Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Default Considering Blaberus giganteus exhibit, need background advice

I'll be copy/pasting this to two other places, and will link them up here in case anyone wants to see any other suggestions I might get.
Cave roach enclosure, advice needed (Blaberus giganteus) | Arachnoboards
Need advice, contemplating Blaberus giganteus enclosure - Enclosures and Barriers - Allpet Roaches Forum

I have a 65 gallon aquarium standing empty except for a couple inches of water, and I think I want to make a giant cave roach habitat. But a really cool one- like the inside of a cave. I've been looking at pictures of their natural habitat, and they live in rainforest caves in Central America. I'm thinking of making a background that looks like fake rock, and providing light only from one smaller fixture, like the light is shining down through a hole in the ceiling. The substrate would be a nice, thick layer of coco fiber and hardwood leaves, and I'd put some wood in for them to chew on.

My main concern is that the roaches will chew anything I use as a background. I don't want to use a cement background because it would be super heavy, and I don't want to work with clay, it's kind of a pain in large amounts. I'd thought about styrofoam with something over the top as sealant, but I'm worried the roaches would eat through the sealant and just start chewing.

Who's kept these guys, and how do you keep them? Any sort of background?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Considering Blaberus giganteus exhibit, need background advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
I'll be copy/pasting this to two other places, and will link them up here in case anyone wants to see any other suggestions I might get.
Cave roach enclosure, advice needed (Blaberus giganteus) | Arachnoboards
Need advice, contemplating Blaberus giganteus enclosure - Enclosures and Barriers - Allpet Roaches Forum

I have a 65 gallon aquarium standing empty except for a couple inches of water, and I think I want to make a giant cave roach habitat. But a really cool one- like the inside of a cave. I've been looking at pictures of their natural habitat, and they live in rainforest caves in Central America. I'm thinking of making a background that looks like fake rock, and providing light only from one smaller fixture, like the light is shining down through a hole in the ceiling. The substrate would be a nice, thick layer of coco fiber and hardwood leaves, and I'd put some wood in for them to chew on.

My main concern is that the roaches will chew anything I use as a background. I don't want to use a cement background because it would be super heavy, and I don't want to work with clay, it's kind of a pain in large amounts. I'd thought about styrofoam with something over the top as sealant, but I'm worried the roaches would eat through the sealant and just start chewing.

Who's kept these guys, and how do you keep them? Any sort of background?
I've never kept any roaches of any kind, though I have thought about it as a food source if I ever decide to get back into lizards....which I doubt, but you never know. I would check with an actual roach vendor about what they suggest since you have not yet had any suggestions here for a naturalistic setup. Good luck.