donít cook.

Kinstrome likes this.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 AM

If it's something you're comfortable with doing, would you mind posting some of the expenses of doing this? Although I don't exactly have a superb amount of room to make a greenhouse, far and away the biggest problem is money. I had heard that, on average, greenhouses cost their builders something like $5,000 - $19,000 on average. That sounds a bit high to me, so I'd love input.

Polycarb is great, and I am certain it will turn out looking great, too.

And yeah, I hadn't really thought that that kind of orchid would be any good in a terrarium, anyway. It is very pretty, though. If I ever make a greenhouse, it will certainly be a resident.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
If it's something you're comfortable with doing, would you mind posting some of the expenses of doing this? Although I don't exactly have a superb amount of room to make a greenhouse, far and away the biggest problem is money. I had heard that, on average, greenhouses cost their builders something like $5,000 - $19,000 on average. That sounds a bit high to me, so I'd love input.

Polycarb is great, and I am certain it will turn out looking great, too.

And yeah, I hadn't really thought that that kind of orchid would be any good in a terrarium, anyway. It is very pretty, though. If I ever make a greenhouse, it will certainly be a resident.

So far Iíve paid 650ish for the greenhouse from amazon, I think your estimates are a little high, those numbers are definitely for much larger greenhouse. But so far Iíve only bought the greenhouse so you may be right

Old 06-14-2019, 10:22 PM

What do you plan on keeping in it?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post
What do you plan on keeping in it?

Mini orchid, broms, Viv plants, stuff that grows in 80-85 humidity

Old Today, 09:02 PM

Itís finally finished

I donít really know what to do know, I thinks I need a fogged, an irrigation system, maybe a cooler? Plz help

Old Today, 09:23 PM

What kind of climate do you live in? Besides 80-85% humidity.

I suspect for most of the year, at least, you don't need a heating system.

Would you be willing to explain costs? The website I had read that had had such high estimates (really, somewhere between $5,000 and $25,000) claimed that greenhouses roughly cost $25 per square foot, in the USA, of course. I'm curious if that follows for yours.

(Don't feel obligated to explain costs if you don't want to! I'm just curious.)
Old Today, 10:33 PM

Quote:
What kind of climate do you live in? Besides 80-85% humidity.

I suspect for most of the year, at least, you don't need a heating system.

Would you be willing to explain costs? The website I had read that had had such high estimates (really, somewhere between $5,000 and $25,000) claimed that greenhouses roughly cost $25 per square foot, in the USA, of course. I'm curious if that follows for yours.

(Don't feel obligated to explain costs if you don't want to! I'm just curious.)

My climate isnít 80-85, thatís the humidity I want the greenhouse to be, I live in Southern California, temps here range between 60-85f in the day and 50-70f at night (depending on season) humidity ranges from 40-70%.

I paid 630 for mine and it is 6 by 10 ft (Palram HG5510 Hybrid Greenhouse, 6' x 10' x 7', Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117K2Q30..._UvwcDbCWY33K5)
So far thatís 10.50 per square foot for me, keep in mind that this is just for the greenhouse, all the other equipment may bring it up to 25 per square foot.