Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Default Piviot/Swivel/Rotating mount for 60mm Case fans

I posted about a week ago regarding wiring help for my up coming ventilation/air circulation endeavor. Now I am looking for cost effective ways to mount my four 60mm fans. What I would really like to do is use something similar to the deluxe mistking assemblies and cannabalize them for parts. I would detatch the tubing connections and the sprayer head, leaving only the circular base as a site for attachment to the glass lid of my tank then attach the fan to the nozzle end, leaving me the abbility to direct my air flow in any dirrection I choose. I google for litterally hours yesterday looking for parts similar to those set up and came up with nothing... Know where to find them or something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Piviot/Swivel/Rotating mount for 60mm Case fans

I don't have a perfect answer, but...

I originally had my fan mounted internally with a 12 gage insulated copper wire. I attached it to the fan through the screw holes and a little hot glue, and I mounted the straw from a Great Stuff can inside the viv in a corner, so I could slip the end of the wire inside. It was simple, removable, and fully adjustable.

Eventually I decided two things: 1) There is usually an optimal position for the fan, so having it adjustable is not necessary, and 2) seeing a fan inside is ugly.

So, on my second viv, I secured a clear fan in place permanently, and in the first one, I removed the fan from the inside and mounted it in the canopy, kinda like Pigface did in his vert build.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzen
I don't have a perfect answer, but...

I originally had my fan mounted internally with a 12 gage insulated copper wire. I attached it to the fan through the screw holes and a little hot glue, and I mounted the straw from a Great Stuff can inside the viv in a corner, so I could slip the end of the wire inside. It was simple, removable, and fully adjustable.

Eventually I decided two things: 1) There is usually an optimal position for the fan, so having it adjustable is not necessary, and 2) seeing a fan inside is ugly.

So, on my second viv, I secured a clear fan in place permanently, and in the first one, I removed the fan from the inside and mounted it in the canopy, kinda like Pigface did in his vert build.

I ordered my parts earlier this week, so I will get around to finalizing this project at some point in the next couple weeks. I will post a thread about the process with photos, because I think I have come up with a pretty cool solution to my situation. Stay tuned!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:28 PM

Here is an update on my aircirrculation/ventilation problem solving process. I had previously been using an external air pump with air line tubing to provide ventilation to my 60 gallon tank. You can see that here: member-s-frogs-vivariums/topic26035.html Problems I perceived with this set up were: 1) The pump didn't clear the glass completely, so I was never pleased with the results 2) The pump was bringing in external non-humidified air which was tempature dependant on the temp in my loft. Consequently, the top of the tank was very dry impairing plant growth 3) The previous set up didn't "dry" the bottom of the tank adiquetly leaving the bottom of the tank rather wet and soggy.

Here is what I am now running
4-60mm ADDA waterproof fans
Supplied by a 3-12v variable DC outlet converter from radioshack
Mounted on 1/4" Loc-Line a fully adjustable piping system used in the reef hobby and CNC tools

Here are some photos of the installation process:

Extending the hole of the previous airline vent with a grinding bit,

Fan attached with zip ties to the fan grill glued to flexible arm, with wires running internally

Center set up, two fans with arms attached to the Y fitting with wiring traveling inside to threaded mounting piece

Here are the fans running on 15min per hour timer, not clearing the glass like I would have liked, not sure how I could adjust them to work better. Maybe a longer run cycle, maybe this tank is impossible to keep the glass clear...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:43 AM

My guess is that the air pump you was using was pumping in hot air, those pumps get warm. I add outside air and has little impact on the humidity, and does a good job of keeping the top layer of substrate dryer. I came up with this before finding this site.

I know it's a generic set up, but clears glass quickly before I get up. Its a fan taped onto a box with two holes drilled into the box and the tubes into top of viv. Most of the air is blowed back out of the box. The air flow must not be too much 'cause their are a few ff's in the "box" (it's been running for over a year).

You only have one hole near the front of the glass. Try putting one tube in aiming down the glass and I'm sure you got a sacraficable piece of glad/tupperware container. Don't make nothing pretty, just see if it will help you situation.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:46 AM

Of course it only runs when lights are on.