No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By andrewdingemans
  • 1 Post By andrewdingemans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 AM

Default Quarantine Tanks for The Rainforest Exhibit

The Rainforest Exhibit Build Blog and YouTube Vlog, is still going strong! Our huge vivarium/indoor rainforest is slowly coming together.
We just posted a vlog about the high density foam we're using from DUNAUSA. Although it was an unboxing video of the sample pieces we received, we have already received the big foam slabs that we are using in the vivarium.
One of the ideas I personally had, was to offer some of this foam to a winner of a giveaway (if I have one). So let me know if this would be a good idea and I will start working on something...maybe I will throw in some awesome driftwood as well.
Let me know your thoughts!

The reason for this post is to let you know that we have some cool Custom Aquariums coming from http://www.customaquariums.com
We needed some quarantine enclosures/exhibits to hold any new fauna we will be getting, just as a precaution. We are getting Golden Poison frogs, maybe Red Eyed tree Frogs, and some Mourning Geckos.

I am posting the pics here. One is of the 70 Gallon enclosure and the other is one picture of two of the 30 Gallons we will receiving from our friends over at Custom Aquariums.
All of the enclosures in our office are from them and we cannot express how much we love what they make.

As they will be quarantine tanks, I do plan on creating some cool exhibits in them...I will post the progress.
I would love to hear your views and comments, so please let me know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA Quarantine70gallon.jpg (8.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg CA Quarantine30gallon1.jpg (9.8 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Quarantine Tanks for The Rainforest Exhibit

Always love a giveaway, who could say no to that lol.

Quarantine tanks look nice, but I have heard of people having to scrap entire tanks because of disease.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2019, 04:33 PM

I would have to agree, free stuff is always great!

I have been seriously considering a couple options from Custom Aquariums as well for a reef tank as well as a big viv. All the more reason I might need some freebies!

-Nick

Old 01-05-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalez View Post
Always love a giveaway, who could say no to that lol.

Quarantine tanks look nice, but I have heard of people having to scrap entire tanks because of disease.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hence, the quarantine tanks!
Everything will go into these before they go into the 8 foot tall vivarium!

No worries, I had planned to have giveaways!!!

Thanks for your feedback!!!
Old 01-05-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan View Post
I would have to agree, free stuff is always great!

I have been seriously considering a couple options from Custom Aquariums as well for a reef tank as well as a big viv. All the more reason I might need some freebies!

-Nick
I can tell you that you will not be disappointed.
Their aquariums are amazing! The quality will take you by surprise, sincerely.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:59 AM

WOW...it has been quite a couple of weeks over here! Besides getting a bit farther on the interior plumbing, we received our quarantine tanks from Custom Aquariums. Two 30 Gallon tanks(17.5 High x 21.5 Length x 17 5/8 Wide) and one 75 Gallon (30" High x 24" Wide x 24" Length).

These were slightly used or "Dented/Scratch" models, but that didn't matter to me. They just needed a couple of things like, lids, being cleaned, tweaking here and there. The one issue, was Holy Mother of Hubbard, these things are HEAVY! The 30 Gallon tanks made the old All-Glass Aquariums look like a child's toy! I debated even putting them on my trusty old template glass desk from Sharper Image (bought the desk a LOOOOOONG time ago), but this desk has been through 5 to 6 moves all over the USA, down South, up North, the Arctic chills of the North, and the humid heat of the South, and both in NYC, and hurricanes, an earthquake (minor one, but it sure adds flavor to this post), well, you get the point.

So, they are on the desk and I think it will be fine. Since they are my quarantine tanks, I won't be stuffing them with aesthetically pleasing vivarium stuff, so it won't add too much weight.

The 75 Gallon. HELLO!?!? What the what the what!?!?!?!
Another behemoth! It has to weigh 200+ pounds, I don't know, just shockingly heavy! The glass is 1/2" thick, so it figures it would be heavy.

For this one, I used parts of the beautiful crate the came in and built a stand for it. 25" wide x 25" long x 36" tall. I wanted it to be to my height, hence, the 36" tall stand. I had some red spray paint and I went at it. I may put panels over the frame, so the color really doesn't matter, besides I have a gloss orange wall to the left of it, so, well...I'll just leave that there.

I normally would build the stand beefier, but since there is no water involved, I am sure it will be fine.

So, let me know your thoughts? I love advice and I have already received some awesome advice on Instagram, that really helped me out!

I want to say something here, and I hope it comes across the way I mean it...when I built vivariums in the late 90's, there was NOTHING like this, no forums, social media, no back and forth with other hobbyists. This is such an awesome thing going on, with so much information and people having all levels of experience! If you need information, assistance, help, etc., it is pretty darn set in stone that someone will have an answer or can sway you in the right direction. I really do hope that it isn't taken for granted.

I should have some more updates within the week or so!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg treQuarantine30twinlighted.jpg (50.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg treQuarantine30twinmontage.jpg (77.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg treQuarantine75stand2.jpg (73.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg treQuarantine75stand5withlevel.jpg (68.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg treQuarantine75stand1.jpg (100.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg treQuarantine75stand3paintedred.jpg (52.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg treQuarantine751.jpg (67.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-09-2019, 05:33 AM

All I can say is wow! Wish I had space is my small condo for some Custom Aquarium tanks. It's awesome how one of your quarantine tanks is the same as what my display tank is going to be (75 gallon tower tank). I too have mine at 3 feet up so the viewing angles are maximized. Can't wait to see what you do to these tanks knowing that the exhibit is going to be a show stopper I am sure!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdingemans View Post
All I can say is wow! Wish I had space is my small condo for some Custom Aquarium tanks. It's awesome how one of your quarantine tanks is the same as what my display tank is going to be (75 gallon tower tank). I too have mine at 3 feet up so the viewing angles are maximized. Can't wait to see what you do to these tanks knowing that the exhibit is going to be a show stopper I am sure!
Thank you, Andrew!!!

The 2 smaller tanks will be to house any new animals that I get after the first Golden Poison Frogs are put into the exhibit. I am considering getting some from different breeders, so I want to be prepared.

The 75 gallon would be for the tree frogs. If I do not use it for that purpose, I may use it to propagate plants. That is so cool that we have them at the same height!
I wonder if it is the tank itself that made us think of that?!?! What was your thought process when having a 36" stand? I am just curious.

You mentioned a small condo. I know EXACTLY what you are going through! Space is always a concern. I had my toy collection along the wall where The Rainforest Exhibit is now. I had to pile them up in the back room until I figure a way to display them, if I can. I have some ideas for enclosures for small rooms...when I get caught up with all this stuff, remind me and maybe we can talk about them.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Almost forgot...my wife asked me, why did you paint it red? The answer..."The only paint I had was 2 full red spray paint cans!"

How about that for a reason, Andrew?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainforestExhibit View Post
Quote:
Thank you, Andrew!!!

The 2 smaller tanks will be to house any new animals that I get after the first Golden Poison Frogs are put into the exhibit. I am considering getting some from different breeders, so I want to be prepared.

The 75 gallon would be for the tree frogs. If I do not use it for that purpose, I may use it to propagate plants. That is so cool that we have them at the same height!
I wonder if it is the tank itself that made us think of that?!?! What was your thought process when having a 36" stand? I am just curious.

You mentioned a small condo. I know EXACTLY what you are going through! Space is always a concern. I had my toy collection along the wall where The Rainforest Exhibit is now. I had to pile them up in the back room until I figure a way to display them, if I can. I have some ideas for enclosures for small rooms...when I get caught up with all this stuff, remind me and maybe we can talk about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainforestExhibit View Post
Quote:
Almost forgot...my wife asked me, why did you paint it red? The answer..."The only paint I had was 2 full red spray paint cans!"

How about that for a reason, Andrew?
That's awesome with the tree frogs. I am hopefully going to go with something small like 4, 5 or 6 of some type of thumbnail but we will still see, still doing my research.

Having 2 30' for keeping the breeder supply seperate is a safe idea.

In regards to space, my wife collects books so trying to devote wall space to our hobbies and storage is a constant battle. My reef tank is in the middle between kitchen and living space and this 75 will be infront of a window. The tall stand idea is particularly because it is located over a mini freezer.

Haha funny answer regarding the paint. Same answer I had when she asked why I painted the winter wheels for our car 3 different shades of purple " I had 3 spare cans of purple dip in storage that don't fit in the spray paint storage bin" lol... It obviously did not go over well. Are you going to leave the stand bare or will it get any sort of cladding?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
That's awesome with the tree frogs. I am hopefully going to go with something small like 4, 5 or 6 of some type of thumbnail but we will still see, still doing my research.

Having 2 30' for keeping the breeder supply seperate is a safe idea.

In regards to space, my wife collects books so trying to devote wall space to our hobbies and storage is a constant battle. My reef tank is in the middle between kitchen and living space and this 75 will be infront of a window. The tall stand idea is particularly because it is located over a mini freezer.

Haha funny answer regarding the paint. Same answer I had when she asked why I painted the winter wheels for our car 3 different shades of purple " I had 3 spare cans of purple dip in storage that don't fit in the spray paint storage bin" lol... It obviously did not go over well. Are you going to leave the stand bare or will it get any sort of cladding?

Cool!

My daughter collects books as well, like your wife, she has a lot!
Her husband is a cop and he is allowed to get any law enforcement thingamajigger and she gets all the books she wants, they are quite happy!

ANYWAY, I actually have an orange wall to the left of the red stand vivarium. I have a bunch of my autographed things on there from Def Leppard to 3 Doors Down(my sneaker biz, is why I have all of that), so it really doesn't look out of place when taking in the whole office. Nevertheless, I am considering putting some finished thin plywood over it and paint it flat/satin black. Put a door on it as well.
But this is not a priority.

Right now my main focus, is getting the plumbing done on the main exhibit and start the rocks, mud, interior of The Rainforest Exhibit,
I carved a large rock feature, but it needs to be finished.

Here is a pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TREmonolith1.jpg (102.1 KB, 15 views)

Tags
custom aquariums, driftwood, paludarium, vivaria