Green house build log - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By gryfer29
  • 1 Post By gryfer29
  • 1 Post By gryfer29
  • 2 Post By gryfer29
  • 1 Post By Kinstrome
  • 1 Post By SoloSK71
  • 1 Post By FrogPrince

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Green house build log

Hey guys, thought I should post a build log for the new 6 by 10 greenhouse Iím building

This is what I got done so far:

Iím currently out of state so I wonít be able to work on it until I get back in a couple days

Please post suggestions/comments, thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Btw, pretty off topic but check out some of the plants I found in the DC natural history museum




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kromar likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Kinstrome's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, US
Posts: 357
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

That's looking really beautiful. Is it glass? It's cool that you are going the long-term type of protection rather than that kind of slat that's inexpensive and only lasts for one or two years.

If I'm not mistaken, that orchid in the second photograph is one I had been looking at with adoration on J&L Orchids, although I don't think it's there right now. It's stunningly beautiful, but I don't think it really responds well to terrariums, so I didn't buy it. (It was also like $40.)

I'm very interested in seeing how this develops. Please be as detailed as possible about your development; I have always wanted a greenhouse, but lacked the space for it.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
That's looking really beautiful. Is it glass? It's cool that you are going the long-term type of protection rather than that kind of slat that's inexpensive and only lasts for one or two years.



If I'm not mistaken, that orchid in the second photograph is one I had been looking at with adoration on J&L Orchids, although I don't think it's there right now. It's stunningly beautiful, but I don't think it really responds well to terrariums, so I didn't buy it. (It was also like $40.)



I'm very interested in seeing how this develops. Please be as detailed as possible about your development; I have always wanted a greenhouse, but lacked the space for it.


Thanks, the sides are clear polycarbonate panels, while the top will be UV resistant poly carbonate panels. I think the orchid in the second pic is some type of oncidium, they are usually better suited as houseplants than vivarium plants. Thank you for your interest in the build, I will try to be thorough with my posts, I plan on putting a shade cloth tarp 1 or 2 feet above the greenhouse so the plants donít cook.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kinstrome likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2019, 02:13 AM
Kinstrome's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, US
Posts: 357
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

If it's something you're comfortable with doing, would you mind posting some of the expenses of doing this? Although I don't exactly have a superb amount of room to make a greenhouse, far and away the biggest problem is money. I had heard that, on average, greenhouses cost their builders something like $5,000 - $19,000 on average. That sounds a bit high to me, so I'd love input.

Polycarb is great, and I am certain it will turn out looking great, too.

And yeah, I hadn't really thought that that kind of orchid would be any good in a terrarium, anyway. It is very pretty, though. If I ever make a greenhouse, it will certainly be a resident.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
If it's something you're comfortable with doing, would you mind posting some of the expenses of doing this? Although I don't exactly have a superb amount of room to make a greenhouse, far and away the biggest problem is money. I had heard that, on average, greenhouses cost their builders something like $5,000 - $19,000 on average. That sounds a bit high to me, so I'd love input.



Polycarb is great, and I am certain it will turn out looking great, too.



And yeah, I hadn't really thought that that kind of orchid would be any good in a terrarium, anyway. It is very pretty, though. If I ever make a greenhouse, it will certainly be a resident.


So far Iíve paid 650ish for the greenhouse from amazon, I think your estimates are a little high, those numbers are definitely for much larger greenhouse. But so far Iíve only bought the greenhouse so you may be right


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,740
Thanks: 89
Thanked 80 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

What do you plan on keeping in it?
__________________
Michael
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post
What do you plan on keeping in it?


Mini orchid, broms, Viv plants, stuff that grows in 80-85 humidity


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Itís finally finished

I donít really know what to do know, I thinks I need a fogged, an irrigation system, maybe a cooler? Plz help


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kinstrome likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Kinstrome's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, US
Posts: 357
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

What kind of climate do you live in? Besides 80-85% humidity.

I suspect for most of the year, at least, you don't need a heating system.

Would you be willing to explain costs? The website I had read that had had such high estimates (really, somewhere between $5,000 and $25,000) claimed that greenhouses roughly cost $25 per square foot, in the USA, of course. I'm curious if that follows for yours.

(Don't feel obligated to explain costs if you don't want to! I'm just curious.)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2019, 11:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
What kind of climate do you live in? Besides 80-85% humidity.

I suspect for most of the year, at least, you don't need a heating system.

Would you be willing to explain costs? The website I had read that had had such high estimates (really, somewhere between $5,000 and $25,000) claimed that greenhouses roughly cost $25 per square foot, in the USA, of course. I'm curious if that follows for yours.

(Don't feel obligated to explain costs if you don't want to! I'm just curious.)


My climate isnít 80-85, thatís the humidity I want the greenhouse to be, I live in Southern California, temps here range between 60-85f in the day and 50-70f at night (depending on season) humidity ranges from 40-70%.

I paid 630 for mine and it is 6 by 10 ft (Palram HG5510 Hybrid Greenhouse, 6' x 10' x 7', Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117K2Q30..._UvwcDbCWY33K5)
So far thatís 10.50 per square foot for me, keep in mind that this is just for the greenhouse, all the other equipment may bring it up to 25 per square foot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Encyclia and Kinstrome like this.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Kinstrome's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, US
Posts: 357
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Let us know how things are going, if you've been able to install anything new!

I can't really speak for an irrigation system, a fogger, or a cooler, knowing as little of the mechanics of greenhouses as I do.

EDIT: Also, I think that the estimates were made based on the structure of the greenhouse, and even if they weren't, I don't think your supplies will bring your expenses up to $25/sqft. That would be something like ~$1,000 more than you already paid, I think? My impression is that that isn't how much it's going to cost, unless you're going for exorbitant supplies.
gryfer29 likes this.

Last edited by Kinstrome; 06-24-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:09 PM
DPfarr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SACRAMENTO
Posts: 354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Shade cloth. Aluminet type might be best.

Get an RO system for it. Unless you’ve great water, which isn’t likely in SoCal.

I’ve a few hygrofogger in various greenhouse rooms. They’re connected to simple humidistats.

Try looking for a swamp cooler on Craigslist maybe? Or at least see how hot your greenhouse gets on a hot day while you have some shade cloth up on it with humidity inside it.

Get a fan too.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 AM
SoloSK71's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfer29 View Post
My climate isnít 80-85, thatís the humidity I want the greenhouse to be, I live in Southern California, temps here range between 60-85f in the day and 50-70f at night (depending on season) humidity ranges from 40-70%.

I paid 630 for mine and it is 6 by 10 ft (Palram HG5510 Hybrid Greenhouse, 6' x 10' x 7', Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117K2Q30..._UvwcDbCWY33K5)
So far thatís 10.50 per square foot for me, keep in mind that this is just for the greenhouse, all the other equipment may bring it up to 25 per square foot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having just gone through the process of getting a quote for a greenhouse (and the sphincter tightening quote) I think I can see the difference.

Comparing an Amazon 'greenhouse' to the type of purpose built greenhouse that you are thinking of is comparing two different things.

Custom built greenhouses are intended to last 25+ years. They are wind (140 MPH) and snow load (100 psf) (you may laugh but I saw a greenhouse up in the Rocky Mountains growing orchids at -30F and with 3 feet of snow on the ground) rated.

Purpose built greenhouses have a permanent foundation.

While I am not able to comment on the specific Amazon product, purpose built greenhouses use EPDM gaskets around the windows and doors.

The glass used on purpose built greenhouses is often tempered and glazed. You can get insulated options as well for both heat and cold.

The aluminum frame on a purpose built greenhouse can hold not only your steel greenhouse shelving but also hanging baskets up to 80 pounds.

To make a long story short, including foundation, base wall and home-attached greenhouse, for a 12' x 14' x 7' (sloping up to 9') greenhouse I was looking at ~$280 a square foot. And that is not with all the upgrades.

Needless to say I am sticking with the terrariums.

Solo
Kinstrome likes this.
__________________
0.0.0 D. tinc Azureus
0.1.0 Velociraptor sp. micro furry purring
0.1.0 Amazing spouse
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 03:19 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Good choice of plants, looking forward to seeing the progress.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 03:49 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Thanks for the responses everyone, im going to be looking for options around my area for a swamp cooler and irrigation system. If i notice the greenhouse getting too hot i will definitely look into a shade cloth, is RO water really necessary, can i do without it?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 AM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 46
Thanked 131 Times in 126 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfer29 View Post
is RO water really necessary, can i do without it?
Not sure why someone would even want to try to get by on tap water, given the low cost of an RO unit.

What is the TDS of your tap water? Are you currently using tap water for watering/misting?
__________________
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd.

- Whitman
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:10 AM
Kinstrome's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, US
Posts: 357
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Not sure why someone would even want to try to get by on tap water, given the low cost of an RO unit.

What is the TDS of your tap water? Are you currently using tap water for watering/misting?
The unit itself is inexpensive, but the cartridges can be expensive. If I was told correctly that they need to be replaced every 6 months, regardless of how much water was actually used, that could amount to a decent amount of money per year.

EDIT: Well, of course, I'm assuming other people are using a cartridge type system, which is not necessarily the case.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:14 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Not sure why someone would even want to try to get by on tap water, given the low cost of an RO unit.

What is the TDS of your tap water? Are you currently using tap water for watering/misting?


Iím not sure about the TDS of my water were can I get that info?

I currently keep 2 vivs, I have 4 epiphytic orchids in them and two jewel orchids, both the jewel orchids have shown substantial growth, my bulbophylum lasiochilum has also had two new growths in the past couple of months, the other 3 are new, one of them is about to die but I donít think itís because of the water.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:17 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
The unit itself is inexpensive, but the cartridges can be expensive. If I was told correctly that they need to be replaced every 6 months, regardless of how much water was actually used, that could amount to a decent amount of money per year.

EDIT: Well, of course, I'm assuming other people are using a cartridge type system, which is not necessarily the case.


I have looked into RO systems and they arenít too pricey, I just donít want to go through the hassle of Iím getting results with tap water, also would I connect the RO system to my hose? Or would I have to fill up a reservoir with RO water?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:27 AM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 46
Thanked 131 Times in 126 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfer29 View Post
Iím not sure about the TDS of my water were can I get that info?
If you are on municipal water, your water department can provide water quality data. Otherwise, a TDS meter is cheap and easy to use.

I'm not sure a couple months is enough to determine if the water you are using is worth using on a large scale. Maybe your water is fine, but if it were me, I'd put some time into researching water quality before I put too much time and money into a greenhouse project. Sometimes issues crop up after long use (salt build up in potting media, misting nozzle clogs, chlorosis from pH issues).

The OAS bulletin has had, over the years, some good articles about water quality. Sue Bottom, who wrote a lot of that, has some articles here:

https://staugorchidsociety.org/culture-water.htm

I haven't read through to see what's all there, but I'm sure it is a good place to start.
__________________
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd.

- Whitman
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
If you are on municipal water, your water department can provide water quality data. Otherwise, a TDS meter is cheap and easy to use.



I'm not sure a couple months is enough to determine if the water you are using is worth using on a large scale. Maybe your water is fine, but if it were me, I'd put some time into researching water quality before I put too much time and money into a greenhouse project. Sometimes issues crop up after long use (salt build up in potting media, misting nozzle clogs, chlorosis from pH issues).



The OAS bulletin has had, over the years, some good articles about water quality. Sue Bottom, who wrote a lot of that, has some articles here:



https://staugorchidsociety.org/culture-water.htm



I haven't read through to see what's all there, but I'm sure it is a good place to start.


Itís been longer than a couple months, maybe the better part of a year, Iím just saying the lasiochylum I added six months ago started showing growth two months ago. Iíll check my water though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 46
Thanked 131 Times in 126 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
The unit itself is inexpensive, but the cartridges can be expensive.
They can be, but shouldn't be. I spend ~$30 a year on prefilters (and I use a high-end carbon block), and another ~$75 or so every three years to replace the membrane and DI media. Fifty bucks a year; that's the cost of maybe two or three plants.
__________________
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd.

- Whitman
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:34 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Do you guys have any recommendations for an irrigation system?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 06:03 AM
DPfarr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SACRAMENTO
Posts: 354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

If you can T out from a hose facet for a line to a swamp cooler and a hose.

Regardless of heat, the light levels might be too great otherwise. You could do a whitewash on it to diffuse light levels. Washes away by winter rains and you generally want more light by then anyways.

In regards to using RO, my water’s ppm isn’t very high but still makes a difference in growing some orchids and who knows what else really suffers. Ive been making an effort to flush my Welwitschia at least twice a month. Doing so allowed it to produce cones or microstrobili as it appears to be.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Kinstrome's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, US
Posts: 357
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
(Snip)
I should have said --- I did not even think about it --- that my feelings that $5k - $25k were a "bit too high" were based on the assumption that people would be building their own greenhouses by themselves. I suppose I was reading too much literature about building greenhouses and forgot that some people don't have the time for that.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

I think the whitewash is a great idea. Full sun on a greenhouse in SoCal has got to be brutal. Shade cloth or lath would be a longer-term solution - you could even build a little frame structure over / around the GH, to support the shading material. Such a structure could also support any other required climate-modifying devices like plumbing, fans, or a swampie. (I'd think a swampie could work great in that dry climate, and the humidity boost would be a serious plus. In your nearly frost-free area, winterizing would be a piece of cake.)

good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2019, 02:04 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgragg View Post
I think the whitewash is a great idea. Full sun on a greenhouse in SoCal has got to be brutal. Shade cloth or lath would be a longer-term solution - you could even build a little frame structure over / around the GH, to support the shading material. Such a structure could also support any other required climate-modifying devices like plumbing, fans, or a swampie. (I'd think a swampie could work great in that dry climate, and the humidity boost would be a serious plus. In your nearly frost-free area, winterizing would be a piece of cake.)

good luck!
That's a good idea, I think i remembered reading something on a thread about verdent vivariums greenhouse about a shade cloth structure. I think ill probably try that. Tbh my greenhouse doesn't even appear that hot in the middle of the day, maybe its because i'm not in there for a long period of time.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2019, 03:16 AM
SoloSK71's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
I should have said --- I did not even think about it --- that my feelings that $5k - $25k were a "bit too high" were based on the assumption that people would be building their own greenhouses by themselves. I suppose I was reading too much literature about building greenhouses and forgot that some people don't have the time for that.
That was building it myself

Of course that was Canadian money so it was like $5k US

Solo
__________________
0.0.0 D. tinc Azureus
0.1.0 Velociraptor sp. micro furry purring
0.1.0 Amazing spouse
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 PM
Kinstrome's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, US
Posts: 357
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
That was building it myself

Of course that was Canadian money so it was like $5k US

Solo
Holy shit.

That's insane. (Of course, it's a lot more than $5k USD. But you're joking about that part )

Anyway, there go my fantasies of building a long-lasting greenhouse. Probably for the better, though. If I had read too much into it, I would have tried to build one whether or not it was several time outside my budget.
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2019, 01:06 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

I've had a greenhouse for many years, a Lord and Burnham 20X20 glass. To answer some practical questions, Yes you'll need shade cloth ASAP unless you want to cook your plants. Mines glass so I use a product from Charleys greenhouse supply that is applied with a roller and it's density depends on how much is added. I also use 50% shade cloth year round inside and add during the summer months another 45% to any section where there are plants. Practically speaking, all my plants go outside for the summer to a lath house for optimum growth. I highly suggest you build one. Your greenhouse being smaller will heat up that much quicker so beware. I additionally have an evaporative cooler to control the heat. Humidity is easy, You can go simple with under the bench sprinklers set on a timer or complex with humidity controls and the like. Fans too are a must as well as exhaust fans for sure to get the air out. There is so much more to tell but bottom line watch out for the heat buildup and sun burnt plants, it has happened to all of us.
Kinstrome likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Green house build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPrince View Post
I've had a greenhouse for many years, a Lord and Burnham 20X20 glass. To answer some practical questions, Yes you'll need shade cloth ASAP unless you want to cook your plants. Mines glass so I use a product from Charleys greenhouse supply that is applied with a roller and it's density depends on how much is added. I also use 50% shade cloth year round inside and add during the summer months another 45% to any section where there are plants. Practically speaking, all my plants go outside for the summer to a lath house for optimum growth. I highly suggest you build one. Your greenhouse being smaller will heat up that much quicker so beware. I additionally have an evaporative cooler to control the heat. Humidity is easy, You can go simple with under the bench sprinklers set on a timer or complex with humidity controls and the like. Fans too are a must as well as exhaust fans for sure to get the air out. There is so much more to tell but bottom line watch out for the heat buildup and sun burnt plants, it has happened to all of us.


Thanks for the advice


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.