• 1 Post By SoloSK71
  • 1 Post By DPfarr
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 2 Post By Marty
  • 1 Post By Marty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 PM

Default Best RO system

I have a cheap system now but would like one with a pressurized tank and readily available filters. Hopefully under 500 that gives me a good filtered to waste ratio. This will only be going to my mist king that has an “normally off” solenoid on it directly to the system. Therefore, GPD doesn’t need to exceed 50 gallons.

Currently I’m looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/APEC-Water-Sy.../dp/B00HRHHFPW

Recommend units?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Best RO system

That model looks fine to me. The Filmtec membranes are quality membranes. All these units are basically the same stock canisters. When that post-RO inline carbon filter is due for a swap, I'd just remove it; those inline filters are pricey and you don't need post-RO filtration anyway.

If you live in a municipality that disinfects with chloramine, you must swap out the carbon block prefilter for a "catalytic granulated activated carbon" prefilter; these are sometimes called 'chloramine buster' prefilters. I couldn't find one on Amazon, but here's one:

https://airwaterice.com/catalytic-carbon-cartridge.html

A regular carbon block will allow chloramine to pass through, wreck your membrane, and enter your product water. Minneapolis's water did that to me once.

- Whitman
Old 05-10-2019, 12:01 AM

I keep reef tanks also. This one works well and comes with a TDS meter. Very solid system.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/6-sta...ef-supply.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom24 View Post
I keep reef tanks also. This one works well and comes with a TDS meter. Very solid system.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/6-sta...ef-supply.html
+1 on a TDS meter, and on purchasing from BRS -- good company. The OP was looking for a pressure tank, though. A person could certainly add one, but for someone unsure about exactly what to buy, perhaps a system that includes a tank would be less intimidating.

- Whitman
Old 05-10-2019, 01:46 AM

Is it simple enough to add in pressure tank to a system?
Old 05-10-2019, 02:33 AM

Not hard at all. I didn’t use one. Just feed the water into the bucket that feeds the MistKing. I use a float valve in the bucket. That way the bucket is always full and no pressure tank needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPfarr View Post
I have a cheap system now but would like one with a pressurized tank and readily available filters. Hopefully under 500 that gives me a good filtered to waste ratio. This will only be going to my mist king that has an “normally off” solenoid on it directly to the system. Therefore, GPD doesn’t need to exceed 50 gallons.

Currently I’m looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/APEC-Water-Sy.../dp/B00HRHHFPW

Recommend units?
This + this and instead of using the tap, take the the hose to the input of the Mist King. The system uses a "10x3" filter which is industry standard. If you really want to increase efficiency get an Aquatec 8800 booster pump kit and a permeate pump. Your total will still be under $500 and you should get a better than 2:1 ratio of waste water to good.

Solo
Old 05-10-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
This + this and instead of using the tap, take the the hose to the input of the Mist King. The system uses a "10x3" filter which is industry standard. If you really want to increase efficiency get an Aquatec 8800 booster pump kit and a permeate pump. Your total will still be under $500 and you should get a better than 2:1 ratio of waste water to good.

Solo
Any reason that unit is better than the one the OP linked to? The OP's original choice had a slightly larger pressure tank (4gal vs 3.2 gal), which would slightly reduce cycling and thus reduce TDS creep, and both use 10" filters. Just curious if there was some reasoning behind recommending that particular unit, since all these are made of the same components and simply branded.

- Whitman
Old 05-10-2019, 04:44 AM

I have no complaints about my bulk reef supply system. They sell full kits with the drinking water addition which is the tank I think you are asking for. Also bulkreef supply runs sales every so often so you can grab filters ahead of time at sales and be good to go.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:34 AM

I’d rather have a pressure tank instead of a bucket with a float valve (which I used to have). I don’t have a ton of space and having a smaller reservoir under my sink is preferable.

I’ll check out the brs site. I noticed a little particulate on my glass so instead of wasting money on filters for the RO buddy nonsense I’d rather invest in a more efficient (waste water is real in the western states w drought). Thus the use of chloramines, which are not in use in my municipality. Yet.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
(waste water is real in the western states w drought).
If one of your prime concerns is minimizing waste water production, then do look into a booster pump like Solo mentioned earlier. I've not used one (I'm on a private well, and I run my well pump at a decent PSI), but they are said to increase the ratio of product water to waste water especially on systems that incorporate a pressure tank and thus have more back pressure on the membrane.

- Whitman
Old 05-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
If one of your prime concerns is minimizing waste water production, then...
Use a distiller! :-) I actually really like mine. It is just a different kind of waste (heat/energy usage, in the case of the distiller) but it does waste less water and fits my needs perfectly in how much water it produces compared to how much I need. I will say that for much of the year, the "waste" heat is very welcome :-) RO units are great, but they are not the only option.

FYI: https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...native-ro.html

Mark
Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Any reason that unit is better than the one the OP linked to? The OP's original choice had a slightly larger pressure tank (4gal vs 3.2 gal), which would slightly reduce cycling and thus reduce TDS creep, and both use 10" filters. Just curious if there was some reasoning behind recommending that particular unit, since all these are made of the same components and simply branded.
Other than the color coding of the filters (I usually have to triple check that I got the sequence right) and I am not a huge supporter of Amazon, no reason.

Solo
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 PM

@Socratic Monologue: Am I understanding you correctly that chloramine wrecks the RO membrane? I had been planning to RO filter water and afterwards use Seachem Prime, but that won't prevent chloramine from affecting the membrane if that's what you're saying it does.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:55 AM

That is correct, Kinstrome.

The membrane will be damaged to the point of uselessness within days/weeks of exposure to chloramine. That is why there is a carbon prefilter in front of the membrane. Most (all?) RO systems ship with a carbon prefilter (usually a carbon block) that only removes chlorine, and must be upgraded to a chloramine removing carbon prefilter (which is usually a granulated carbon cartridge).

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Kinstrome (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 11:50 AM

Hmm. My RO system brand (Aquatic Life) does not appear to have a granulated carbon cartridge. Are RO systems' cartridges interchangeable? Or, alternately, is it possible to just fill the existing cartridge with granulated carbon?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that the filters fit "most RO/DI 10" housing."

Last edited by Kinstrome; 05-28-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
Hmm. My RO system brand (Aquatic Life) does not appear to have a granulated carbon cartridge. Are RO systems' cartridges interchangeable? Or, alternately, is it possible to just fill the existing cartridge with granulated carbon?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that the filters fit "most RO/DI 10" housing."
I'm afraid I must renew my confusion. I bought this:

...thinking it would just be a replacement for the carbon cartridge, as it said it fit the same size housing.

But it's just a container of granulated charcoal, with a screw-on lid. It doesn't have the 1/4" ports that allow water to pass into and out of it through 1/4" tubings.

Does anyone know what's up? I don't understand at all how this is supposed to interact with the "Aquatic Life Buddy" that people are saying it's compatible with. (And which is the very item I bought.)

I'm running low on RO water to supply my pumps with, but I don't want to run the RO system if chloramine is going to wreck it.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:09 AM

You want this for your system.

KDF 85 CATALYTIC CARTRIDGE

Solo
Socratic Monologue likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SoloSK71 For This Useful Post:
Kinstrome (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:00 AM

The Aquatic Life Buddy does not appear to have 10" housings; it has what are sometimes called 'in-line' prefilters.

Solo has listed what seems to be the right item. A more economical long term solution might be to buy a refillable inline canister (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Finest-Filter.../dp/B0178G62PA) and fill it with the catalytic GAC you've already bought.

I started with a 'Buddy' type setup many years ago, and eventually replaced the costly, wasteful inline prefilters with standard 10" housings (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Osmos.../dp/B00MTTQPVS). One reason for this is the carbon prefilters I use (Matrikx CTO) only come in standard sizes (10" and 20").

Lots of options for you, and all of them will work.

- Whitman
Old 06-03-2019, 04:38 AM

Did you check your water district to see if they actually use chloramines? Not all municipalities do use them.

Yesterday I installed that one I originally posted. Looking forward to having glass without precipitate on it again.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Did you check your water district to see if they actually use chloramines? Not all municipalities do use them.
NOLA does use chloramine:

https://www.swbno.org/About/WaterPurificationProcess

- Whitman
Old 06-03-2019, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I did go ahead and buy the in-line, non-openable canister on the Aquatic Life site right after it was posted.

I don't think I can replace the Aquatic Life system anytime soon, having dropped already ~$100 on it and its canisters.

But I can, if you'll forgive me, "water it down" by using the water barrel I also have to make the plants' supply 50/50 rainwater/RO water. That way I won't be using the RO system 100% of the time.

I'll use the RO for things tht use the MistKing and rainwater for things that use an ordinary sprayer.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Not to continue hijacking this thread, but I suppose this information may be useful to someone someday:

1) Is there a way to tell when one of those "Fillable" in-line canisters has expired? Or do I have to get some kind of meter that reads the chloramine content of water and conclude "Welp, there's chloramine in the water, the carbon pre-filter must have stopped working," and / or "Welp, there's an abundance of different crap in my water, chloramine must have wrecked the RO membrane." ?

2) Which do you personally suggest? The refillable inline housing that's made for the Aquatic Life buddie, or the 10" housing that would still work with the same 1/4" tubes? I'm supposing the 10" housing is better money-wise, but I already have my RO system screwed into a wall, so I'm not sure how it would work. I guess a better question is, is the difference in savings significant between the two systems?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 PM

Get a tds counter to test product water every 60 days or so. Evidently, you’ll probably learn you no longer have RO before you know your prefilter is no longer useful.

I bet there’s a reagent to test for chloramines. Get a bit of water downstream from that filter and test for it every so often?
Kinstrome likes this.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 PM

1) The usual practice is to replace prefilters every 6 months, I believe. Chloramine can easily be tested for, but simply replacing prefilters before they run out is better than membrane damage and cheap enough that the labor of sampling weekly isn't worth it, IMO.

2) I like the standard 10" housings, but I'm not sure they have added value in your situation. The 10" micron prefilters are under $5, but I see the inline AL ones are $7; not much money difference, but I don't like throwing away plastic. I have a desire to run carbon prefilters that are 10", but if a person is running GAC, then the inline refillable canister would be fine.

+1 on the TDS meter, though it only would tell you that your membrane is failing. I use inline ones (I measure source water, post RO, post DI canister #1, and post DI canister #2; reef people are nuts about water quality):

https://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-DM.../dp/B001EHAZGW
Kinstrome likes this.

- Whitman
Old 06-06-2019, 11:36 PM

Howdy, hot off the press. We have been working on making the most convenient, easy to use RO system for a while. We wanted to make it easy to install, effortless to use and replace cartridges.

few main features:
- all push to connect fittings (incl. faucet)
- notification when a filter has to be replaced, so no more guess work
- on board TDS meater
- booster pump on the system to always make RO at good pressure
- hot swappable filters. No more canisters, just replace the filter while the water in ON

Haven't photographed or put them online yet, but this is what they look like

Probably this weekend will put them online at mistking.com

of course, no pressure you can use whatever filter you wish. We made this one based on years of use of normal RO filters (and getting annoyed by them).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RO-Front.jpg (50.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RO-Side.jpg (44.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RO-box.jpg (84.7 KB, 10 views)
Kinstrome and PhylloBro like this.

MistKing.com
|Testimonials
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty For This Useful Post:
PhylloBro (06-06-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:04 AM

Marty, the MistKing brand has a really good reputation, well-earned. No doubt this will be a fine system.

That said, I've kept my RO system running for 25 years now. If anything fails/cracks/needs upgrades, it is all modular, off-the-shelf parts. If I want to add DI, add another TDS meter, use a different type of prefilter, etc, I just plumb it in.

My worry with all-in-one systems is that a simple failure can be fatal a laMonsoon misters, Chinese LED units, etc. Can I run my favorite prefilter on this unit? Can I replace the booster pump or TDS meter if needed?

Also, where is this system manufactured?

- Whitman
Old 06-07-2019, 04:14 AM

If your system works for you then you should continue using it. This system is simply not for you and I will not try to sell you one, nor defend it or try to justify its use for you. Simply keep using your existing system if you're happy with it.

For myself, I have zero spare time, In my twenties I had tons. I literally have a pile of various units that I've used over the years both at home and at the mistking shop. It's an RO scrap yard of systems I used and of samples I've tried.

I've replaced whole systems because I could not find replacement cartridges for stuff I bought online. I've woken up to cracked housing and flooded floor from reputable brands of zero waste systems (fortunately in the basement). For misting and drinking I don't want 9 stage filtration. I don't have reef tanks and don't need multiple DI units either. I want to spend 1 sec to glance and know that I need to replace a cartridge. I don't want special tools, I want to spend 5 sec replacing a cartridge when needed. I'm at the stage in my life where convenience trumps DIY and wasted time. I want my tds to go from 200 to 2, not to 0.002

Yes, you can run your prefilter and change the pump, switches, fittings, etc. Just need to take the housing cover off to access the internals of the filter. I like the clean look with the cover on. It will autoflush ever few tank fills as well. I get these custom made by a company that supplies hundreds of thousands RO units to Europe. I've used multiple prototypes of this filter and still do.
Encyclia likes this.

MistKing.com
|Testimonials
Old 06-07-2019, 08:41 AM

Bummer, I probably would have bought that. I assume it’s optimized to use directly inline with a mistking via a the “always off” solenoid you guys sell?

One thing I’m pretty happy about with a pressure tank, my mistking pump has to work a lot less. The whole action is way quieter and less jumpy.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:08 AM

Yes, of course. Easy to connect mistking system to our new RO system.

MistKing.com
|Testimonials