Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 01:46 PM

Default Current Satellite LED Plus Questions

I have recently made a 20 gallon high vivarium (no plants yet) and I was wondering about lighting. Would one 24" Current Satellite LED Plus work well for a 20 gallon high viv? Would it color up any broms I put in or would it just keep them green? I've had no experience with Current lights so I have no idea what to expect. Also I know that there are pre programmed effects, can those be timed or do they have to be manually turned on? I've used the search function but the threads on current lights are a few years old and I didn't know if the lights had been changed. Here's the tank as of right now:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2016, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Current Satellite LED Plus Questions

what light do you have in your hand now?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Luke -

I have a 36" Current Satellite+ Pro on my 100g Exo Terra, and it works very well. I've mentioned in a few posts about the light that for this tank, I could probably stand to have 2 of the light units, but the one still works very well. I've seen excellent plant growth from all areas of the tank... even at the bottom. My broms up high stay pretty well colored - I think they might color up more with another light, but they definitely didn't lose color or revert back to green. The Neo. Donger at the bottom right is pretty green, but it's also pretty low. It still retained some pink to it, so I'm sure if I moved it higher up it would color back up.

The lighting effects are fun... BUT, they are manual. At least out of the box. I've heard of someone being able to theoretically program it, but I haven't the slightest clue how. I just use the remote when someone comes over to change to a more "dynamic" setting... just for show. It has a 15 min sunrise/sunset ramp. So if you have it set from 7am - 7pm, it will start ramping up at 6:45 and then ramp down from 7-7:15. It has a moonlight setting, so mine runs 24/7. The colors are easily programmable too. All in all, it's very user friendly.

Here's a pic of the tank. Planted about 4.5 months with only the single light. I would recommend it.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy_skibum View Post
what light do you have in your hand now?

It's just a cheap UVB fluorescent for reptiles, the pictures make it look brighter than it is

Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs.JP View Post
Luke -

I have a 36" Current Satellite+ Pro on my 100g Exo Terra, and it works very well. I've mentioned in a few posts about the light that for this tank, I could probably stand to have 2 of the light units, but the one still works very well. I've seen excellent plant growth from all areas of the tank... even at the bottom. My broms up high stay pretty well colored - I think they might color up more with another light, but they definitely didn't lose color or revert back to green. The Neo. Donger at the bottom right is pretty green, but it's also pretty low. It still retained some pink to it, so I'm sure if I moved it higher up it would color back up.

The lighting effects are fun... BUT, they are manual. At least out of the box. I've heard of someone being able to theoretically program it, but I haven't the slightest clue how. I just use the remote when someone comes over to change to a more "dynamic" setting... just for show. It has a 15 min sunrise/sunset ramp. So if you have it set from 7am - 7pm, it will start ramping up at 6:45 and then ramp down from 7-7:15. It has a moonlight setting, so mine runs 24/7. The colors are easily programmable too. All in all, it's very user friendly.

Here's a pic of the tank. Planted about 4.5 months with only the single light. I would recommend it.

Thanks so much (I followed the build on your tank, must've missed out on the lighting part), is there a huge difference between the led+ and the led+ pro? And I assume the morning/evening effects are manual as well?

Old 12-16-2016, 03:24 AM

I ended up ordering the light, we'll see how it goes

Old 12-16-2016, 05:35 AM

i have broms color up under walmart flouresents i think you should be a ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny For This Useful Post:
Lake (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
Thanks so much (I followed the build on your tank, must've missed out on the lighting part), is there a huge difference between the led+ and the led+ pro? And I assume the morning/evening effects are manual as well?

Sorry Luke, I missed this before you purchased the light. The sunrise/sunset ramping is automatic. It's got a built in timer, so you just program how long you want the "daylight" setting and then it will automatically ramp up and down between your daylight and moonlight times. It's easy to program.

I never had the earlier version, but from what I read from the manuf., the +Pro is about 2x as much light output.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs.JP View Post
Sorry Luke, I missed this before you purchased the light. The sunrise/sunset ramping is automatic. It's got a built in timer, so you just program how long you want the "daylight" setting and then it will automatically ramp up and down between your daylight and moonlight times. It's easy to program.

I never had the earlier version, but from what I read from the manuf., the +Pro is about 2x as much light output.

Thanks, I did order the light from neherp but they have since told me that it was out of stock and won't be back for 2 weeks, and I have already ordered plants so sadly I'll have to order from another website as much as I like supporting neherp

Old 12-17-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake View Post
Thanks, I did order the light from neherp but they have since told me that it was out of stock and won't be back for 2 weeks, and I have already ordered plants so sadly I'll have to order from another website as much as I like supporting neherp
Yeah, I love NEHerp as well. But, bought mine from Amazon
Old 12-19-2016, 05:31 PM

I have a LED+ on my plant grow out tank right now and it has been working great for me. I've only had it for about a month so far but so far all my plants under it are showing great growth and keeping color. I don't have any broms under it yet though so I'm not sure how well they will hold color under it. I purchased mine from a local fish store here and asked a few questions, the biggest difference between the led+ and the led+ pro I think is the timer modes on the pro. The led+ is all manual control. I'm not sure of any wattage difference between the two though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Krakkin For This Useful Post:
Lake (12-25-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 10:16 PM

The light arrived and so far I am pleased with how bright it is as well as the customization of the different colors. Thanks to all who gave me info on the light

Gibbs.JP likes this.