Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By indrap
  • 1 Post By camps23
  • 1 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Default 36” Wide LED Question

Hi All,
I’m about to add a 36x18x24 exoterra to the collection and have been reading and searching threads on 36” LED lighting. Currently my two 18” tanks are lite with Current USA Satellite Pros. So far I’m happy with the results and will consider staying with current.
Unfortunately spectral designs LEDs aren’t an option as I contacted Keith and he doesn’t ship to Canada anymore. I have seen a lot of good reviews and love the price point of the beamswork but I can’t find stock of a 36” anywhere. Also do they come with the controller or you buy that separately ? Does anyone know where to purchase the 36” model in either the quad,evo or we ?
Anyone using something different with great results ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM

Default Re: 36 Wide LED Question

That is a bummer about Kurt not shipping to Canada. The SDs are sweet. Topdogsellers on Ebay are really the only game in town for EVOs and similar. I have noticed that their offerings are becoming fewer and fewer. You used to be able to get any length of dual or quad and now there is very little left on their Ebay store. I have had to order the pent LEDs that they sell just because I can't find what I want anymore. This is all before I found SD lights, though.

These lights:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beamswork-D...2gO6TNzRSKFMTQ

aren't too bad in my experience. They have a bit more of a blue cast to them than the EVOs, but they are plenty bright and they run very cool (cooler than the EVOs with their 3-watt LEDs). I think they look pretty good and they grow plants just fine in the tanks that I have them in - one tank is a 36"x18"x24". And they are pretty inexpensive. Maybe that is an option for you?

Mark
Old 04-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Not sure if you've considered them but sunblaster LED lights are amazing for their price and readily available in Canada.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:59 PM

Thanks Mark, Pretty well exactly what I was looking for. Do you use their timers or go a different route ? I wonder how these compare with the current USA. No tamping options with these ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
That is a bummer about Kurt not shipping to Canada. The SDs are sweet. Topdogsellers on Ebay are really the only game in town for EVOs and similar. I have noticed that their offerings are becoming fewer and fewer. You used to be able to get any length of dual or quad and now there is very little left on their Ebay store. I have had to order the pent LEDs that they sell just because I can't find what I want anymore. This is all before I found SD lights, though.

These lights:

aren't too bad in my experience. They have a bit more of a blue cast to them than the EVOs, but they are plenty bright and they run very cool (cooler than the EVOs with their 3-watt LEDs). I think they look pretty good and they grow plants just fine in the tanks that I have them in - one tank is a 36"x18"x24". And they are pretty inexpensive. Maybe that is an option for you?

Mark
Old 04-19-2019, 03:01 PM

Are these what your referring to ?

https://www.amazon.ca/SunBlaster-090.../dp/B0748D3JV9

Have you used these personally with success ? They aren’t the most visually appealing but I could get around that. I wonder if I would be required to have two daisy chained in order to get lighting across the 18” width

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrap View Post
Not sure if you've considered them but sunblaster LED lights are amazing for their price and readily available in Canada.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:28 PM

Tincman herps now has a 34" light bar available. You could see if they would ship to you .

https://tincman.com/product/tincman-...gh-output-led/
Old 04-19-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camps23 View Post

Have you used these personally with success ? They aren’t the most visually appealing but I could get around that. I wonder if I would be required to have two daisy chained in order to get lighting across the 18”
Yes, I do use those lights. They have pretty good punch (though I would look for something else if your viv is 36in tall) and from my experience, plants love them. That said I can only compare them to sunblaster t5ho lights which are good, but give off more heat than I like. I definitely notice a significant difference in plant growth and coloration with these LED vs the t5's. Several other Canadian members I know use these as well. For the price point and availability (you can go to pretty much any aquaponics store I think), I dont see any reason to not use these lights other than aesthetics. Pic attached is my rack using 4ft sunblaster LEDs. I use a timer outlet to control when the lights turn on and off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190418_211204_385_1555693289125.jpg (40.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by indrap; 04-19-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mark, Pretty well exactly what I was looking for. Do you use their timers or go a different route ? I wonder how these compare with the current USA. No tamping options with these ?
If you are talking about just a straight turn-off/turn-on timer, I just use the regular digital timers that you plug into the wall socket. I don't use any fancy dimming or anything on any of my lights, so I can't comment on that. I am also not familiar with Current USA's lights. They have always been too rich for my blood :-)

Mark
Old 04-19-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post
Tincman herps now has a 34" light bar available. You could see if they would ship to you .

Do you know if the drivers for these are built in to the bar? That seems to be the Achilles Heel of this type of light design is the heat build-up caused by the driver and the LEDs being in close proximity to each other. They put off great light and the plants love them, though.

Mark
Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post

They only ship in the US.

Quote:
Quote:

Have you used these personally with success ? They aren’t the most visually appealing but I could get around that. I wonder if I would be required to have two daisy chained in order to get lighting across the 18”
Yes, I do use those lights. They have pretty good punch (though I would look for something else if your viv is 36in tall) and from my experience, plants love them. That said I can only compare them to sunblaster t5ho lights which are good, but give off more heat than I like. I definitely notice a significant difference in plant growth and coloration with these LED vs the t5's. Several other Canadian members I know use these as well. For the price point and availability (you can go to pretty much any aquaponics store I think), I dont see any reason to not use these lights other than aesthetics. Pic attached is my rack using 4ft sunblaster LEDs. I use a timer outlet to control when the lights turn on and off.
The new tank is only 24” deep. I will definitely look into these lights and see cost. Do you know what a 36” model costs ? I see them on amazon for around 99$.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:40 AM

Mark do you think a 30” model would be enough for the 36” Exo Terra ? I can get one from amazon.ca here in Canada but not the 36”. The link you posted on eBay would be 45$ to ship to Canada.

Quote:

These lights:

Mark
Old 04-20-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
The new tank is only 24” deep. I will definitely look into these lights and see cost. Do you know what a 36” model costs ? I see them on amazon for around 99$.
Itll be somewhere around that price point, might be able to get a discount if you go to a local hydroponics store, the incredigrow I go to gives me 10% off all the time. These easily have enough punch to be usable in a 24in tall in my experience.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:41 AM

Would I need two for the 18” width or one is enough ? Also can these sit right on top of the tank or do they need to be suspended?
Thanks for the help !

Quote:
Quote:
Itll be somewhere around that price point, might be able to get a discount if you go to a local hydroponics store, the incredigrow I go to gives me 10% off all the time. These easily have enough punch to be usable in a 24in tall in my experience.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Would I need two for the 18” width or one is enough ? Also can these sit right on top of the tank or do they need to be suspended?
Thanks for the help !
I think 36 should be long enough, do you have the tanks right next to each other? Maybe take a measurement if you're not sure but if the light is a few cm short you'll be fine.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:18 AM

Only looking to cover one tank. Tank is 36” long, same as light would be. I’m wondering if I need two in parallel to cover the 18” width

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the help !
I think 36 should be long enough, do you have the tanks right next to each other? Maybe take a measurement if you're not sure but if the light is a few cm short you'll be fine.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Only looking to cover one tank. Tank is 36” long, same as light would be. I’m wondering if I need two in parallel to cover the 18” width
Oh I misunderstood sorry. I raised my lights a little bit so that the light could reach every part. 2 LEDs would be overkill imo.
camps23 likes this.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Do you know if the drivers for these are built in to the bar? That seems to be the Achilles Heel of this type of light design is the heat build-up caused by the driver and the LEDs being in close proximity to each other. They put off great light and the plants love them, though.

Mark
Not sure. I've used the 22" bar, but its the screw-in type. This new longer one is already wired, but I don't know how its configured.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:

These lights:

Mark
So I ended up ordering this light and got free shipping as I had it shipped to a mailbox across the border in Detroit to save 45$ on shipping 😳. I will drive over this week and pickup. The wheels in the new 36x18x24 are starting to turn.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
So I ended up ordering this light and got free shipping as I had it shipped to a mailbox across the border in Detroit to save 45$ on shipping 😳. I will drive over this week and pickup. The wheels in the new 36x18x24 are starting to turn.
I hope you like it as much as I have mine :-)

Mark
camps23 likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
ive used the sunblaster LEDs (and still have them on broms) but i found they were too much for most plants and went back to 6700 T5 bulbs.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braydens View Post
ive used the sunblaster LEDs (and still have them on broms) but i found they were too much for most plants and went back to 6700 T5 bulbs.
Interesting, how long did you run them for? And were they sitting right ontop of the tank, or were they hanging above a bit?

What did you find happened that led you to believe they were too much for most plants?