Default Re: polystyrene background

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
No, EPS is pretty rot proof.

Solo
many thanks was not sure if it do or not

Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 PM

Just watch out for weathering. Depending on the density it can easily 'weather' or have small beads break loose from the background. If you are going to use the tube and baster method to drain your false bottom I would set it up at the side of the tank, not touching the EPS background.

Solo
ds51 likes this.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
Just watch out for weathering. Depending on the density it can easily 'weather' or have small beads break loose from the background. If you are going to use the tube and baster method to drain your false bottom I would set it up at the side of the tank, not touching the EPS background.

Solo
thanks once again for the info
I will be butting in a piece of pipe with a cap and use a tube to syphon of the excess water when needed
thanks
Old 01-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
so the background that come with the exo terra terrarium...about three inches of this will be sitting in water all the time...
will this start to rot and fall apart after time
Agreed - rot is not a concern. But it will absorb plenty of water. And leach dyes and gases into the air and water. Leaching is accelerated with the water absorption. Yum.

I personally wouldn't have it sitting in water. Why not just hack off the bottom, so it comes down to just above the substrate level? That way it's less prone to the negative issues mentioned above. (I assume you're going to adhere it to the back of the tank, so it can "levitate".)

Cutting it will unleash a mess of "balls" with super-annoying static cling. Just cover the cut edge (or better yet, the whole damn thing!) with something pet-safe and encapsulating. E.g. acrylic modeling paint. Or epoxy, such as Pond Shield. The latter comes in various colors and also can be painted. I'm confident you can do a better paint job than Exo provides. You did model railroading? Yeah, you've probably got some art skills.

Finally - are you sure you don't want to just drill & drain? Skip the whole tube, cap, basting routine? For real, it is nothing whatsoever to be intimidated by.

In closing - this may all feel like an unwelcome speed bump. However the advice is borne of experience. In the long haul IMO you'd get better performance and thus satisfaction this way, than how you're setting out. Free advice though - take it, modify it, reject it outright, as you will.

Have fun, and good luck!
Encyclia and ds51 like this.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgragg View Post
Agreed - rot is not a concern. But it will absorb plenty of water. And leach dyes and gases into the air and water. Leaching is accelerated with the water absorption. Yum.

I personally wouldn't have it sitting in water. Why not just hack off the bottom, so it comes down to just above the substrate level? That way it's less prone to the negative issues mentioned above. (I assume you're going to adhere it to the back of the tank, so it can "levitate".)

Cutting it will unleash a mess of "balls" with super-annoying static cling. Just cover the cut edge (or better yet, the whole damn thing!) with something pet-safe and encapsulating. E.g. acrylic modeling paint. Or epoxy, such as Pond Shield. The latter comes in various colors and also can be painted. I'm confident you can do a better paint job than Exo provides. You did model railroading? Yeah, you've probably got some art skills.

Finally - are you sure you don't want to just drill & drain? Skip the whole tube, cap, basting routine? For real, it is nothing whatsoever to be intimidated by.

In closing - this may all feel like an unwelcome speed bump. However the advice is borne of experience. In the long haul IMO you'd get better performance and thus satisfaction this way, than how you're setting out. Free advice though - take it, modify it, reject it outright, as you will.

Have fun, and good luck!
would it not just be easy just coat with clear Pond Shield all over
than go about cutting of some of the background
Old 01-24-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
would it not just be easy just coat with clear Pond Shield all over
than go about cutting of some of the background
Yep, covering the whole thing in Pond Shield would be easy. I recommend doing exactly that.

However - I doubt you'll get away without a little foam trimming first - the Exo backgrounds come pretty snug. By coating with epoxy, which dries rigid and adds several mils of thickness, you will 1) lose the styro's ability to compress a little lit and 2) be starting with a larger insert. So - I am pretty certain you'll discover your background no longer fits...arg, pisser!

If you're gonna trim off a little width and a little height, why not just whack off the bottom couple of inches too? It's cheap insurance on your epoxy coating - no need to challenge your handiwork with full-time submersion down in the drainage layer.

Oh, I should also note - if you want to adhere the Exo background to the back-wall glass, do not epoxy the styro face that's gonna get siliconed. The silicone will not stick well to the epoxy - but it will stick just fine to the uncoated foam.
  1. The way I do this is, simply don't epoxy the back of the foam. Just the front and sides.
  2. Then, make sure to run a solid thick bead of silicone all the way around the perimeter of the uncoated backside of the foam. Lay it on about 1/2" from the edge, all the way around.
  3. Then carefully get it into the tank, and "moosh" the insert up against the glass so the silicone squishes flat and wide back there - you can look through the clear glass to see how it works. All you need is a waterproof "ring" of silicone around the edge of the foam, keeping the water out of the back there.
  4. If you're picky about how it looks from behind, before laying your silicone bead on the foam, you can first smear a thin coat of silicone all over the back glass. A putty knife works well for this job. This step is optional.

Good luck!