Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DPfarr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019, 05:15 AM

Default Basic Questions on Vivarium Build

I have a simple 20g high vivarium build, however I added oak leaves from outside a couple months ago without sterilizing and now I have a slug problem. The vivarium is housing a handful of dubia roaches...I know ewwww, but I find them interesting! I'm gonna completely strip the vivarium and sterilize(using oven) everything.

I plan on using a false bottom setup, I want to have a water feature, was thinking of doing a stream or waterfall but decided that may be too complicated, so I think I'm gonna do just a pond.

My questions:
-do I really need to apply silicone before great stuff?

-how much substrate should I use?(currently using 4.5 inch ABG, 3 inch rocks,which takes up half the volume of terrarium)

-what type of plants?(ordering from NEHERP, thinking a Cryptanthus bivitattus)

-do I silicone cork bark on glass first or just place cork bark on greatstuff?

-do I silicone the false bottom to the aquarium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 AM

My questions: -do I really need to apply silicone before great stuff?
I don’t. I use the black waterfall/pond foam. I’ve never had issue w it detaching from glass.

-how much substrate should I use?(currently using 4.5 inch ABG, 3 inch rocks,which takes up half the volume of terrarium)
4.5 inches is a lot. A third of that should be adequate. I have one terrarium with clay balls and there’s two issues I think makes it a detriment to me.
1)weight. When I have to move it, the extra weight of that wet rock is significant.
2)volume. Because that rock occupies a significant portion of the space below the substrate, it can hold less water. It needs to be drained twice as often as the false bottom tanks.

-what type of plants?(ordering from NEHERP, thinking a Cryptanthus bivitattus)
Have fun with whatever you like. Pleurothallid orchids work well. Marcgravia are a fun genus.

-do I silicone cork bark on glass first or just place cork bark on greatstuff?
I foam the cork etc in place. It expands about 3-4x what you spray out.

-do I silicone the false bottom to the aquarium?
I use black silicone to obscure everything below the substrate so you can’t see the infrastructure down there. Many of us create a little platform out of the egg crate https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskoli...233A/202025149
then put some landscape cloth over the top of it
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-3...42RV/302720132
Create an opening you can easily access to siphon out water before you cover it all over with your ABG.
Encyclia and Alphonsus like this.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Basic Questions on Vivarium Build

Just bought an egg crate to day at Lowes-HomeDepot didn't carry them in store-will think about my design. Gonna be using window screen to cover the egg crate.

@DPfarr when you say foam it in place, did you mean do a layout and then foam the background? Also once I make an eggcrate structure, do I take it out than do great stuff, or leave the egg crate then do foam?

I think I'm gonna do a little hil in a corner, where I'll place a water pump to circulate the water, that area will probably be a place to siphon water. Still trying to figure a way to allow the pond to have good circulation

Old 05-25-2019, 05:10 AM

For me that makes sense to have the pieces where I want them and proceed with conservative amounts of great stuff application.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Basic Questions on Vivarium Build

Yep, that's probably what I'm gonna do, don't want to have too thick of a back ground and don't want to make it so the bottom layer of great stuff won't dry.

Do you know if sprinkling water on the great stuff helps it to dry faster?