Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 01:59 AM

Default Help with Mistking purchase

I've hardscaped a 40 breeder and I'm almost ready to plant it (I still need to cut glass for the lid, decide on lighting, and figure out where/how to install the fan). I believe the Mist king starter is enough, although I know I need additional heads for the 40 breeder. what do I need to buy along with what is included in the starter kit to have 3 or 4 spray nozzles, and should I also get the zip drip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Help with Mistking purchase

I'm not a big fan of the zip drip, their form and function leave a bit to be desired. If you have a tank drain, and locate your heads over something that can tolerate - or better yet benefit from - a little dripping, you can get by very happily without it. E.g. put some some mosses or Selaginella straight down under the orifice, if your light is up to it. Or a patch of bare Turface or gravel, if i's too dark down there.

I forget what's in a starter kit. Two heads? The way I do things, a head for (for, not at, if you see the difference) every 12" or so is adequate.
  • I used to install misters first, then locate my branches etc to suit.
  • But nowadays I prefer to go ahead and do my branches & mounts and stuff, and then just install the heads exactly where they need to go; the final count is conditioned on where there needs to be a head.
  • Bottom line, I think your spray-head spacing & density is mostly a function of where your thirsty plants are.

Also perhaps of interest - I've just got a clear plastic shoebox full of MistKing components. A couple ball valves, a couple bulkheads, 3-4 extra "value singles", a half dozen each of extra tees and elbows, and also a tubing cutter. I manage the clutter with a couple of little ziploc baggies. I also went ahead and bought 25' or so of "extra" tubing. Some folks might think this an extravagant waste of money. Au contraire. This spare capacity allows me the freedom to modify my setup any time of day or night. No waiting on delivery, no paying to ship a part here and a part there. I want to add a head to an existing tank? No prob. Set up a new tank? No prob. Tear down a tank and store the off-line parts? No prob. Add a new reservoir? No prob. Yeah, I love it. Think it over, it might work for you too.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Help with Mistking purchase

For what it's worth; I actually enjoy the zip drip. It does exactly what it says it will do, with minimum fuss or extra installation. YMMV.