Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By varanoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Collected Clay in substrate?

I've skimmed quite a few posts on clay substrates and different recipes for them but didn't see one mentioning using clay collected from outside. I'm wondering if anyone has some pros/cons for using collected natural clay, specifically center Georgia-ish, in a clay based substrate?

Also, please feel free to post links if I happened to miss this topic in previous discussions 🙂

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Collected Clay in substrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I've skimmed quite a few posts on clay substrates and different recipes for them but didn't see one mentioning using clay collected from outside. I'm wondering if anyone has some pros/cons for using collected natural clay, specifically center Georgia-ish, in a clay based substrate?

Also, please feel free to post links if I happened to miss this topic in previous discussions 🙂

Thanks!
I'm not aware any previous posts specifically regarding collecting clay from outside, but would have the exact same concerns harvesting the clay outside as anything else I harvested from outside. Namely, pests, pesticides, poisons, pathogens just to mention my concerns that start with "p". I do use stuff that I have collected from outside, but I am not confident I could properly prepare clay collected outdoors to be safe for use in one of my tanks. I'd put money on it that plenty of people have with no ill affects on their frogs, but I am personally not willing to take the risk.
Dane likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:28 PM

I had the same thoughts about possible pests. I wonder if a "quarantine" period like plants or other things we introduce would be enough to tell before adding it to the substrate? I was also curious about longevity of it mixed in with a substrate and could it have any negative effects on the frogs either directly or through the microfauna? 🤔

Old 05-10-2019, 12:27 AM

Greetings,

The clay mentioned for vivs is usually calcium-bearing clay - non-calcium clay will also provide minerals and nutrients but that is something to consider if your local clay is not high in calcium.

As for sanitizing the clay: I suggest letting collected clay dry in the sun completely (it will be rock hard). Then pulverize the clay into a fine meal which you could bake in the oven. Once baked, just add some water and remix the clay into a consistency you can work with.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:51 AM

I think you could just heat up the clay as is for an extended period of time and that should kill anything in the clay. I do know in NC the red clay stains very badly so you will have to be carful of that.