02-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New build, lots of questions...
Started a build on my 24x18x18 exo terra, while this isn't my first build, it will be my first "highly involved" build. I have not decided on a species for the tank yet, still working on basic layout. All I do know is that I plan on having a drip wall, possibly a water feature and I'd like it heavily planted, moss, lichens, broms, etc.
The rear of the tank will be drilled out for a bulkhead (I will not do this until I'm sure of my build direction). This will allow all me to drain the excess water, attach a pump, etc. I already have 1/4" tubing and was hoping to get between 6-8 drip locations. I want everything involving water except the tubing to be external.
So here's my list of questions
1. False bottom or traditional drainage layer?
2. Best manifold, pump, drip valve combo?
3. Fans, internal or external mount?
4. If false bottom, will adding a water feature such as a pond, potentially be hazardous to any darts? I've always worried about that.
5. Is there a need to add extra ventilation screen to the top or will the one below the doors be enough for air exchange?
6. Benefits of heating the drip wall water and should this be do inline or in tank? Then, what heater?
7. Stand offs for the egg crate background, benefits/disadvantages?
8. Is there anything I'm overlooking that could cause me a potential problem down the road?
I want this to be a display tank, I don't mind the maintenance, but would like like to have to open the tank as little as possible. I would like to be able to have isopods, springtails, etc thrive as well to help with the overall upkeep. The background will be GS, Cork, silicone, ecoearth, etc build on eggcrate light diffuser. I chose ABG mix for the soil.
Any information on this would be helpful and much appreciated.