No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Default Tips and tricks for backgrounds and plants

Hi everybody,

I have been into dart frogs for about 5 years now and I am really getting inspired by all of your elaborate builds that you have created. In particular, I'm interested in hearing about how I can get that nice mossy carpet established onto the background and some other plants that do well on a cork bark background other than air plants and bromeliads which I'm slowly but surely mastering. All tips and techniques you guys use are much appreciated and I
would like to thank you in advance for all of your help in making me a better hobbyist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Mod

Default Re: Tips and tricks for backgrounds and plants

The key ingredients for producing a lush moss, orchid, and epiphyte background generally include; frequent automated short-interval misting, active air circulation through the use of PC fans, and high quality lighting.
Okapi and Kinstrome like this.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Are there bulbs that would be compatible with my exo-terra hoods that you know of that provide the high quality lighting I would need? Thanks.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:23 PM

If I'm not mistaken, aren't most Exo-Terra hoods north of 40 watts / 60 watts / something like that? Most of the quality bulbs people use for plants seem to be LEDS (or, at least, not incandescents / halogens), so if the bulbs fit, they should not run in to any other problem, I think.

Dane (or other knowledgeable users):

Is it possible for you to elaborate on the air flow / regular misting needs? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have an enclosure I'm working on that has not so far been fashioned to use a misting system or receive air flow. Is misting by hand twice or more a day a sufficient substitute to a misting system? How near to the moss / epiphytes should air flow from a PC fan reach?

Thank you for your consideration.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:02 AM

Novice still here, but based on some experience outside terraria (and research planning for future setups), plants that might do well on cork bark as epiphytes include species/forms of the following. (Assuming by "other than air plants" you mean Tillandsia and not any epiphytes in general as "air plants.")
Hoya and Dischidia
some ferns (Microgramma, Pyrrosia, Lemmaphyllum)
Ficus (like F. pumila and friends)
multiple vines, assuming their roots/origin can be in substrate
Peperomias (maybe belong to the prior group)

Hopefully I didn't just list all the obvious ones
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 PM

I can attest to the epiphytic ferns, as well as Hoya.
- The former don't need any soil at all, just mount them for a while with pins of whatever.
- The Hoya like to be rooted in a bit of soil (ABG is just fine) but then they can adventitiously root out their "vine-stems" and grab hold of branches & cork, and penetrate LFS you may have packed between cork pieces.
- Episcia are are also lovely, doing great "potted" in a little ABG behind a mounted cork "not-so-flat" or half-round, and then spilling down & rooting into anything moist.

Those are all pretty well-behaved. They don't require frequent trimming, unlike F. pumila. I don't like that guy in my vivs any more!

cheers