Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Parts & Construction (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/)
-   -   20g High Vivarium w/ Pond Build (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/351754-20g-high-vivarium-w-pond-build.html)

Alphonsus 05-27-2019 03:22 PM

20g High Vivarium w/ Pond Build

3 Attachment(s)
This is my 20 gallon high that houses a couple of dubia roaches(adults and nymphs) as well as 2 small(about 2") millipedes. The tank is 24"x12"x16" and the pond section is 7"x6"X4". The back holds a pump section that's 4"x4"X4". As of right now not sure what I want to do with the pump, whether to do a stream from the corner to the pond or just do a mini stream from the little of the section near the pond. I ordered some plants and cork bark(flats and tubes) from NEHERP, will probably get here by Thursday. Feel free to give ideas!

Alphonsus 05-27-2019 03:26 PM

Re: 20g High Vivarium w/ Pond Build

1 Attachment(s)
Any suggestions for where the pump should lead?

Alphonsus 05-27-2019 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a possible placement for the output in order to make a stream, I could also put the airline tube on the bottom to lead to the section near the pond and have it out put there but still deciding. I'm gonna use GS to make the styrofoam stick to the glass to make it sturdy. I filled it with water and it works. I'll see if I can make a stream

Kinstrome 05-27-2019 07:19 PM

I think a stream going from one corner to the other would be attractive, if I'm understanding correctly that the pump is in that little cube-shaped recess and the pond is in the other recess in the other corner. I'm afraid I don't know enough about insect life to know if they'd be endangered by a slow-moving stream in any way. I wouldn't think so.

My general experience with waterfalls, though, is that the shorter distance the length of pipe goes and the shorter distance the stream goes, the less likely things are to fail to do what they're supposed to do. My alma mater had a somewhat elaborate ceiling-to-floor wall waterfall that, by the time I got there, wasn't really covering with water the whole area it was supposed to cover. Before I left it had been shut off and the pool at the bottom converted into a plant bed.

I don't know what kind of stream you're picturing, of course. If it's running through a simple groove in the ground, it's a lot harder for it to screw up than if it's supposed to cascade gently over several different surfaces. In the latter case, some slight upset could make the water just decide not to spill over part of it.

Alphonsus 05-28-2019 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinstrome (Post 3064804)
I think a stream going from one corner to the other would be attractive, if I'm understanding correctly that the pump is in that little cube-shaped recess and the pond is in the other recess in the other corner. I'm afraid I don't know enough about insect life to know if they'd be endangered by a slow-moving stream in any way. I wouldn't think so.

My general experience with waterfalls, though, is that the shorter distance the length of pipe goes and the shorter distance the stream goes, the less likely things are to fail to do what they're supposed to do.

I don't know what kind of stream you're picturing, of course. If it's running through a simple groove in the ground, it's a lot harder for it to screw up than if it's supposed to cascade gently over several different surfaces. In the latter case, some slight upset could make the water just decide not to spill over part of it.

Don't think the cockroaches will mind the slow flowing water, the pump is really small, lol even if I did the water fall from the roof down, it wouldn't be possible cause the pump couldn't bring the water that high.

I think, you're right, gonna do a stream from the corner of the pump to the corner of the pool, it will cut the land area in half, of course the it will be shallow, probably will have rocks, think I'm gonna use styrofoam as the base.

Alphonsus 06-06-2019 08:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just got my shipment from NEHERP, got all the supplies! Only complaint about them is the long shipping time, I ordered May 27th, and finally arrived June 6th, they didn't actually ship my order till 2 days ago.

I foamed the cork bark for my background, will probably silicone tonight in order to let the soil sit over night to dry. Still got 1 8 inch cork sheet and 2 6 inch tubes left. Starting to carve it now!!!

Kinstrome 06-06-2019 09:43 PM

Neat work with the waterfall route. Am I correct in thinking it's sort of going to be a bridge? It will look nice either way.

And yeah, I've had similar experiences with NEHERP. I guess that's just the price of useful products. I never order anything from them I need ASAP.

Having insect life yourself, do you know of any other arthropods that are good viv pets? I've considered getting into it.

Alphonsus 06-06-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinstrome (Post 3065268)
Neat work with the waterfall route. Am I correct in thinking it's sort of going to be a bridge? It will look nice either way.

And yeah, I've had similar experiences with NEHERP. I guess that's just the price of useful products. I never order anything from them I need ASAP.

Having insect life yourself, do you know of any other arthropods that are good viv pets? I've considered getting into it.

In a way I guess it's a bridge, however I just wanted that gap so that the two lands(behind waterfall and in front) are connected rather than entirely separated.

Yeah, I ordered from NEHERP before, it was a 20 gallong high terrarium kit(soil,leaves, and stones) and that took awhile, very good quality product but like you said, shouldn't buy from them if I need stuff ASAP or doing a project.

In terms of arthrodpods, no idea. For vivariums, you could do tropical types of cockroaches, perhaps a different morph of isopods, millipedes, blue death feigning beetle, mantids(depend on species), giant vinegaroon, scorpions like an emperor.

Alphonsus 06-07-2019 12:42 AM

Finish carving and silicon. Only thing is I finished half a bottle of old silicone and didn't want to open a new one, so there will be patches, letting it air out for the night. Tomorrow will start adding soil, plants, inhabitants and water!

Alphonsus 06-07-2019 05:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics:

fishingguy12345 06-07-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinstrome (Post 3065268)

If you were setting up the vivarium just for the arthropods, then the following make great pets:
Tailless whipscorpions /ambliplygy(Damon diadema, Paraphrynus cubensis) (they tend to like it on the drier side with lots of vertical objects to hang onto, I saw an amazing setup like this at a zoo, and had success breeding them myself with a similar setup, they're also communal so it can be great to watch them interact)

Centipedes, could do a nice setup with scolopendra polymorpha or S. subspinipes, tropical plants, etc.

Alphonsus 06-07-2019 05:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finish planting and adding inhabitants!!!

Kinstrome 06-07-2019 07:25 PM

Very pretty! How is the waterfall flowing? (I can see now that when I said it looks like a bridge, I was looking at it the wrong way. It had seemed that there was a hollow under the riverbed.)

Quote:

In terms of arthrodpods, no idea. For vivariums, you could do tropical types of cockroaches, perhaps a different morph of isopods, millipedes, blue death feigning beetle, mantids(depend on species), giant vinegaroon, scorpions like an emperor.
Quote:

If you were setting up the vivarium just for the arthropods, then the following make great pets:
Tailless whipscorpions /ambliplygy(Damon diadema, Paraphrynus cubensis) (they tend to like it on the drier side with lots of vertical objects to hang onto, I saw an amazing setup like this at a zoo, and had success breeding them myself with a similar setup, they're also communal so it can be great to watch them interact)

Centipedes, could do a nice setup with scolopendra polymorpha or S. subspinipes, tropical plants, etc.
I was wondering if there were any other beetles that work well with a planted environment, like stag / rhino / hercules beetles?

I took a class in Yucatan once, part of which involved being in a tremendously uncivilized neck of the woods --- probably no electricity in a 75 mile radius from it. It was very much a tropical wooded environment, and there were creepy-crawlies out the wazoo. Once at night, I heard what sounded like a little helicopter flying around me. The next day when I described it, one of the guides said they knew what it was, and he showed me the corpse of a 6" beetle.

I doubt 6" beetles are exactly a norm in the insect pet world, but that's just an example.

fishingguy12345 06-07-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinstrome (Post 3065346)
Very pretty! How is the waterfall flowing? (I can see now that when I said it looks like a bridge, I was looking at it the wrong way. It had seemed that there was a hollow under the riverbed.)

I was wondering if there were any other beetles that work well with a planted environment, like stag / rhino / hercules beetles?

I took a class in Yucatan once, part of which involved being in a tremendously uncivilized neck of the woods --- probably no electricity in a 75 mile radius from it. It was very much a tropical wooded environment, and there were creepy-crawlies out the wazoo. Once at night, I heard what sounded like a little helicopter flying around me. The next day when I described it, one of the guides said they knew what it was, and he showed me the corpse of a 6" beetle.

I doubt 6" beetles are exactly a norm in the insect pet world, but that's just an example.

I don't have any experience with beetles, sorry. I'm sure there are some that would work. My favorite place for invertebrate information is www.arachnoboards.com