Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 PM

Default Extruded polystyrene foam

Just wondering if any of you guys or gals know of any places that sell EPS foam in cubes or blocks. Looking for something thicker than the usual 1/2" or 1" sheets they sell at the home improvement stores. Gets to be a little tedious gluing together layers of foam to make rocks, boulders, or outcroppings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Extruded polystyrene foam

Have had better luck with home depo than lows for this stuff...of all things I put them together with toothpicks then glued (silicon) them in place once I was happy with the look of them. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...52DD/202085962 then used drylock to seal it all up.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:45 AM

Seth's post to the 2" stuff is instructive. I'm lucky enough to live in a medium-sized city (a mil & a quarter?), with about 4 Home Depots and 2-3 Lowe's within about a 5-mile radius. Also a handful of smaller regional stores.

Anyway, my point is that these stores all vary a little bit in what they keep in stock. The nearest HD to me only carries a little section of 4x8 insulation sheets - mainly the thinner XPS, and almost no foil-faced iso board. I have to go halfway across town if I want a bigger selection of the iso board (good for reflective / IR barrier, as well as way less eco-yucky than the XPS). I have to go a similar distance in the other direction if I want a bigger selection of the pink-board XPS. That store always has about 80 sheets of the 2" stuff (and plenty of every other size, too) on hand. Whereas my nearest place never has more than maybe 5-10 sheets each of the 1/2" and the 1" on hand, and nothing else. It's kind of interesting. Are the buying habits of my city's residents really that variable?

If you live in a place with just one big-box building-supplies retailer, you might want to get something delivered there from one of their warehouses. Pay for it online, and have it delivered to will-call.

Not sure, OP, if 2" thick is quite what you had in mind. But hey, it's half as much laminating than if you'd used 1"!!! I've never seen XPS in cube form, FWIW. You could build as XPS shell and just fill it w/ expanding PU...? Unless you're looking for jungle-gym stout, I guess.

good luck

Old 01-17-2019, 03:14 AM

Depending on the size you need, cake decorating store often sell 4" and sometimes even thicker pieces, usually 12" x 12" up to 24" x 24"

Solo
Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
Just wondering if any of you guys or gals know of any places that sell EPS foam in cubes or blocks. Looking for something thicker than the usual 1/2" or 1" sheets they sell at the home improvement stores. Gets to be a little tedious gluing together layers of foam to make rocks, boulders, or outcroppings.
That is what we are using for The Rainforest Exhibit.

Our supplier is DUNAUSA.

Check out our project and the Instagram which shows the foam slabs.
High Density Foam.

http://www.instagram.com/therainforestexhibit

http://www.therainforestexhibit.com
Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
the foam slabs
Whoa. Them are some big 'uns.

So uh - how do you cut those? Hot wire, recip saw, electric knife? Looks pretty daunting, to have much control and finesse. Gotta be a power tool involved, seems like.

Quote:
cake decorating store
Very fun tip. I will have to keep that in mind! Thank you much.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:15 PM

when I was building a model railway I used mod rock
for making a rocky hillside or outcrop
I would just roll up newspaper then cover with the mod rock
let it set and then spray pants with a primer
before giving it the final colour and coating
so you could pin together the polystyrene sheets then rap the mod rock around them
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modrock-P....c101006.m3226

Last edited by ds51; 01-18-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 PM

That's interesting stuff. Never seen it, not since fiberglass casts for broken limbs came along! Ha ha.

Seriously though, the approach (a la papier mache) would be completely novel in this hobby, where we tend to favor the water resistant and adore the truly waterproof. But, it's cheap and fast. Securely covering it in a truly waterproof coating would be a requirement, and something of a technical challenge for the not-so-handy among us - but it is possible.

This is the point where I usually preach epoxy. Ha ha ha. I'll just skip that part.

Thanks DS51.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:16 AM

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/close...dcellfoam.html

This is the best source I have found for larger foam and unusual foam orders. They're prompt and have good customer service. I have only ordered open cell and memory foam from them and the packaging is impressive for that.

They have very thick foam available and for a fee will custom cut for you.

I never have had any outgassing issues, their foam is fully cured and aired out in my experience.

-Andrew