Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Default First build, need some help with the background

Hey everyone,

first time poster here, although this forum is mostly whom I have to thank for getting me into the hobby
I've been dropping by every so often to drool over the vivs, plants and frogs while getting the parts ready and finally dived into it last week. Also youtube, way too much youtube

I'm from all the way across the pond, a small country that goes by the name of Croatia. I think I'm about to bring the frogger count up to 5 or so Needless to say, I don't really have anyone to ask locally so I figured I'd ask here.

The tank is a large/tall exo terra (90x45x60cm), with the compact top and 4x 23w 6500k cfl bulbs.

Most of the build materials

(ended up using eggrate over the leca and the fogger is now out of the picture upon further studying but that's mostly it)

After sleeping over it I ended up with a small slope and a a tiny water area on the right side (just below that branch on the next pic) where I plan on growing some anubias or echinodorus emersed and maybe some floating plants (as well as a better better placement of the mangroves but you get the idea).

Since I'd like the mangroves to be the centerpiece I figured that instead of using great stuff for the background I'd get away with using the original background and simply coating it with silicone and some chipped bark. So I cut it down to size, allowing for the false bottom and access to the water heater and pump, foamed some branches into the corners and went ahead with silicone the next day, after the foam had properly cured.

Here I am two days later wondering if I should throw the thing out and start over

I coated everything with black silicone (I did one half at a time since that's a lot of surface area to work with), smeared it all over and covered it with bark (exo terra jungle earth and some larger jbl stuff) and some orchid mix (coco fibers, bark, peat and sand). Hindsight being 20/20 I'm thinking the orchid mix was just moist enough for it not to stick to the silicone properly.
To make things worse, after all was said and done I noticed the silicone was a couple months past the expiry date (although it did cure for the most part so I'm hoping it's fine? Kinda why I'm here haha).

It's kinda hard to explain how it turned out. The bark is obviously sticking to the background; I can run my fingers over it and it's fine for the most part, but if I apply a small amount of pressure, like trying to scrape it off, bits and pieces here and there tend to fall out. I'm worried that with the frogs climbing all over it will result in a slab of silicone down the road (although it's not all THAT crumbly) xD

Basically here's the worst offending area zoomed in close:

So yeah, will I be okay just retouching the bald spots with a fresh coat of (fresh) silicone and covering it with the even drier mix or should I scrap this altogether and just use foam to begin with? Or am I just being a paranoid ocd freak and it's already fine since you really can't tell anything unless you're shining a flashlight into it and staring at it from a foot away.

Any input would be much appreciated, cheers!

Last edited by Jasper; 02-08-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 05:33 PM

Default Re: First build, need some help with the background

Nothing is perfect your first try...that's why I always recommend using a test bed. A project you can just toss if you don't like...a chainsaw vivarium so to speak.

That being said two things. Fresh silicone doesn't stick to cured silicone...it will adhere to the chunks of material but not the silicone.

And two once planted a lot will disappear anyways.

Learn from this and move on...you have a ton to learn just getting plants and stabilizing the vivarium. Start planting and finish learning before starting over.

The plants and frog won't care what it looks like.

Cheers
Dendrobates l Ranitomeya
Old 02-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Default Re: First build, need some help with the background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighurt View Post
Nothing is perfect your first try...that's why I always recommend using a test bed. A project you can just toss if you don't like...a chainsaw vivarium so to speak.
This kind of is my test bed I did the background outside the viv and it's not siliconed to the glass yet.

Quote:
That being said two things. Fresh silicone doesn't stick to cured silicone...it will adhere to the chunks of material but not the silicone.

And two once planted a lot will disappear anyways.
That's what I'm hoping for, just worried that it's gonna chip apart with the frogs climbing over it, hopefully that won't be their favorite activity then

Suppose I could always let Ficus pumila or something take over haha.

Quote:
Learn from this and move on...you have a ton to learn just getting plants and stabilizing the vivarium. Start planting and finish learning before starting over.

The plants and frog won't care what it looks like.

Cheers
Yeah I can't wait to start planting. Had some plants shipped in from Holland already and I plan on making another order (or two) over the next few weeks.
Got me some mini Neos, a Biophytum, and some Marcgravia so far.

I'd really like to get more of these "niche" plants but it's such a pain finding places that actually stock them, let alone ship them across the eu. But that's another can of worms. I'll get there