No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By connorology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Backlit Background Suggestions

Good Afternoon,

So I recently re-did my chameleon's enclosure (it's a 3' by 3 ' by 18" Exo-Terra). I wanted a partially 3D background, but also wanted a skyline because chameleons live high up in trees and a dark cliff-face or tree type background didn't have the look I was going for.

What I ultimately ended up doing was going through some pictures I took in the cloud forest in Costa Rica, and pulling one that I took that had a large tree growing on the edge of a cliff and looked out for miles and miles over the rainforest. I then had it printed on backlit film that folks use for light up movie posters, built a 3D tree over the tree in the picture, and installed the whole thing. Overall, I am very satisfied.

However, I also built an LED apparatus to light the skyline, but I'm not completely satisfied with the effect. I think part of the reason it looks weird is because the tree-line lowest on the horizon ends up being lit brighter than the enclosure itself, and that looks weird (though it's perhaps hard to tell in photos). I may try to either dim the entire thing, or cut some film or butcher paper the shape of the tree-line to selectively dim that section, maintaining the brightness of the sky. There's also some minor adjustments I need to make, like putting something over the far left side where wires are visible (I'll probably just use black contact paper).

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Here are the pictures:

Backlight on:

Backlight apparatus visible:

Backlight off:
Woodswalker and Jeremy Perez like this.

Connor
The Following User Says Thank You to connorology For This Useful Post:
Philsuma (01-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Backlit Background Suggestions

Oh, and I should add that all the plants are doing well for the time being. I'm skeptical I'll be able to maintain the orchid that low in the terrarium long-term, but it's working for now. I've been tweaking things, but the main plants have been in place for a month and are all actively growing.

Connor
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM

That looks amazing.
Many hobbyist do have a cage kinda enclosure but yours looks super.
Now I know that chameleons need ventilation, hows that incorporated in this enclosure?

Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 AM

Thanks! I put a couple more layers of diffuser over the backlight and I think it's looking more to my satisfaction now. Maybe not at 100%, but better.

Quote:
Now I know that chameleons need ventilation, hows that incorporated in this enclosure?
Exo-Terras have enough ventilation for chameleons, since the heat lights pull cool air in from the vents under the cage doors as the hot air rises. They just can't handle being kept in conditions with no air flow, like a fully glass enclosure. Here's my citation, though I've been doing it for a few years without any ill effects. The article is a little out of date because at the time Exo-Terra was not offering the full size terrariums they offer now, and so it wasn't really feasible to keep panthers in them.

I did pull the liner out of the vents on the bottom and replaced it with fiberglass mesh to try and increase airflow, though I admittedly have no way of quantifying this effect.

Connor
Old 01-15-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorology View Post
Good Afternoon,

So I recently re-did my chameleon's enclosure (it's a 3' by 3 ' by 18" Exo-Terra). I wanted a partially 3D background, but also wanted a skyline because chameleons live high up in trees and a dark cliff-face or tree type background didn't have the look I was going for.

What I ultimately ended up doing was going through some pictures I took in the cloud forest in Costa Rica, and pulling one that I took that had a large tree growing on the edge of a cliff and looked out for miles and miles over the rainforest. I then had it printed on backlit film that folks use for light up movie posters, built a 3D tree over the tree in the picture, and installed the whole thing. Overall, I am very satisfied.

However, I also built an LED apparatus to light the skyline, but I'm not completely satisfied with the effect. I think part of the reason it looks weird is because the tree-line lowest on the horizon ends up being lit brighter than the enclosure itself, and that looks weird (though it's perhaps hard to tell in photos). I may try to either dim the entire thing, or cut some film or butcher paper the shape of the tree-line to selectively dim that section, maintaining the brightness of the sky. There's also some minor adjustments I need to make, like putting something over the far left side where wires are visible (I'll probably just use black contact paper).

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Here are the pictures:

Backlight on:

Backlight apparatus visible:

Backlight off:

When I read this, I admit I was like "ouch, I am afraid to look"...but WHOA, I am amazed how really cool it looks!!!

I had a similar idea for ours, that I have not ruled out YET, but yours looks really cool.

I think the wax paper idea would work or maybe colored cellophane...honestly, I have no idea. I am sure you will make it work, you've done a great job so far.
I did see the comment about ventilation. Amazon has some really cool small pc fans that I am using for ventilation in a small greenhouse, really a grow tent with bromeliads in it...let me know and i will share the link.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainforestExhibit View Post
I did see the comment about ventilation. Amazon has some really cool small pc fans that I am using for ventilation in a small greenhouse, really a grow tent with bromeliads in it...let me know and i will share the link.
Yeah if you don't mind, send me a DM with the fan info. I've had my panther in this enclosure for about 2 years without any issues, and vented glass terrariums have started to catch on with chameleon keepers in the last few years.

But it never hurts to have a plan in place if need be, and I may be moving in the next year or so and am not sure what kind of climate I'll end up in.

Connor
Old 01-16-2019, 04:33 AM

looks really good. Never tried it but 2 ideas would be to apply a mask of some sort on the back side of where you want it darker (use a vinyl sticker and cut to shape) and see if that work which would be the cheaper option. The other one which is pretty much the same concept of what you did would be to try asking these guys https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...ht-box-panels/
The Following User Says Thank You to Seth W For This Useful Post:
connorology (01-25-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 AM

I wanted to post an update to this build: I have added additional layers of light diffuser onto the backdrop, and reached the level of brightness I am looking for. I am also up to 30 unique plant species in the enclosure.

Someday I'll set up my DSLR and mess with the lighting and camera settings until I can get a really good shot (the backlight looks really good in person and not very good on camera). Until then, here are some iPhone pictures.

Panther chameleon

Overall Vivarium

Macodes petola and Cryptanthus

Ludochilus "Sea turtle"

I have a couple more plants in my grow out I am going to add, and then I'm looking to put in 1-2 epiphytic orchids, but after that I think I'm basically done planting and it'll just be about maintenance and letting everything grow in the way I want it. I am trying to encourage my various vines to grow over the climbing branches.

Connor