Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 AM

Default Ideas for glass top on 40b

OK, I'm near the end of my build, tank is planted, I have the lights, mistking starter kit with zip drip and dual nozzles will be here in a week, and I will add some moss mix then. This tank is a 40 breeder, reptile style with a sliding screen lid. I'd like to retain the ability to slide the whole top off, but I am wondering if covering most of the top with glass and opening that way every time I feed, etc is the way to go, or to create a 2 piece glass top over the sliding frame that flips open for most uses, but can still slide open if needed? The back side will need to have 2 notches cut into it where the plastic "tabs" click onto the lid frame when shut, and I figured I'd leave some room there for ventilation, as well as the front. I'd cut most of the screen out, but attach the front inch or so to the glass for front ventilation. I create a "build" thread with pictures of steps throughout once it's done.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 04:28 AM

wow, thanks for all of the great suggestions! I did get an actual suggestion via pm and I used some of the ideas to sketch out my plan. This will allow me to open the tank via the front folding glass on top, or slide the whole lid open for easy access to the whole tank. My uncle and mom used to work at a glass place and I'm getting a quote soon. hopefully they can do all the cutting and drilling so I don't have to do anything but attach screen mesh to vents and connect with acrylic hinges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190127_163135_1548649573488.jpg (22.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-28-2019, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Ideas for glass top on 40b

I also have a 40 Breeder and wanted the ability to use the little door on the screened lid and all that. I have read in many places that glass is the only way to go because acrylic warps over time. But I am pretty sure that happens if you just use an acrylic sheet on its own.

What I did was bond an acrylic sheet into the thick plastic frame that came with the tank and then removed the screen. The original little door near the edge is still there and I have a feeding station right under it. So all I have to do is open the little door, dump my flies and never actually have to remove the lid if I don't want to.

I have had this for 6 months, no warping, no debonding. It is light in weight, I did it myself and it was pretty easy. I bought the acrylic at Home Depot for $30. Very happy with this setup. I can take some pictures if you should request them.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:57 AM

mine doesn't have the door, all screen. but I'd still like to see pics please
Old 01-28-2019, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Ideas for glass top on 40b

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyoconnor83 View Post
OK, I'm near the end of my build, tank is planted, I have the lights, mistking starter kit with zip drip and dual nozzles will be here in a week, and I will add some moss mix then. This tank is a 40 breeder, reptile style with a sliding screen lid. I'd like to retain the ability to slide the whole top off, but I am wondering if covering most of the top with glass and opening that way every time I feed, etc is the way to go, or to create a 2 piece glass top over the sliding frame that flips open for most uses, but can still slide open if needed? The back side will need to have 2 notches cut into it where the plastic "tabs" click onto the lid frame when shut, and I figured I'd leave some room there for ventilation, as well as the front. I'd cut most of the screen out, but attach the front inch or so to the glass for front ventilation. I create a "build" thread with pictures of steps throughout once it's done.

Thoughts?
For future reference, if you want people to comment on something like this, give them some pictures. It's hard to describe in words what you are trying to do. This is one of those situations where a picture really is worth a 1000 words. Hope you get the solution you are looking for.

Mark
Socratic Monologue and JimM like this.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:08 PM

thanks, I designed this to go over the sliding frame so that most of the time, I just open the front but if needed, I can slide the whole top out. $120 for a custom glass shop. not sure how much I'd save if I could get my hands on 1/4" thick 36" wide glass sheets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190131_184707_1549062387647.jpg (27.5 KB, 16 views)