Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Dane
  • 2 Post By cmk
  • 1 Post By Dane
  • 1 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 PM

Default Enclosures

Planing on 4-6 R Benedicta. Looking for your thoughts on a 36X18X18 Exoterra vs 29 gallon aquarium. For the latter, your views on the aquarium in normal position or resting on its short side in vertical position?
Thanks
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 12:19 AM
Mod

Default Re: Enclosures

Aside from 10g aquariums for grow-outs, I'll never go back to top-opening vivs. If you go with the 29, make it a front-access vert. You'll thank me later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dane For This Useful Post:
Philsuma (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 06:26 AM

For me, I'll never put benidicta or fantastica in a front opening tank ever again. Those guys are way too fast and flighty. They get spooked when they're in the back corner of the tank and fly through the open door, under your arm and onto the floor then under the rack!! My vote is a normal 29 gallon.
dartsanddragons and Hercrabit like this.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
For me, I'll never put benidicta or fantastica in a front opening tank ever again. Those guys are way too fast and flighty. They get spooked when they're in the back corner of the tank and fly through the open door, under your arm and onto the floor then under the rack!! My vote is a normal 29 gallon.
A 29g vert would be almost 20" deep, which is a lot of leaf litter for a little frog to ignore in its dash for the door, and with standard sliding doors, your opening would only be about 5 3/4" wide. The height of the door and its orientation would be up to the designer, and it could be placed well above the substrate line to avoid a straight shot out of the tank from a back corner.
Tijl likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:37 PM

In view of the speed of benedicta and my concern about front door escapes during maintenance, can you explain further your opposition to a top opening viv.
THANKS
JACK
Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 PM

I think it probably depends on how you "decorate" a tank as to how prone to running for the front the frogs are. If it is pretty densely planted and the frogs tend to hang out at the back, there is less to worry about. My fants never make a run for the front of the tank because they are rarely out and about when I am there opening the door. My Vanzos, on the other hand, have hit the floor numerous times. This is because I forget to check if they are hanging out on the front glass or on the sides close to the front glass. If you do check that out before opening the front door, you will have much less trouble. I have heard that Benedicta are a bit more skittish, but I have never kept these.

As for Dane's recommendation, I couldn't agree more. I avoid top-opening tanks at all costs just because of the lack of convenience and the difficulty in ventilating them properly.

Mark
Tijl likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info. When I was in the hobby years ago I had 20 highs with the normal aquarium glass tops. The front hinged part was for access and the back portion was siliconed in place. In lieu of the rear plastic strip that comes with the glass top I used noseum mesh also siliconed in place. I think I did use small computer fans for air circulation on the mesh blowing in. I remember chasing vanzos around the floor regardless too. Funny but no one seems too keen on the Extterras.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj921 View Post
T Funny but no one seems too keen on the Extterras.
I use almost all ExoTerras for frog (and gecko) vivs. I have no complaints at all.

The one viv I have that I don't really like is a top-opening aquarium viv. I had to drill it for ventilation, and reaching in through the top is a bit of a pain compared to double front doors, and it is harder to clean the glass.

- Whitman