Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JorGoSant
  • 1 Post By JorGoSant
  • 1 Post By Ravage
  • 1 Post By Ravage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 05:03 PM

Default Building the frog room.

So after many months of work here I am, launching this project, what excitement!

For my work I have access to many plants that I need to have in terrariums, for a few months I will use the terrariums alone for them and then I will go for some dendrobates and geckos so the terrariums must adapt to the two ideas

I will divide it by parts
The first thing will be to decide how to cut the crystals and what size I will use to take them to the glazier (I would like them to be the same for aesthetics but I think it will not be possible at all because of the difference in size between the crystals that I have)

Measures (cm): (4mm all)

131.5x34.5
131.5x34.5

112.5x63.5
112.5x63.5
112.5x63.5

105x58
105x58
105x58
105x58

93.5x65
93.5x65
93.5x65
93.5x65

93.5x52.5
93.5x52.5
93.5x52.5
93.5x52.5

67x39

65x39
65x39

62.5x42
62.5x42
62.5x42
62.5x42

there are a few more crystals but I keep four big ones in case I want to build a large terra in the future, it was the main idea but given the thickness I did not dare to break it

the center black is 1m x 1m to illustrate the size:

questions:
I do not want to support the side cristals in the base, I feel that it can break, is it an option to stick it to the sides? as in this photo:
Kinstrome likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Building the frog room.

some crystals need to be cleaned but these are some examples
Ravage likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorGoSant View Post

questions:
I do not want to support the side cristals in the base, I feel that it can break, is it an option to stick it to the sides? as in this photo:
I tend to put the sides onto the base, the opposite of what you are suggesting. Both will work. Exo terra builds their vivs in the manner you have diagrammed. If you do it that way it MUST be protected by moulding. I put molding on all bases anyway because it protects the bottom and side joints when moving the finished tank. Having the sides project beyond the base creates a point that could "catch" when sliding the tank. So just protect it. Other than that- it all looks good.
Ambitious project, I look forward to seeing it as you continue.
Encyclia likes this.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:39 PM

Great job using recycled glass :-) Sounds like a really interesting project! Are your tanks all going to be on the same level or will some of them be on shelves where they will be above each other? In answer to your question, why are worried about the bottom glass extending out to the edge? It doesn't seem like it would be as stable to have the outer glass be attached around the edge of the bottom glass. Also, I would worry about when you tried to move the tanks, your fingers might push the bottom glass up and break the seal. Maybe if you put some type of wood molding or something like that it would work better. I may not be understanding your concern, though. Can anybody with more DIY tank building experience weigh in? If I understand correctly the OP doesn't want to attach the sides to the top surface of the bottom but have the sides stick to the outer edge of the bottom glass instead.

Mark
Old 05-02-2019, 01:28 AM

what size are your cristals? to make small terrariums I guess the thickness will work but I do not dare with the big ones

Havoc: the creator of the photo of the glass stuck on the sides has a pretty good blog, recommends putting it aside and I simply wanted to ask

Encyclia: thanks! I have gone a little bit aa gathering materials (lights, arduino, raspi, crystals, water pump etc.) to be able to do it
if I'm lucky I'll get more but remove the silicone takes work ...

tomorrow I will start to take possible measures
Old 05-02-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorGoSant View Post
what size are your cristals? to make small terrariums I guess the thickness will work but I do not dare with the big ones

Havoc: the creator of the photo of the glass stuck on the sides has a pretty good blog, recommends putting it aside and I simply wanted to ask

Encyclia: thanks! I have gone a little bit aa gathering materials (lights, arduino, raspi, crystals, water pump etc.) to be able to do it
if I'm lucky I'll get more but remove the silicone takes work ...

tomorrow I will start to take possible measures
I am with Ravage on this one. I think it makes more sense to have the side attach to the top of the bottom glass, rather than to the side of the bottom glass. Regardless, make sure to put some sort of molding on the bottoms, at least.

As for the silicone clean-up, I have always had great luck with sharp razor blades. If they are available where you are, just buy a whole box of 100 of them. Use them for a little bit, then throw them away and grab another one. The sharper they are, the easier the job will be.

Mark
Old 05-02-2019, 08:20 PM

The diagram has red arrows that show the direction of the force- for an aquarium. The weight of the liquid pushes outward, and strange as it may seem has minimal downward force. This is why many aquarium builders place the joints in this manner. In a terrarium, however, there is not hundreds of pounds of force pushing outward. There is weight from substrate pushing down with gravity. That's why I put the bottom under the sides. But as i said- either way will work. "Floating" bottoms have been found to be best for large, heavy aquariums- they also make assembly easier for a production line. I've dis assembled a few aquariums and have a decent insight into how they build them now.
But anyway- you're not wrong.
On with the show.....
Old 05-04-2019, 07:02 PM

I need to put the doors, would be the crystals of 62.5x42 (cut), do not appear in any of the photos.

For now, what I think is the easiest way to get a decent size is:
64 cm long
56 cm tall
46 cm background
in total it would be 165 liters and I have enough crystals to make 4 of them, I would use the rest to make small terrariums

What do you think about the size? I have not decided which frog I will have but the Epipedobates, azureus or terribilis call my attention, in any case it will take a lot to have them...
Once the terrariums have been designed, I will design the table. In principle, the big ones all go in a row, Im not going to put them on shelves
Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Your sizes look good. The only thing I saw is, if your drawings are correct to scale, the top vent might be too wide. I make top vents 4-5 cm wide and it seems to work fine. My under door vents are 2-2.5 cm. If the top vent is too large your vivarium will dry out quickly. By making the top vent larger than the bottom, it creates a very sight vacuum, and therefore a good passive draw of air.
A vivarium with only a top vent could become stagnant (and/or dry), this can be fixed with a fan, but passive is nicer in my opinion. No moving parts.
Keep going, once you master making vivariums there will be no stopping you.
JorGoSant likes this.