Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Default hygrolon/substrate

I was hoping someone could give me a bit of clarification. I'm in the process of building a new viv, I have the hygrolon ran down into the drainage layer hoping to wick that water back up. Will I have issues with the ABG touching the hygrolon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Default Re: hygrolon/substrate

Quote:
I was hoping someone could give me a bit of clarification. I'm in the process of building a new viv, I have the hygrolon ran down into the drainage layer hoping to wick that water back up. Will I have issues with the ABG touching the hygrolon?
Yes. YES you will. The issue is that the ABG is also an excellent wicker. If you have it in contact with the wet hygrolon, you'll have wet ABG. Naaaasty.

The fix is simple, but not always easy to achieve. (Much better to do it in new construction, not remodeling. So to speak.) Just have a wicking break or barrier between the 2 materials. A barrier (waterproof) would be something like a pane of glass. A break (draining) would be something like a lens of Turface or LECA, or a "slice" of Matala or Epiweb. Separate the wickers, that's the job you need to accomplish.

Nowadays I mostly use Matala for such applications. I bought quite a bit of it and I have lots of scraps laying around. And it's great at this job, it doesn't compress and it weighs nothing. It doesn't need to be full thickness either, you can double your coverage by "filleting" it. Use fiberglass window screen on the ABG side of the Matala or other wicking break, to keep the ABG from working through & completing the "wicking bridge" in future.

good luck!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Would you recommend the black or the grey matala? I know they are on the far ends of the spectrum but I'm thinking those 2 colors would be the easiest to hide.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:57 PM

The 4 different colors are all about staged filtration. I've only used two of the four colors (using similar thinking as yours - black and grey look more "natural", blue and green are "neon") but at our scale of very few gph's, they both pass water equally easily. I do think the finer stuff is more versatile to use, e.g. vertically as a climbing-plant medium. I've also used the grey as an animal screen over a waterfall inlet (I thought neonates of my charges might just squeeze thru the black).

So - good news - use whatever suits you!

happy crafting!!!