Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 04:08 PM

Default 36"x36"x36" display, opinions?

I think I've decided I want my big project to be a cube rather than the 5'x3'x3' I had originally planned. I need opinions on this size, I would also like input on whether or not I can use two Finnex 24/7s and get enough light to the bottom. I want my day and night cycle to be beautiful without extra spotlights throwing off the ramp up/down. I figure a few arboreal thumbs+ a few tincs would be acceptable for a setup this size. There will be PLENTY of cracks, crevices, ledges and hidey-holes for the frogs to escape to. Some input would be useful! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 06:20 PM

Default Re: 36"x36"x36" display, opinions?

A beautiful dawn and dusk light cycle sounds pretty important to you so you should know that those lights might not be for you.

Most of the dawn dusk lights that are on the market have a built in 15 min ramp up (dawn) and ramp down (dusk) for these two moments of the day. This includes, Finnex, Satellite, Ecoexotic and Planted Plus. If there are others they are all using the same design and technology.

What this means is that once dawn hits at the specific time of your choice it slowly and uniformly transitions from whatever your night time setting is to what your daytime setting is. Thats a long time for a transition and it is imperceptible. No new lights are added to the mix for extra effect or anything.

The only way you can see the difference is by walking away, for lets say, 5 min and coming back and then you can perceive a difference. But this difference is only brighter or darker depending on the time of day. In other words it sucks in terms of visual impact and is pretty useless aside from the smooth transitions for your animals.

I found this out after I bought one for my second tank. My first tank has the Jungle Hobbies lights. They are expensive but definitely worth it for many reasons.

One of which is that all 5 different settings for times of the day (dawn, sunrise, daytime, sunset, nighttime) are completely programmable in terms of intensity of the lights, colors used and most importantly duration of each setting. You can make them last a couple minutes or hours long.

The lights ramp into each setting smoothly but this is perceptible and takes something like 30 secs maybe a little less. This way you can truly customize what your viv looks like during say dusk and dawn. If you get 2 lights you can do even more interesting effects.

I knew the light I was getting wasn’t going to be on the same level as the jungle hobbies but I had no idea that their idea of a dusk and dawn was an imperceptible ramp up and down without the addition of any of the colors that you would expect to see during these times of day.

Might be worth it too you for a big build like this since you won’t need to add any other supplemental lights (I did add some for night time but its not necessary) You could use one Finnex and one Jungle Hobbies.

Also, I would do a custom tank like a Sherman or Folius. Technically you have to because of the cube dimensions but you could go with the Exo that is 36x18x36 if you had to.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:23 PM

I have a 30"x30"x25"H and 2 Finnex Planted+ is barely enough to get to the bottom. There is a ton of bright light in the upper half and I've had to put some screen directly over a couple plants due to too much light.
That being said, I absolutely love the dimensions of this tank and I had a lot of fun putting it together. I used a shelf system to separate an upper and lower section and used wood to break up lines of sight. Here's the link to mine - http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-gal-cube.html

Old 08-11-2016, 10:15 PM

Lokira, if you are serious about having a sunset/sunrise cycle with respective color temperatures, cloud & storm cycles, etc. I suggest you look at the LedZeal fixtures for aquariums.

I have a malibu s400 for my 125g and I couldn't be happier. The fixtures have 4 independent channels of totally customizable color temp 3W LEDs. You control the timers on all 4 so for example I run very red/blue in the mornings and evening to get that warm glow, and ramp up my 7000k diodes in the middle of the day. Very smooth operation, I don't even notice it ramping up or down.

The S200 fixture is 36" long, which would be nice for your tank.

Those dimensions aren't very popular with planted tanks, but look at the reefers, the do some very nice things with cubes that you might want to draw from.

Exciting, I love cube tanks!
Old 08-12-2016, 04:10 AM

I don't plan on disclosing my design just yet, but I'm building the tank myself for the most ease. I need access to every square inch and 3 feet is a long way to reach around branches and plants. There will be six doors. Two of which will be small for dropping flies.

I'm also trying to keep this on the less expensive side, so $100 on each light is about where I want to be. I'm adding a sump, a small drip wall and the bottom 6-7 inches will be aquarium. I'm thinking I'll just scrap the light ramp, I'd rather have healthy, happy plants. I want to bring the best out of every living thing in my enclosure. And having 7 inches of water where the light will already be low, MIGHT suck without a few nice spotlight leds.

I have the 9" finnex planted cliplight and a repti glow 5.0 on my ten gallon, my mini orchid's leaves turned the prettiest pinkish purple in two days. I've been leaving my 4cm fan going for the whole 14 hours my lights stay on. Then it turns off at night to allow the "morning dew " condensation to build up.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:55 PM

A 36"x36"x36" viv would be spectacular. But, if you ever plan on moving, make sure you can get it through your doors...
Encyclia, Gibbs.JP and zachmaynard like this.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:41 PM

I like cube tanks in general and think that your 36 inch cube could be a great size. my rule for lighting vivs with decently efficient leds is to use one watt per gallon. I know it seems like an archaic rule but it has let me grow whatever I want in all the vivs I have made. I would aim for around 200 watts of lighting over that size viv and think that 5 40 watt arrays with a decent reflector would give good coverage. if you try to use too few sources you end up with odd shadowing. the new high cri emitters from yuji or the vero decora line will be high on the list when I change my lighting from t5ho in the next couple years.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiata View Post
A 36"x36"x36" viv would be spectacular. But, if you ever plan on moving, make sure you can get it through your doors...
^^ Very much this. Standard residential doors are 30" and lower. Even if you take out the door and jamb, your rough opening still might not be 36".

You'd basically have to build the tank in the room you want to display it. Unless of course you have a large sliding door in the room it will be kept.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:37 AM

I plan on building it in a living room after my boyfriend and I move into a new home. If I have to leave, I'll just have to take it down and break down the whole tank. That's if there isn't a door wide enough. If I'm lucky enough to have sliding doors, I should be good to go. I plan on my background being similar to an exoterra. I will use a sheet of foam that fits snug with a thin bead of silicone around the edges. So all I'll have to do is remove whatever plants that are in the way and just razor the the edges and slide it out. The whole process of breaking it down will probably still suck but I'm hoping to make it easier just in case.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:38 AM

As for my lighting, I'm thinking three evos
Old 08-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Maybe only two. I'm just worried about it not spreading across the tank. I know too much light will burn all my plants.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:05 PM

IMHO the most reasonable priced balanced option would be to purchase 4 of these and spread them out evenly across the top. Looking at about $270

This is also the most flexible option because if you have a problem with lack of light you can buy more and add them in. Either the same fixture or 180 degree optics fixtures to supplement with not too much added cost.

Last edited by Pubfiction; 08-19-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:49 AM

I need lights that will guaranteed penetrate all the way to the bottom, no dark spots and no dry, bare and dead canopy. And this is gonna be a centerpiece in my living room. Four lights over the top is just so many. I couldn't easily access the top for feeding. Just not sure yet. I've been looking up reviews and pictures of how different lights work on a 36 tall.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:48 AM

If you have less than 4 lights you are going to have dark spots.

So you have two choices

2x quad (this one will save you about 2 inches and be less complicated with only 2 lights)

or 4 x dual (this one will spread your light out more evenly and give you more flexibility to arrange the lights)

If you venture outside of those 2 choices I expect your costs will go up quite a bit. Also if you have a hood that can accommodate about 37 inches you can jump up to the 36 inch models.

Alternatively it may be much easier for people to help if we have a drawing of the design/dimensions of the top of this vivarium.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:00 AM

If it were me I would do 3 evo quad 36" and raise them up slightly with a hanging kit or just prop them up a little above the tank to improve the spread. It seems like you want this to really be a masterpiece of a display and in my opinion having as much light as possible is the key to an awesome looking tank. I have never really had issues with burning plants despite way over lighting some of my vivs. When exposed to more light many plants especially bromeliads will not usually burn but instead adapt to the higher light conditions by producing more anthocyanin pigment which is desireable because you end up with tons of bright red, pink, and purple colored foliage. 2-3 watts per gallon or 100 lumens per gallon for LEDs are the rules that I follow and have worked for me over the years to produce the best growth and color. A 36" inch cube is equivalent to about 200 gallons so 3 evo quad 36" would give you around 2 watts per gallon/ 100 lumens per gallon.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:02 PM

I think three evo quads is the way I want to go. I've got my design partially done, just adding the textures and whatnot. I've been sick this week, so I haven't done much with the actual drawing part. Been mostly laying in bed looking around at everyone's opinion/knowledge.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:31 PM

I have quite a bit of light over my ten gallon but my older broms are losing leaves slowly, the young ones are just gorgeous striped red and pink. Not sure why. It's my first vivarium. I've had it for about four months.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:07 AM

I have the actual drawing for the glass design done, will upload in the morning.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:02 PM

I set up a go fund me for this tank as well as another tank that I hope to donate to my local middle/high school. Hopefully this will bring an interest to the hobby and bring in a small job market for vivariums near me.

gofundme.com/26kqtsms

I will be keeping a full video log of every step in the build process and all info on literally every aspect of the build. Including all the glass work, drainage, misting, timers, lights, plants, you name it, it'll be there. I'll be as detailed as possible without being entirely boring.

Any amount helps, thank you!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 PM

I understand a go fund me for the middle school tank but it is inappropriate to "bundle" in the tank that will be the centerpiece of your living room. Do you disclose what % of funds will be spent on each tank and a promise date for the delivery of the middle school tank? If not it seems like a covienent way to get people to pay for you to play under the guise of helping out a school. As an x teacher, funds are short enough as is, create two separate accounts, one for each purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokirathehunter View Post
I set up a go fund me for this tank as well as another tank that I hope to donate to my local middle/high school. Hopefully this will bring an interest to the hobby and bring in a small job market for vivariums near me.

gofundme.com/26kqtsms

I will be keeping a full video log of every step in the build process and all info on literally every aspect of the build. Including all the glass work, drainage, misting, timers, lights, plants, you name it, it'll be there. I'll be as detailed as possible without being entirely boring.

Any amount helps, thank you!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:22 PM

If you read the info it's clear what my actual plan is. To kick start myself into getting trust to build quality vivariums. It's to make a job market in my area for vivariums. Yes, i will in turn have a new vivarium but not something i will be keeping. Maybe i worded it wrong. I'm am awful writer -.-
Old 08-26-2016, 05:24 PM

My boyfriend suggested i set up a go fund me to make this vivarium, then donate it. But i haven't even had a chance to talk to the school yet, i only contacted a few teachers on Facebook about building them a vivarium for the school a few months ago.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:26 PM

The go fund me was made last night very late and i was half asleep, so i guess i didn't include quite a bit.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:33 PM

you are looking for investors, fair enough but leave public schools/kids/zoos out of it. Just say what it is, you want to build a vivarium in your living room for your benefit in hopes of one day starting your own business. Having run several charity's in the past it would be difficult to prove that you are not missapropiating funds which can get you in a boat load of legal issues.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:39 PM

I would be keeping the vivarium for about six months after completion to ensure mold is gone, plants are thriving, misting and lighting is all set and everything is running well, then i would donate the entire setup, timers, misting system, stand, sump, lights, and all inhabitants to the school. Show the teachers and students how to care for them and the whole process along the way with the videos.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:53 PM

Like I said, leave the school out of it. Having been a teacher, there is not 36x36" inches of space in any classroom that can be spared. Not to mention it is not appropriate for a school, they cut air/heat during the holidays and there is no easy way to move a tank that size. Who would care for them over the summer? If you are serious about donating, talk to the schools first, not a teacher the principal. I assure you will get nays across the board for a tank that size or any tank housing potentially posionus animals. I know they lose their posion in captivity but tell that to the parents of the first kid who gets sick after they were around it. You may or may not have good intentions with this but regardless it is a bad idea and not legal at this point. If you collect funds you need to be blazingley clear about what they will be used for.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:45 PM
TWI/ASN

You really need to mockup a Viv of those dimensions first. That takes up a great deal of space. I'm currently building a 36" x 24" x 48" for someone, mentally you go "awesome" when you see the materials you go OMG!
Gibbs.JP likes this.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:14 AM

^^Agreed. Don't want to be mean but your plan is kind of nuts. All issues of money/ funding aside a 36" cube is really a pretty massive tank. It's definitely not something that can just be picked up and moved. Something like this you are going to want to put in its finally resting position and build it there. I built a 36"X24"X48" cage for some basilisks out of wood and screen and even being on wheels this thing is not something that I can move easily. I can imagine the weight of something similar in size built out of glass and filled with wood and plants. It would be both incredibly heavy and clumsy to move. If you want to build something this size that will be permanent in your living room then go for it. If you want to build something that can be moved to a school or whatever I think it would be best to choose a more manageable project.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:41 AM

My tank is 30x40x22h and empty weighs about 250lbs. I have build everything outside the tank and retrofit things into it, I can't even flip it on it's back. 36' cube would be worse.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:26 AM

Good point, i think I'm just gonna scrap the whole idea.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:39 PM

The go fund me has been changed.

https://www.gofundme.com/26kqtsms
Old 08-27-2016, 04:44 PM

I'm done doing what people suggest, every time i do, someone has a problem with it and I look bad. The go fund me is gone the one donation I got is being returned.

Last edited by Lokirathehunter; 08-27-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:04 PM

You just went about it the wrong way. Your end goal to donate your tank would have been an awesome gesture but you did not think about the end user. So when you say you want a 36" cube people started to get suspicious. Not very many schools have that much storage room and it will be difficult to relocate. Also no one really believes that you will keep the tank for 6 months and then donate as you said yourself you didn't really know where to donate it to. 3k is a lot of money and people get thrown off when you can't answer some of the basic questions.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:42 PM

I'm just surprised that here, on this forum where I've always felt really comfortable, that people would think i had ill intentions. I change details frequently when i find a problem or if it's just more trouble than its worth. Having other frog and vivarium lovers against me is not where i want to go. So I'll just wait until i know how to word everything properly before i start this back up.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:48 PM

It's tough to get a career designing vivariums and stuff like that professionally. Don't Be dissuaded if that's what you really want to do. But something like that really nice 15 gallon setup you did, that could be taken home for the summer, would be good for school kids. Something like your proposal here would go in a zoo, botanical garden, or at a university.
TheCoop likes this.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:20 PM

I hadn't figured out exactly who i would donate it to. And it's better if i wait until i know every detail before attempting to ask for donations. It wasn't to be selfish, i hadn't 100% decided on the donations being for this tank but i put it as a possibility in case i ever used some of the materials in a later build for myself. I need to find a good writer for something like this.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:15 PM
TWI/ASN

I am 100% self funded. Even donated Vivariums come out of my pocket. It's nice to dream but you also need to be realistic.
Gibbs.JP likes this.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:44 PM

There's people who get money to buy themselves a new car. Asking for donations for science/nature seem much more realistic than THAT.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:15 AM
TWI/ASN

You mam are not a scientist. A loan for a car is a personal debt, your logic is screwed. If you want to impress people fund the project yourself. Would impress me...
KP3 likes this.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:50 AM

Donating a fully functioning vivarium to a school isn't screwed up logic. I don't understand why everyone here on dendroboard has an issue with my idea. Every person around my town thought it was a great idea. It wasn't a problem until i tried to get the forum as excited as i was. But no, the only thing that happened was you trying to crush my idea and making it seem like i have some sort of mental problem for thinking it was a good idea.

Last edited by Lokirathehunter; 09-04-2016 at 01:53 AM.