Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kinstrome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 07:49 PM

I tried searching for these on Google and on the dendroboard here but I couldn't find enough information to allow me to make a decision. I recently purchased a 36x18x24 for a decent price and was wondering what modifications I should make to it to allow for PDFs.

-What should I do about Glass tops.. try to get a piece to fit inside of the black housing or replace the top altogether?

- Mesh side screen? Should I plug this up?

-What type of glass is it? Was wanting to have it drilled for drainage..

Any information about these would be helpful. I emailed PetSmart but they couldn't help me..

Last edited by agq07; 06-08-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 10:00 PM

Default Re: National Geographic Terrariums

I don't know much about a Nat Geo tank, or how it differs from a typical Exo Terra or other glass tank, but I'll answer what I can.

Quote:
-What should I do about Glass tops.. try to get a piece to fit inside of the black housing or replace the top altogether?
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...ml#post3065328

^This post details some info on sealing wire mesh tops with glass or plastic wrap in order to both preserve humidity and allow passive ventilation.

Quote:
- Mesh side screen? Should I plug this up?
If it's for PDFs, yeah, if by "plug this up" you mean "block off air flow with glass or some other impermeable material." When I think of mesh I think of chameleons.

Quote:
-What type of glass is it? Was wanting to have it drilled for drainage..
The only meaningful distinction I know of in the pet world is "tempered glass vs non-tempered glass." If you're wondering if it's tempered glass and, therefore, impossible to drill without shattering: I've never heard of a pet tank that is made of tempered glass. I believe you can test tempered glass by getting light (like sunlight) to pass through it, and looking for a pattern inside of it, but I'm almost certain your tank isn't tempered glass.

Is it possible for you to post a picture of this tank? It might help explain some things and figure out the answers.

EDIT: Regarding the screen sides: I was imagining a whole side wall being a screen, rather than a little portal that's screened for air ventilation. In that case, I don't know. I'd wait for a real PDF expert to answer that, and re-answer some of the things I may have got wrong.
Socratic Monologue likes this.

Last edited by Kinstrome; 06-08-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:33 AM

Thank you for the reply!

The top: https://i.imgur.com/HDunIEs.jpg

Top without one side :https://i.imgur.com/uBsBcel.jpg

Mesh Gap between housing: https://i.imgur.com/wepPqgz.jpg

Side panel with mesh (excuse the foot lol): https://i.imgur.com/pZe9qeQ.jpg

Old 06-09-2019, 08:30 PM

Default Re: National Geographic Terrariums

I can see what you were talking about now about the sides.

I'm about 90% sure you'll want to put something over the tops, but whether to close all of the top or just part of the top, I don't know. The only reason you'd want to close the whole top is if the mesh areas on the left / right side provide enough (but not too much) ventilation by themselves.

This is an area where I defer to actual PDF-keepers. My understanding is frogs live comfortably in humidity upwards of 80%, so the tank must be modified with that in mind. If no one else answers with more specific instructions, I guess you could test the humidity with a hygrometer after you complete the terrarium but before you add frogs. Find a piece of glass and put it over the mesh top, then put in the hygrometer (don't leave hygrometers in, as they can malfunction due to moisture getting inside them and therefore read the wrong numbers) for a few minutes, and observe whether it's the right humidity or not. Then test again with bigger or smaller glass, if you have enough different sizes of glass to be able to do so.

This is all IF you don't get more specific input from another frogger here.

As far as the glass, though, I am 99% sure it's not tempered glass, and thus it is safe to drill. Just follow the basics of drilling glass: it usually shatters because it overheats, so get a water drip on it or rig a temporarily "water basin" with clay or something so that the glass is literally submerged in water the whole time you're drilling it. And don't rush, of course. Look up a video on YouTube if you are super concerned.

Alternately, if you're just looking for drainage, you don't necessarily have to drill glass. You can put a PVC pipe through the drainage layer to suck up water, then disguise it in a cork round or something; whatever your imagination wants, really. Then you just pick up whatever's hiding the PVC pipe, and suck that water out of the drainage layer.