Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 AM

Default 12x12x18 lower humidity - fan?

This seems like too small of a tank to use a fan, but the humidity of my tank hovers around 85-95%, spraying it twice a day (morning/night before lights go off). I would guess and say the accuracy is off +-5%. I also know that pretty much all hygrometers suck . There is standing water droplets on leaf litter and *some* plants, but very little water droplets or condensation on the glass before the second misting. Sphagnum moss has mostly dried before the second misting. When I stick my hand in there though, it is definitely humid. I just want to be sure I can keep the humidity at a healthy level for frogs, which I know there is some debate about what is considered "healthy." Temps are fine and I still haven't kicked on the A/C yet this year, so it's likely the humidity will drop when that happens... maybe it'll take care of my assumed problem.

Anyway - all this to say, would running a small fan across the 1.5" vent help reduce humidity levels (not pointing fan directly into tank)? Should I just remove that piece of glass instead? I don't really think I'd want to reduce misting to once a day as the moss will probably dry out...

Just another thing about my screen top/glass top set up - I have a light hood covering the back half of my tank with no glass under it, but the light hood sits so flush with the top it probably acts the same as glass would... The front half of the tank has glass over the screen, covering all but about 1.5".

Opinions? Am I completely overthinking it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 02:24 AM

Default Re: 12x12x18 lower humidity - fan?

Just duty cycle a fan with a timer or controller so it blows a few minutes per day.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKF View Post
This seems like too small of a tank to use a fan, but the humidity of my tank hovers around 85-95%, spraying it twice a day (morning/night before lights go off). I would guess and say the accuracy is off +-5%. I also know that pretty much all hygrometers suck .

I think you summed things up in that last sentence. I wonder, though, how you can guess humidity within 5%. I can't even guess the day of the month within five percent, and I looked at the calendar two days ago.

In a 12 x 12 x 18 (I have five or so of that size running right now), I'd be more comfortable with simply providing more vent area. You'd vent more by simply putting the top vent on the back of the viv, rather than on the front; the air moves up and out of Exo Terras, but with the top vent in the front the air moves only past the inside of the doors, rather than up and back through most of the viv. If that isn't possible, increasing the size of the top vent would work.

Addendum: if you are worried about the moss drying out, you could simply mist the moss only. There's no rule that says you have to mist everything in the viv. I wouldn't mist everything immediately before lights out, anyway; the plants 'go to sleep' and the frogs find a comfy microclimate for the night.

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 04-26-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I think you summed things up in that last sentence. I wonder, though, how you can guess humidity within 5%. I can't even guess the day of the month within five percent, and I looked at the calendar two days ago.

In a 12 x 12 x 18 (I have five or so of that size running right now), I'd be more comfortable with simply providing more vent area. You'd vent more by simply putting the top vent on the back of the viv, rather than on the front; the air moves up and out of Exo Terras, but with the top vent in the front the air moves only past the inside of the doors, rather than up and back through most of the viv. If that isn't possible, increasing the size of the top vent would work.

Addendum: if you are worried about the moss drying out, you could simply mist the moss only. There's no rule that says you have to mist everything in the viv. I wouldn't mist everything immediately before lights out, anyway; the plants 'go to sleep' and the frogs find a comfy microclimate for the night.
The reason I am guessing +/- 5% is because I have two little temp/humidity monitors outside the cage right next to each other. They are within a degree and 1-2% humidity of each other every time I look. I then put both in the cage and let it sit for about a half hour and they both have relatively the same reading with the same error range as I just mentioned. After they sit in there for a bit, I take them back out and let them readjust to the room temp. I never mist while they're in there, so they're not getting water on the sensor. That isn't to say both aren't wrong right off the bat, but I trust two more than one, I guess. Make of it what you will.

As far the glass top goes, currently I only have one piece of glass covering the front half of the screen top minus about 1.5" or so. I can move it to the back to be underneath the light hood, but would that serve a purpose? Just curious since the light hood is nearly flush with the screen top (exo-terra hood) and there's not a whole lot of airflow underneath it as is. I'll be experimenting some more though

Last edited by MKF; 04-27-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:49 PM

Ah, that makes sense regarding the humidity. I thought that "guess" was meant literally.

What is the humidity of the room the viv is in? Seems you already have a good amount of ventilation; don't Exo Terra hoods have a vent in the top? Adding a fan won't help if the ambient humidity is really high.

- Whitman
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 AM

The hoods do have a vent in the top, although the reflector kinda blocks it so I'm going to remove that since it's unnecessary with the LEDs. The room it is in sits around 45-55% humidity. Not terribly high. I took off all the glass from the top last night and I'm still getting readings around 85-90% all throughout the day. I tried also determining if the humidity was different in different areas of the enclosure but it's not (probably due to the small size). Sprayed it only once. There is no water in the drainage layer. There's not even any condensation since I sprayed it this afternoon (though there is some water on some of the plants in the back still). The vents at the bottom of the enclosure are not blocked by the substrate or anything. Just weird that I can't get it to come down, but both of the hygrometers are still matching each other.

I was thinking this little tiny guy might do the trick (1.5"x1.5"x.4") - not really that powerful, small, might give me just enough "wind" to get the humidity down a little: https://www.amazon.com/ELUTENG-Venti...fsclp_pl_dp_14

Last edited by MKF; 04-29-2019 at 02:30 AM.