Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Parts & Construction (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/)
-   -   Where to buy giant exo-terras? (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/351318-where-buy-giant-exo-terras.html)

MKF 04-20-2019 02:37 PM

Where to buy giant exo-terras?

Where do you guys find these or order them? Looking for a 36x18x18 for a snake project, and I'm wondering if you just have to go to petco and order them in, or what. I wish there was somewhere I could order them online a bit cheaper, but no one ships them (for obvious reasons). No one stocks them around here for local pickup either. Share your knowledge with me please!

JPP 04-20-2019 03:43 PM

Re: Where to buy giant exo-terras?

Petco doesn't have that size in store, but my local Petsmart keeps that size in stock in the store.

Cakers 04-20-2019 06:01 PM

Valuepetsupplies.com carries that size exo terra.

Socratic Monologue 04-20-2019 06:10 PM

Where are you located? It is hard to give a good answer to a 'where' question when you could be anywhere on Earth...:)

Socratic Monologue 04-20-2019 06:14 PM

mayanjungledog 04-20-2019 06:19 PM

I got a 36 x 18 x 36 delivered from Petco or Petsmart. Canít remember which one.

jgragg 04-22-2019 06:30 PM

Also FYI - watch when vendors are headed to shows. You can pre-order, and then pick up at the show. Usually there's a good price break.

Here's an example, using exactly the size you mentioned:
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/show-pick...x36-57732.html

I like this option, because I can take more - enough - care in padding and handling than e.g. Amazon, Fedex, PetCo, whoever, seems to like to. I've just had too many glass items arrive damaged, and had to deal with the hassles and the lost days of returns. I'm talking arrived at my house, or arrived at my local PetCo. Either way - stuff comes broken way too often. If you go to a show a pick up your goods, you can be pretty confident of A) leaving the show with intact goods, and B) getting them home in good shape, and be ready to start building!!!.

You can also, you know, look around, talk to people, maybe pick up some more supplies or animals if you like. I don't really enjoy the shows much, but if I'm already there to do some business, I usually walk around for a half hour or so, just to kind of stay up to date on who's doing what. Sometimes you can find some neat isopods or whatever, ha ha.

Obviously you'd need to calculate your "worth it" price per viv, and figure the distance/gas, etc. I've bought several vivs at once this way a few times, to make it worth my while. Save a hundred bucks or whatever. Also, you can schedule a visit to a show city or town, to get in some other activities before picking up your goods. Hit a ball game, concert, see some family, whatever the town/city offers that you can't get back home.

Anyway - hope this is helpful. Maybe I hate dealing with broken shit and returns more than the average guy. I'm just over it, I guess. Doing it this way puts me in charge of the outcome.

cheers

mayanjungledog 04-22-2019 09:41 PM

I had the worst experience with Joshís frogs pre-ordering an extra large Exo Terra (36x18x36) for a show. One of the reasons (among others) Iíll never buy from them again. I wonít go into details about it here, but it is the reason I ended up ordering from Petco for delivery to my house.

jgragg 04-22-2019 11:25 PM

Quote:

One of the reasons (among others) Iíll never buy from them again.
Well, it sounds like you've got your experiences. They sound unpleasant, I'm sorry to hear of them. I hope you provided some feedback so they can try to improve. If they're willing.

@MKF - if you're willing to pay full retail your "LFS" (or whatever you call them there) will often add stuff to their orders from suppliers. All mine here will, anyway. Also, Josh's Frogs isn't the only outfit that'll bring stuff to shows for you...and, for all you know, you'd have a great biz experience w/ that company anyway. I've got no complaints.

Good luck!

MKF 04-25-2019 01:33 AM

Thanks all. I've had crap luck from Amazon, always broken. I'll try preordering to a show, though the show I have here in the south is tiny. I think only ExoTerra and ZooMed show up, definitely not Josh's Frogs or any other terrarium vendors. I'm sure I'd be paying full retail with Exo and ZM.

JPP 04-25-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayanjungledog (Post 3061934)
I had the worst experience with Joshís frogs pre-ordering an extra large Exo Terra (36x18x36) for a show.

I had a similar experience once as well. Preordered an 18x18x36 Exo Terra from them to be delivered to a show. Drove over an hour and a half in a rainstorm to go to said show to pick it up...and they didn't have it when I arrived.

Pitbull 04-26-2019 04:09 PM

Petsmart has them in stock on for $160 plus tax right now (in-store). That's about the same as show pick-up price, but without waiting for a show. The 36x18x18 almost never sells, so that sale price is extremely consistent. If they mark it up next month, wait it out a few weeks and it'll drop again. If you wait for their twice-yearly friends and family sale, you can get another 15% off that price. The next one is probably in June or late May, as the last one was in November.

With big box stores, most of them will price match if you can show them a lower price on your phone. So even if the tank isn't at the $160 price point, just show them Josh's Frogs price and they'll match it.

Dr. Manhattan 04-26-2019 04:11 PM

For anyone within a reasonable distance of Taunton, MA it's impossible to beat Kensfish.com prices for exo-terra, zoo med, or just about any tank. I live 15 minutes away so it's ultra convenient for me.

jgragg 04-26-2019 08:59 PM

Wow Doc, you're right. Those are some pretty killer prices - standard retail prices where I am are close to double those.

Socratic Monologue 04-26-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan (Post 3062242)
For anyone within a reasonable distance of Taunton, MA it's impossible to beat Kensfish.com prices for exo-terra, zoo med, or just about any tank. I live 15 minutes away so it's ultra convenient for me.

I buy aquarium stuff from Ken's Fish online regularly. Great prices, good shipping, small local company...nice to support these quality small businesses.