No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Betta132

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Default Best mister/fogger?

I'm trying to find a good mister that I can use on my two orchid terrariums. One is a 12" cube, one is 12x8x8". I'm thinking there's no reason I couldn't put them next to each other and plumb a mister or fogger into both of them at once.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something I can use to lightly spray at least once a day, to keep the humidity up for some orchids. I have chronic fatigue issues and am trying to set up these terrariums so I can ignore them for awhile and they won't die off.

I'd prefer something that's not much over $50. It doesn't need to fill much space, clearly, nor does it need to run constantly. I either need it to have a feature where I can program it when, for how long, and how much to spray, or I suppose I could run it through a light timer, but I'd prefer it to be programmable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Best mister/fogger?

for that sort of budget, I would look at a humidifier its the same as a fogger but a bit cheaper and would put it on a timer you will need some hose connecting it to the tanks or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-2L-Tank...-/263947886712 something like this it costs a bit more but should work great
Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 PM

Yeah, that's a fogger, that's what I'm talking about. I have the human-housing version of one for my room, but I don't think I could rig a hose to that very well, and it's not made to do anything other than high/low/off. I'd prefer something programmable.

Mostly I'm looking for a brand suggestion, something that someone knows works well and doesn't conk out after a month or so. I can use only distilled water on it to keep it from getting clogged. but I know some brands are known to have longevity issues.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:34 PM

sorry cannot help you there then other than a mistking which is what most will recommend but ist pricy, I DIY my own fogger with an ultrasonic fogger plus a fan in a tub of water that way it's cheap 15 and lasts ages if using distilled water there are a lot of tutorials on it on youtube. I think exo terra and zoo med do one but don't know how long they will last there just the same as a DIY version in a fancy package but I don't think they are programmable without added extras the mistking is but again you pay for that hope that helps a little
Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Mostly I'm looking for a brand suggestion, something that someone knows works well and doesn't conk out after a month or so.
Hopefully someone can prove me wrong, but I only brand I am aware of that isn't Chinese junk is MistKing.

Perhaps there is some sort of hand-held sprayer that is battery-powered?

- Whitman
Old 02-18-2019, 12:39 AM

Mist King is cheap considering the quality, automation, efficiency and peace of mind it provides. After an already expensive build with cost over-runs (welcome to any construction project) it was painful to then shell out for the Mist King toward the end when I was already over budget. However I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post

Perhaps there is some sort of hand-held sprayer that is battery-powered?
I reread your first post and realize that this won't help you 'ignore it for a while'. Sorry for the dumb suggestion.

If you want to leave things on autopilot for days at a time, a MistKing would be worth it, if you can swing the price. They are really dependable. (Another financial consideration: they hold their value somewhat, too, if you decide to go a different direction in the future.)
JimM likes this.

- Whitman
Old 02-18-2019, 03:47 AM

Can you take a picture of your setup?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:35 AM

The best fogger on the market is the Evergreen Pet Supplies Reptile Fogger. Check it out on Amazon. It's around 65-70 but will last you days and is cheaper then the Mistking. I have a starter Mistking and the Fogger I recommend you. They work great together for frogs and toads but you don't necessarily need both.

Good luck!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAronCap View Post
It's around 65-70 but will last you days
That feeling when you're trying to say something but the keyboard says it more accurately...

- Whitman
Old 02-18-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
That feeling when you're trying to say something but the keyboard says it more accurately...
I meant $65 lol not that it would last 65 days...woops

Old 02-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Yeah, that's the fogger I've mostly been looking at. Some of the people in the reviews seem to be having issues with it failing, though. Can that mostly be avoided by using distilled water?

Also, how tricky would it be to rig a fork into the outlet tube?

Roughly how large is the whole unit? Are we talking the size of a gallon jug?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's the fogger I've mostly been looking at. Some of the people in the reviews seem to be having issues with it failing, though. Can that mostly be avoided by using distilled water?

Also, how tricky would it be to rig a fork into the outlet tube?

Roughly how large is the whole unit? Are we talking the size of a gallon jug?
The only way this thing would fail is if you turned it on the highest setting for as long as you wanted without turning it down. I keep mine on a lower setting and it is good enough to put fog in a 125 gallon aquarium in about 5 minutes. And that's on less than half the way of the power. I think it's around a gallon but maybe a little bit less. It's very durable and I think it is one of the better foggers on the market.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:19 PM

I went with an Exo Terra unit that I found. It's programmable and is made to run either one or two nozzles, plus it's fairly small. Exo Terra makes good-quality other things, so I'm hoping they also make good-quality humidifiers.
AAronCap likes this.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:36 PM

scrumpydc's suggestion is perfect. I used a similar cool mist humidifier and a properly sized PVC fitting connected to rubber tubing, a tee and 2 more pieces of rubber tubing to provide humidity for Jacksons chameleons. If interested I will try to post pics tomorrow morning.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I went with an Exo Terra unit that I found. It's programmable and is made to run either one or two nozzles, plus it's fairly small. Exo Terra makes good-quality other things, so I'm hoping they also make good-quality humidifiers.
I used to have a monsoon and it worked really well. I wish you luck

Old 02-24-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAronCap View Post
The best fogger on the market is the Evergreen Pet Supplies Reptile Fogger. Check it out on Amazon. It's around 65-70 but will last you days and is cheaper then the Mistking. I have a starter Mistking and the Fogger I recommend you. They work great together for frogs and toads but you don't necessarily need both.

Good luck!

I have been using something like this for years. They are inexpensive, designed to run continuously for hours at at time. Some of the pet ones are not designed for longevity.

Take the plastic diverter off the top of the unit, get a PVC reducer fitting to adapt to the opening on top, some pipe, a couple of 90 degree fittings, Tee fittings, what ever you need from Home Depot to plumb the fog to the top and across each tank and you are in business for $20 to $40.

I have purchased brand new units in discount stores for under $10. Still running after years of use.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalk View Post
I have been using something like this for years. They are inexpensive, designed to run continuously for hours at at time. Some of the pet ones are not designed for longevity.

Take the plastic diverter off the top of the unit, get a PVC reducer fitting to adapt to the opening on top, some pipe, a couple of 90 degree fittings, Tee fittings, what ever you need from Home Depot to plumb the fog to the top and across each tank and you are in business for $20 to $40.

I have purchased brand new units in discount stores for under $10. Still running after years of use.

The Evergreen Pet Supplies Reptile Fogger is made to last a long time. This can run for hours for a time as well. I see these diy foggers and I just wasn't impressed it didn't sway me enough to make one. My fogger is going on a year soon running hours every day and I haven't noticed a difference. Amazon sells it a lot as it's Amazon's choice because of many good qualities of the fogger. It's a very powerful fogger but I don't demand that much from it.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:22 PM

I use one of those humidifiers for my room, but I need a few small sprays of water a day, rather than continuous running, so I opted for something I can program. If what I wanted was to keep an enclosure constantly fogged, like some people do with chameleons, I think I'd get one of the constant-run humidifiers.
Another reason I like the Exo-Terra is it looks so much easier to refill. Most of the humidifiers, you have to lift the top off, unplug the hoses to get to a sink, turn the top upside down, and unscrew a thing on its base. The Exo-Terra, you lift the lid off, the hoses stay contained to the lid, and you take the reservoir wherever.