No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 07:17 PM

Default Exo terra and humidity

Hello!

I have a couple of questions
I'm almost finished installing exo terra 18x18x24
Lighting: 2 exo terra canopies with 2 bulbs infront repti glo 2.0 25w 6.700K and jungle dawn 9w 6.700K. In the back 2x repti glo 2.0 13W 6.700K.
One low wattage LED blue (moonlight)

A drain layer with mesh on top and a thin layer of jungle earth.

Exo terra monsoon with 3 nozzles 2x a day for about 10-15 seconds each time. Humidity seems to be between 70 and 85. Measured with exo terra analog hygrometer and thermometer (something is wrong with it as it shows +40C no matter where it is )

Couldn't upload pics as they were too big in size

My question is: by placing a glas over the top- will the humidity rise even more? My walls stay pretty dry but not roots or plants If so can I cut holes in the glas so the light won't get filtrated? It seems that there is an airflow as the warm air rises up and gets out of the holes on top of the canopies.
Bromelias have water in their axils and the mos around them is pretty moist but they are not standing in constant water
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.9 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Exo terra and humidity

Sorry, it is going to be a home for D. leucomelas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-15-2016, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Exo terra and humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSakke View Post
My question is: by placing a glas over the top- will the humidity rise even more? My walls stay pretty dry but not roots or plants If so can I cut holes in the glas so the light won't get filtrated? It seems that there is an airflow as the warm air rises up and gets out of the holes on top of the canopies.
Bromelias have water in their axils and the mos around them is pretty moist but they are not standing in constant water
Hi Alex -

Yes, by placing glass on the top it will help keep the moisture and humidity inside the tank. Unless you have internal fans, I think most people would agree that you'll still want some open mesh ventilation on the lid so there can still be passive air flow through the tank (helpful with the Exo Terra vent below the door). I have the same tank and just bought some very inexpensive glass from a hardware store, cut it, and placed it on top of the Exo Terra lid to fit inside the frame, over the mesh. I left about 2" of mesh in front and back for ventilation, and my humidity is almost constantly in the 80% range. I do have a waterfall in my tank that helps keep it humid.

Your tank looks a little dry in the picture so you might want to run the monsoon a little more? If your humidity is in the 70-85% range you should be ok though.