Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 10:26 PM

Default JBJ K-2 Viper 150W HQI Clamp on Lamp for a 65g?

Would one JBJ K-2 Viper 150W HQI Clamp on Lamp be enough for a 3' x 18" x 2' tank?
The person who has it(them, has two) had them over a 6' tank so I'm thinking one could cover the 3' length of the tank but I'm not sure about heat or if it wouldn't be the right level of light.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 11:22 PM

Default Re: JBJ K-2 Viper 150W HQI Clamp on Lamp for a 65g?

One thing I was thinking with this is that I could put it on one side instead of the middle so that higher light plants could be closer to the light (maybe with a thin screen area for airing out) and there would be more of a temp gradient that way, what do you guys think?
Old 04-13-2008, 01:46 PM

It is a very good light. You didn't mention the temperature thought. If memory serves the HQI's run 10 or 20K. 10K is crisp white and will look nice, 20K is way too blue in my opinion. It will still grow plants but the look will be un-natural. HQI's (all halides actually) run hot so you will need to take that into account. Additionally, you will need to have lots of hides to protect your frogs from the UV. Broms and higher light loving plants will be very happy with this light.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:48 PM

The guy I am buying them from (other member of a regional planted tank group) forgot what temp the bulbs are but I can get replacement bulbs at some point through group buys they do. For now I'll hope they are the 10k since he had them over a planted tank.
Also, for heat I was thinking of making a super weird "base/background" piece behind the tank that would be taller than the tank that the light could clip on... make it kind of funky and different... not sure yet though. What height do you think would be good above the tank for decent lighting but also to help with the heat? I might mount a fan into the "background" if I do that so the fan blows the heat off the top of the tank, I'm really not sure yet.
Also, you mentioned the UV which makes sense as I hear it is very strong. Doesn't the glass shield of the light block that? Or does it not block enough? I thought glass blocks uv rays (or is it just uvb) which is why you aren't supposed to have a glass tank lid between reptiles that need uvb and their lights.

Thank you for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI_GUY
It is a very good light. You didn't mention the temperature thought. If memory serves the HQI's run 10 or 20K. 10K is crisp white and will look nice, 20K is way too blue in my opinion. It will still grow plants but the look will be un-natural. HQI's (all halides actually) run hot so you will need to take that into account. Additionally, you will need to have lots of hides to protect your frogs from the UV. Broms and higher light loving plants will be very happy with this light.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:24 PM

Ok, the bulb is an 8k Astrolux, fine color for now?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Mod

i would think so, most people here use like 6500k fluorescents... thats what I have over my paludarium and i've been getting great growth thus far
Old 04-18-2008, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that 8k wouldn't be as far off as like 14k, etc.
I have CF setups and use 6500k bulbs but I have a chance at a great deal on a Viper or two soooo... hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carola1155
i would think so, most people here use like 6500k fluorescents... thats what I have over my paludarium and i've been getting great growth thus far