Dendroboard banner

Thinning silicone for background application

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  oldlady25715 
#1 ·
Hello,

Firstly, apologies if this has been discussion. The search function doesn't seem to be working with this particular topic.

Is it safe to use Xylene to thin the viscosity of silicone in an effort to give it a more pliable form for large scale vivarium backgrounds?

I normally use titebond, zoo med, and forest floor...Its a much preferred method, and the backgrounds turn out great.

However, with a 4'x3'x2' vivarium that is multi-tiered it will take months to finish with the titebond method.

Has anyone ever thinned silicone to apply across a background with peat moss and other material?

Thank you all in advance,
DDF

#3 ·
Thanks!

I've seen the method of thinning Toluene/Xylene for vines, and would like to use that same process with this viv.

What's the average vent time to let this stuff air out? I've worked with solvents and other chems before...and I cant imagine using it anywhere near a fragile dartfrog.

#5 ·
Pimilio, that's some incredible bookmarking skill...I'd have never remembered that thread from 2011.

I haven't used silicone before, but I have tons of black aquarium silicone and two large bags of Zoo Med Eco Earth.

Looks like I'll need to add a gas mask to the list, cause this is gonna an odoriferous affair.

Cheers,
DDF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.