Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Default Re: ~330 gallon terrarium setup. (+ some questions)

Looks great! Please post growth shots add it grows in
Kinstrome likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 PM

~1 month later

Things have grown in, including some weeds I will probably cut (which I've kept alive to this point to illustrate the growth of this terrarium). I've started calling it the "Immortal Vale" because nothing in it seems to die, although I haven't exactly been aggressive in testing that rule.

^Overall view. The glass is a bit foggy, but I didn't feel like waiting around to take a better photo. I got new quarter-inch glass doors yesterday and haven't put the handles on yet.

^A couple of Ficus, plus weeds. One ficus should be Ficus thunbergii, and the other I believe is Ficus pumila 'Quercifolia'.

^Drymonia cuyabonensis and a wandering jew species having a race. They've kept together pretty well the last couple of weeks.

^Marcgravia sintenisii.

^Neoregelia 'Ruby Throat' pupping at last. To my surprise, it is the neoregelias that have shown slow growth, even with very high light.

^Microgramma 'Ecuador #2' and Stelis argentata. The latter was deliberately planted in a "castle piece" in order to look almost like a potted plant.

^Ficus burtt-davyii and Ficus benjamina (?) growing in. It's hard to see, but they've sent out dozens and dozens of roots through the wall of LFS.

^A couple of plants. One is another planting of Drymonia cuyabonensis and the other may be Begonia Scutifolia.

^A Costus and a Monocostus, I believe.

^Ardisia japonica in front of the castle wall and Pellionia repens growing on it. To the left a bit of Tectaria zeilanica is visible.

^A Chinese fir, I believe (somewhat of an experiment), and a Philodendron called 'Wings'.

^A neat, furry Microgramma I received as Micro. sp. #2.

^If memory serves, this extraordinarily long cutting was Microgramma lycopodioides. Spelling may be wrong.

^A peperomia (I believe), and Encyclia polybulbon.

^More ficus branches and Neoregelia 'Deep of Night' with a barely visible pup.

^Just another photo of Ficus benjamina branches, trying to form a canopy that may or may not actually happen.

^Nepenthes aristolochioides x burkei, officially installed in order to cull the fruit fly infestation, but mostly because carnivorous plants are AWESOME.

^A sundew, Drosera spatulata, for the same fly-catching purpose.

^Ficus retusa growing through the castle walls, with a hoarded dragon's egg.

^Stained-glass windows, already somewhat deteriorated by misting.

^Two gold- and weapon-filled chests, already starting to rot from the water.

^The skeletal arm / claw is still going strong, although it takes a little maintenance. A Pilea 'Purple Ecuador' is growing between its fingers, as are many weeds.

^The skull, now with an eerie, supernatural-lookin eye. Part of the hole that had been the empty eye socket rotted away, allowing enough space to wedge this in. It keeps watch over the Immortal Vale, even in death.
fishingguy12345 likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the update and labeling the plants, makes it easier for me to see what different species look like

Old 07-21-2019, 08:10 PM

I love the look you’ve got going on! I know you said much earlier your not having animals, but then you seem to have left the door slightly open to the idea. So....

As far as species suggestions, and going only by the landscaping, without knowing all the parameters of the enclosure, I can picture a long tailed grass lizard climbing those ruins! I had a small group in a large (3’x2’x4’) terrarium and they were very entertaining and interactive. Their group dynamic was quite interesting. They also loved to drink from bromeliad cups. They would however need a heat lamp to bask under.
Kinstrome likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 PM

That's interesting, because I had kept such a lizard in the past, although in too small an enclosure. I have always enjoyed the rainbow whiptail.

There is enough heat coming from the Jungle Dawn lights that such an animal could get by with (ambient temperature too is like 80 F), although I'd have to build some kind of perch, and there would be no place to hide up there (I don't know the hiding needs of lizards).

The most important impediment is that I have already (lightly) sprayed the interior of the enclosure with a permethrin-based fly spray, and I also sprayed it down once with a diluted liquid fertilizer. The spray doesn't seem to be killing off newborn flies, certainly, but I don't know what that means for a lizard, especially one that would have to be living there for years.

Also, I'd have to feed it.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 AM

I take back what I said about the basking spot; there is a spot that reaches an appropriate temperature for basking, which also affords an excellent hiding place (the inside of the dragon's horns).

There are, however, two other issues I didn't mention:

1) Because of the lumpy nature of the moss-netting process that built the whole background, the glass doors don't close flush with the walls. A small lizard would eventually find them and exit the enclosure. I could cut away some of the moss, but it would look messy. I'd only do it if I were certain I could otherwise maintain an animal.

2) Any kind of animal that eats vegetation even very infrequently, would be a big no. Some of the plants I have in there are expensive, and if I'm gone for a couple of days, those plants might be gone, too.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 PM

You wouldn’t have to worry about them eating your plants, the most they would do is lick water droplets off the leaves or drink from the bromeliad cups.

They would find places to get out of sight if they choose, especially as the plants grow in. Mine all slept together in a small hollow in a piece of drift wood that was part of my background.

I don’t have any experience with the fly spray that you mentioned so I can’t comment on that, the fertilizer could be a problem if it was a chemical fertilizer, but if it was just a diluted organic fertilizer such as kelp/ fish emulsion than I wouldn’t be concerned about it.

The big concern would definitely be the gaps around the doors, as they are only about as thick as a pencil.

I don’t want to push you towards stocking your tank if that’s not what you are looking to do, the longtails are just the first thing I thought of when I saw your last full tank shot. It looks great!
Kinstrome likes this.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:25 PM

Looks good where did you get all the plants
Old 07-25-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTYLER04 View Post
Looks good where did you get all the plants
Most of them come from Glass Box Tropicals, and a good bit of the remainder are from vendors on Dendroboard. The Ficus benjamina and Ficus retusa are from Walmart or something and Bonsai Boy.

Tags
driftwood, moss-netting, terrarium, tree, waterfall