Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2019, 06:03 AM

Default Drlyock on acrylic lid?

Since drilling glass for my lid is not an option, I’m temporarily using 1/4” acrylic. The lids are two parts, hinged. The back pieces that are drilled for the plumbing are about 4” deep x 20” long. The front pieces will be made of glass.

I know warping will eventually happen to the acrylic because of humidity. I’m wondering if painting a few coats of clear, latex based drylock on the two back acrylic pieces that are drilled will prevent warping.

My other option is to make the drilled pieces out of thicker plywood and then drylock them. Not worried about a 4” deep opaque lid on the back of the tank..there will be plenty of light and the gs foam background sticks out about 2 or 3” in some spots anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Drlyock on acrylic lid?

one option is to go to a glass cutter and have them drill it for you. I don't think the drylok will prevent the acrylic from warping though if you use the basic drylok then you could probably use the plywood.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:04 PM

The local glass shop is way too expensive..would cost me $160 each!
I think I’m gonna make a piece out of wood, using the already drilled acrylic as a template and maybe experiment with drylock on 1 piece and plastidip on the 2nd.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM

Acrylic is often more expensive than glass and always less reliable im going through this exact situation right now. Drill on Amazon like 40$ and an assortment of glass drilling bits on Amazon like 20$ they dont last long but they work perfect. It really is not as difficult as it seems im super noob and i built my entire vivarium drilled and seals all myself. Took apart an old 40g. If i can do it you can too. Keep an eye out for used tanks on craigslist or pet store you can dismantle them and get the glass you need for probably a fraction of the price.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 PM

Iíve definitely considered it, but the way itís plumbed, the holes are about 1.5Ē from the edge of the glass...and maybe 2Ē space between them. I could always get some cheap glass, but Iím concerned about the glass cracking while drilling because the holes are so close to the edge and each other.

Iíve never cut glass but I hear that the holes need to be 3Ē from the edges?
top.jpg
Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks View Post
Iíve definitely considered it, but the way itís plumbed, the holes are about 1.5Ē from the edge of the glass...and maybe 2Ē space between them. I could always get some cheap glass, but Iím concerned about the glass cracking while drilling because the holes are so close to the edge and each other.

Iíve never cut glass but I hear that the holes need to be 3Ē from the edges?
Attachment 278406

I dont think that is true ive drilled holes in picture frame glass that was already covered with holes i previously made. as long as you are not forcing the drill through the hole like an insane person it will not break. just keep applying some water so the dust doesnt fly and the bit doesnt get hot. almost positive the drain for my vivarium is not even 2 inches from the edge/bottom. If the glass is aquarium glass thickness which the thinnest ive seen was 3/16, youre going to have to be banging the glass with the bit to break it lol it wont break from normal drilling.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:47 PM

Woohoo!! I’m gonna try it.. Thanks 🙂
Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 PM

Here is my vivarium naked with just the glass and the holes. As you can see, very close to the edge and there was no increased risk from what i can tell. Every size, location, is pretty much the same deal. The hardest part is the beginning step. Getting the drill bit to create a groove that the bit can follow and drill around.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:21 PM

While a plexiglass / acrylic lid will warp a lexan / polycarbonate one will not and is easy to drill / route holes in.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:21 AM

How will the lexan/polycarbonate affect light transmission?