Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 03:34 AM

Default Water filtration in paludarium questions.

Hey folks!

Building a paludarium for some reed frogs. I started with a waterfall, it leaked. Bought a reptifilter, it is to tall for what I want. Sowly talking myself out of a waterfall as I really don't want to tear it apart if something fails. I do have a bulkhead drain that I could possibly do an outside pump and have it fall from the top vs the bottom.

I want a few live aquatic plants and maybe a couple shrimp. Nothing crazy as it is only a 12x12x24 Exo.

My question is, can I get by with just an airstone under the egg crate false bottom or is there a better way to filter the water. I am hoping to avoid filtering the water outside of the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Water filtration in paludarium questions.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking for water filtration with or without the waterfall pump installed?

I've learned firsthand after three waterfall-pump terrariums, which had buried and inaccessible waterfall pumps, that it's almost as good as not having a waterfall system at all. The pumps clog, you can't get to them without tearing the setup apart, it ends up being useless. So if you can't get access to the waterfall pump, you may want to talk yourself out of it. A paludarium can still be very beautiful with no waterfall.

As for keeping the water clean without a sump, I don't know. If it were just a drainage layer with no life intended to live in the water, I would just suggest having a way to drain all the water. Obviously you can't do that with aquatic life.

Someone else had a similar question, although I don't know if it's exactly the same: https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...rculation.html It may be good to read, if no one else more knowledgeable than I am about paludariums responds to this thread.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Water filtration in paludarium questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking for water filtration with or without the waterfall pump installed?

I've learned firsthand after three waterfall-pump terrariums, which had buried and inaccessible waterfall pumps, that it's almost as good as not having a waterfall system at all. The pumps clog, you can't get to them without tearing the setup apart, it ends up being useless. So if you can't get access to the waterfall pump, you may want to talk yourself out of it. A paludarium can still be very beautiful with no waterfall.

As for keeping the water clean without a sump, I don't know. If it were just a drainage layer with no life intended to live in the water, I would just suggest having a way to drain all the water. Obviously you can't do that with aquatic life.

Someone else had a similar question, although I don't know if it's exactly the same: https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...rculation.html It may be good to read, if no one else more knowledgeable than I am about paludariums responds to this thread.

Would like to do it without a waterfall as it is becoming a PITA.