Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 10:27 PM

Default Some questions on fake roots stump and silicone thinning

I have finally started my 120 build I got fake stumps in and foamed up. Now I can find very little info on thinning silicone. Has anyone thinned there silicone to go on easy if so what did u thin it with. An also was it more blotchy so to speak when putting on peat or coco. I have read that thinning causes it to be less sticky. Any pointers from anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Some questions on fake roots stump and silicone thinning

I've seen people use toluene however there is controversy on wether it fully evaporates and is non toxic. Otherwise just use silicone. I haven't done my background yet on my first viv but I am just using silicone.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:15 PM

I heard odorless mineral spirits ? Any thoughts?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:24 AM

I heard that you can thin silicone with Naphtha just look up Silicone caulk mold part 1 and forward video to 8:46 the video is by StiltbeastStudios. He does recommend using gloves as your body will absorb Naphtha through your skin in the liquid form.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:56 PM

I've used Toluene..hard to find because meth addicts use it in processing...it is REALLY strong smelling stuff...am not aware of remaining toxicity and one viv. maker here on DB has used it... Used it outdoors with a strong fan and left it alone for quite a while 'til it lost the smell...The frogs in that viv have been in there for about two years... Was planning to use it again for a viv I didn't finish to soften up the silicone I'd already put in because you can't put more silicone over silicone...won't adhere.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:03 PM

From the EPA:

Hazard Summary-Created in April 1992; Revised in July 2012

Toluene is added to gasoline, used to produce benzene, and used as a solvent. Exposure to toluene may occur from breathing ambient or indoor air affected by such sources. The central nervous system (CNS) is the primary target organ for toluene toxicity in both humans and animals for acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) exposures. CNS dysfunction and narcosis have been frequently observed in humans acutely exposed to elevated airborne levels of toluene; symptoms include fatigue, sleepiness, headaches, and nausea. CNS depression has been reported to occur in chronic abusers exposed to high levels of toluene. Chronic inhalation exposure of humans to toluene also causes irritation of the upper respiratory tract and eyes, sore throat, dizziness, and headache. Human studies have reported developmental effects, such as CNS dysfunction, attention deficits, and minor craniofacial and limb anomalies, in the children of pregnant women exposed to high levels of toluene or mixed solvents by inhalation. EPA has concluded that that there is inadequate information to assess the carcinogenic potential of toluene.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:35 AM

Thanks guys I'm gonna do fake roots outside. Thinning it then putting on foam not got idea seeing I'm in house. I'm not worried about myself but my kids so no go on that
Old 12-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Sponsor

I have thinned silicone with napha and a "dash" of acetone for adhesion with no problems.
But it must dry and out-gas completely.

Cheers.
Todd
[email protected]
Old 12-21-2015, 03:38 PM

the frogs in the vivariums where I used toluene don't seem to have been affected...but then I did not use a huge amount either...and blended it with moss spores and ground spagnum with the silicone.... And I'd do it again..