Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 05:15 PM

Default 15H Tank build

This is my first attempt at building a vivarium. The stand and light are DIY jobs built by me which have been used for about 2 years. The old tank was a standard 10 gallon covered in corralline algae so i ditched it. The tank i went with was a 15H (20"x10"x18"). It has the same footprint as a 10 with more height. I really like the proportions of this setup.

The stand is in great shape still. I actually built it on a budget of around $30. I bought the best bundle i could find of pine 1x2's from HD (its like the cheapest wood possible) and some hinges, the little doorknob, grey rustoleum primer and matte black rustoleum (one can of each). The paint looks really funky because i never bothered to sand the wood so the light reflects off of it wierd. I had to clean the entire thing because there was salt allover it, i probably missed so spots but i'm not going for looks with the stand.

The light fixture is a different story. Lets take a look.

The whole thing was really caked with salt, especially the inside. I cleaned it as best i could. The housing is constucted of plywood. There is some severe waer damage to one side of it from years of contact with water. you might've noticed this:

Lets take a closer look at that. in the meantime.. i'm getting more coffee..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Re: 15H Tank build

Very glad the frogs will be getting a new home.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:33 PM

Heres a shot of the business end of the light i guess you can say.

You might notice the outer layers of plywood wood peeling back. Its actually completely falling apart, here are some closeups of the damage.

There are more issues coming to light no pun intended. First an most obvious is that the fixture does not completely cover the top of the tank. This would be easily fixable with a piece of glass cut to size (i can cut glass myself :mrgreen: ) Side to side, it spans the entire tank but it leaves a couple inches front to back. Second, there is nothng blocking frogs or plants from touching the lamps, which get very hot. And third, there is an opening in the top of the fixture where flies would escape constantly. The opening is where the endcap wires for the lamps are run around the back of the reflector. it was tough getting a good picture of the opening.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM

hey aaron, sorry i never got back to you the other day. i did read your PM take your advice though. I read through your build thread and a bunch of other builds as well. I'm starting to formulate ideas but theres more stuff that i can take care of in the meantime.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Basically i've come to the conclusion that i'm going to have to scrap this fixture and build a new canopy. Its just too old and messed up. The good thing is that all 'guts' of the fixture still work really well. So i'll be re-useing almost all of that. I actually have some extra reflectors, basically brand new, that i can use.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:54 PM

Cool.... Yeah an all glass aquarium lid will work fine (best part, no glass cutting) and they are easy to ff proof.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:04 PM

these are from when i first built this stuff. i was trying to use them but because of space i had to go to the double reflector, instead of two single reflectors. Luckily vivariums do not have things that hang on the back of the tank. or do they? ops:

Anyways, i've got a wedding to go to today. Ceremony is in an hour, I'll be back here for a bit and then i'll have to leave agian for the reception. :roll: basically no work can get done today. :x Hopefully i wont be TOO hungover and will be able to get the new canopy built, painted and ready to be fitted by the end of the day tomorrow. :mrgreen:
Old 03-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fish_guy
these are from when i first built this stuff. i was trying to use them but because of space i had to go to the double reflector, instead of two single reflectors. Luckily vivariums do not have things that hang on the back of the tank. or do they? ops:
Not like you would w/ a fish aquarium (filters, co2 systems ect) The only thing that would be going into your aquarium would be plumbing for water features, humidifier, or recirculating air system (all of which are optional) A 10gal glass lid (w/ hinge and plastic strip (that can be cut for plumbing, air, ect) for the back) are very cheap from pet stores, and if you got one ahead of time, it would allow you to design you canopy around the glass lid (so that its functional.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronAcker
Cool.... Yeah an all glass aquarium lid will work fine (best part, no glass cutting) and they are easy to ff proof.
The fixture is old and decrepit but not THAT bad where it wont work for another few years especially if it doesnt get wet. I did think of cutting a large piece of glass for the entire top of the tank and just resting the fixture on top of that. the only problem with that is i'd have to remove the glass and the fixture every time i need to feed the frogs. I want to rig up something to make this easy for me.

i'm assuming you mean the glass hood that comes with the plastic guard for the back part of the tank? i'll have to consider this.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 PM

:lol: i should pay attention to that "post has been made since you started this post" warning. alright i have to get going now. thanks for the suggestions. I've got some time to weigh my options before getting started tomorrow.