Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2004, 06:30 PM

Default how to make sliding doors

I think I want to upgrade from front opening doors to sliding. Is there anything I should look for at Home Depot? Got $20 for Xmas gift certificate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2004, 05:31 AM

They have 1/4" white plastic sliding door tracks there that you might be interested in, you could always use 1/8" glass in one part of the track if you are looking to use thinner glass. The run about $10 for a 6 ft piece (top and bottom)
Old 12-28-2004, 05:40 AM

my doors are the "front door" style, the hinges on the side. It ain't bad, I even put door knobs on. The real problem is when the frogs jump on the glass, and I have to open the tank. All they have to do, is lose their footing, and plop onto my floor. Look out, frog round up! :shock: It is a good idea though for bigger frogs.

Both my doors are 1/8". Should I put both of them on the same track side by side? Correct me if I am wrong, but that is how it works? So one slides behind the other?

Old 12-28-2004, 05:43 AM

yup thats correct and with this method there is only a very small gap so it works well, i used this method when i built a multi unit enclosure for my leopard geckos.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:38 PM

Is there another alternative that's "tighter?" I like the sound of your suggestion still. Do you have any kind of lock on the door?
Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 PM

you could use a display case lock but i really dont think its necessary if you make sure you close it. Like i said i use this with leopard geckos which are much stronger than darts by far and they dont even open the doors when the scratch at them.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:55 AM

I like locks on my tanks, as any visitor with little kids is bound to try and "touch" the frogs, especially my little buddy from church who absolutely LOVES frogs. :lol: I guarantee little Gerard will grow up to be a herpetologist, he loves frogs, snakes, and turtles. Too young for an aquarium though!

That was the only way I could keep the door shut on my swing door, the lock. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find them today, it takes forever to look through Home Depot, especially when you can't find help. :roll:
Old 12-31-2004, 01:33 AM

Im not sure they have them there at home depot, ill take a look online and se if i can find a good site.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:40 AM

heres a site i found http://www.securitybase.com/Web_stor...ks&no_search=Y if you want to find some more just do a google search for "showcase locks" and you should get a bunch of results.