No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EllisGreenDesign

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 PM

Default Fly-Proofing Exo Terras with Foam Weatherstrips

Hey All,

So like many of you I purchased and built an exo terra vivarium only to find out that once frogs were brought home and fruit flies introduced I suddenly had more flies running around my house than in the tank.

That being said, I did purchase some SiFly silicone strips off glassboxtropicals but after a few days of opening and closing the tank the glass doors started pulling the silicone and the strips became a mess. I know people have suggested using foam weatherstrips in the past so I thought I'd give it a try and share my results.

I ended up purchasing two kinds of strips. A 1.5mm dense foam strip and another thats a lot softer and 5mm thick. I used the 1.5mm strips along the left and right sides of the doors. I also cut the 1.5mm strips down the middle and used those thin strips along the lip ontop of the front plastic vent piece.

Next I used the 5mm strips on the glass underneath the black plastic bit that runs along the top of the glass doors. That way when the doors are closed the flies can't squeeze through the cracks along the top.

Last but not least I used the 5mm strips along the bottom plastic bits on the doors. You don't want these strips to get squeezed between the door and lip when the closed because that will put pressure on the doors. Instead I placed it just above the lip so that when the doors are closed they come over the lip and now flies can't climb over and under the doors.

Having to do this isn't ideal but since installing the strips I haven't had any escaped fruit flies so its worth it if you ask me. It does add a bit of bulk to the otherwise pretty sleek Exo Terra but it doesn't bother me that much. What do you guys think?

Do_Gon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 08:54 PM

Good idea. Better than vacuuming flies. I just might try that as well. Hopefully it would not soak up water.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Fly-Proofing Exo Terras with Foam Weatherstrips

I wonder why I don't have problems with flies escaping from my Exo.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I wonder why I don't have problems with flies escaping from my Exo.
I don't either -- multiple vivs, and more than once I've bobbled the feeding cup and made a FF blizzard in the viv.

I feed wingless FFs -- not flightless. Wingless don't really get around much; flightless hop and are generally more active. I wonder if folks with escapee issues feed flightless.

- Whitman
Old 03-02-2019, 01:26 AM

I feed flightless, and haven't had a single escapee as far as I know.
Well I mean I'm sure there's been one or two...but nothing I've ever noticed.

Tags
escape, exo terra, fly proof