Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Default What supplies are needed for background

I am going to Home Depot today to get the supplies for the background and false bottom to begin constructing the 75g tank. I want to give the foam another try so I plan on getting 3 cans of pond foam, some plants, substrate, egg crate, pvc, silicone and some tool to spread the silicone with. Can someone give me the name or brand of silicone that you use? The silicone I used last time was the kind in a tube that you spread with a caulk gun. Also what tool do you use to spread the silicone? A paint brush of some sort?
Candy
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Re: What supplies are needed for background

Alot of people use the GE silicone II. Honestly though, any 100% silicone will work. Just avoid anything that has mold inhibitors. If it says it's for bathrooms and showers, don't use it. 100% silicone is pretty easy to find though. As far as spreading it, i used a trow (sp) to spread it on back of tank before applying GS... but it was still hard to spread. I've heard of people using brushes, just cut the bristtels real short to make it stiffer... haven't tried that though.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 PM

One other question. What do you guys prefer to use on your background to cover the foam and silicone the best? I used the sheet of cocofiber the last time but the frogs don't seem to like it or be able to climb on it that well.
Candy

Old 05-10-2008, 04:57 PM

100% silicone, yes. But my experience has been that the acetic acid type takes a while for th GS to vent the acidic odor. I use the GE II (brown, because bare spots don't show as easily) for backgrounds now. It has a different curing agent and doesn't leave your GS smelling like vinegar for weeks.

Depending on what type of frogs you have, they may not be good climbers, so I wouldn't worry about that (trust me, good climbers can get where they want to be). Coco fiber (from coco bricks) covers it nicely, just make sure the fiber is 100% dry or it won't stick, period (do a search on coco fiber and oven for a nice drying method). I just drop on a bunch of silicone, hand spread it (with a disposable plastic glove on), then spread coco fiber on that section and press it in. If you don't press on it you'll be surprised how much *doesn't* stick. Lay it on thick and press on it to embed it. Do a section at a time - if the silicone starts to skin it's game-over.. nothing will stick at that point. Practice on something to get a feel for it; maybe even put 12" x 12" of foam on a piece of scrap wood and get a feel for the process and curing/drying times before you start the tank. Remember.. as with most things, "the first time is just rehearsal" - it's easier if that's on something disposable. :wink:

Those are my experiences. You're mileage may differ.

parts-construction/topic18135.html#p135126

beginner-discussion/topic18357.html