Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Default 30g Hex Tank Journal

Heyla all,

I've finished moving (with the 70g viv no less, but all the plants died in the cold truck), and settled in our new place in Ohio. Moving gave me access to all my old vivarium construction stuff that had been in storage for the last year, so with not much else to do, I pulled out my old 30g hex tank that I'd gotten frustrated with and given up on, and finished it up in a record time (for me) in the last 3 days. At this point all I'm missing is plants and a better light! (and maybe a canopy and misting system if I get ambitious)

So here's some pictures:

This is basically how I left it before I went to CA - pretty bare, with a false bottom and grandiose plans for drilling, waterfalls, and ponds:

This is it today. I ditched the waterfall/pond idea, took out the false bottom and just did hydroton and "Jungle Mix" dirt, with a cocofiber plant basket liner to separate the two a little. The corkbark curls were in storage too, along with the grape vines. There's a peat plant pot behind the cork curl on the left.

Here's another image, with a quarter for scale:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/R ... _scale.jpg

So now to save up for plants and figure out a better lighting solution (are those PC tops designed for the Exo-Terra's pretty good? The local pet store has some, and they look short enough to fit on top of the tank, until I get a canopy built). This will be just plants for the time being, as our current apartment doesn't allow hardly anything but cats, dogs, and birds, and we're too far out in the sticks for much else anyways.

-Redkite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM

Default Re: 30g Hex Tank Journal

looks good so far!!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 AM
TWI/ASN

Loving it! :P

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
-Bill Cosby

Old 03-10-2008, 03:24 AM

Very nice
Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 AM
TWI/ASN

I dig it. I have something in the works that looks very similar (as far as the cork and grapewood combo...I think it's grape wood) for some P. sauvagei, but on a larger scale.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 PM

Alot of Apartment complexs don't like Aquariums because of the potential for floods. I lived in an apartment and had to pay a flood deposit to have my reef tank there. But before I got my reef tank, I had a vivarium and they didn't care because no water was in it.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 AM

Scott: Yeah, these apartments are all groundfloor above a crawlspace, and must be 50years old at the youngest :P They allow fish tanks up to 40g combined total, and don't really care about vivs, but reptiles and amphibians are right out. Some weird insurance thing... plus the landlady is phobic of snakes and thinks they smell (me: uh, what...?).

Thanks for all your replies guys. =) I'll update it again when I start getting plants in, but that might be awhile... in a lull between getting the stipends from grad school, so money is tight at the moment. If anyone's interested in trading plants for art however..... =D

-Redkite
Old 03-12-2008, 03:59 AM

nice start.
so, you could have a cat, dog and a bird? but no frogs? that don't make much sense, does it :?:
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM
TWI/ASN

I know exactly how you feel man. My apartment complex is only 4 years old and they have a strict limit of 30 gallons cumulative with no dogs, cats or anything else. So far, we have a 75 gal reef tank with a cat, dog, octopus, and soon to be frogs and they havent said a thing yet. If you added up the deposit for everything including the frogs, it would be a grand total of $2,000 but somehow we've gotten lucky.... I hope everything turns out for the best for you!