Old 11-21-2015, 12:40 PM

Default Re: 360 Gallon Plywood Build

Nice...that is why I like PVC, already waterproof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Thanks

I've been thinking about doing a vine background, pretty much completely inspired by Raf's vivarium, that tank is incredible!

After making a small amount of fake liana, I learned that it's not only a huge amount of work to pull off a background like that, but it must cost hundreds of dollars in silicone, rope and pvc. A tube of silicone doesn't go too far in coating a thick piece of rope or pipe, lol. For this reason, I'd like to try real vines cut from the woods, but I'd need to know that they'd hold up.

I have some really old concord grape vines in the woods behind my house and I think they'd look amazing. Does anyone have anything to say about using real vines cut from the woods? I haven't seen much about it online but it seems like an easy way to create a beautiful background IF they will hold up in the viv.

I know grape wood is notorious for molding up and breaking down in a viv setting, anyone think these vines may have different properties? or not?

I'm having trouble finding out what species the commercially available grape wood comes from, but it does look very different from these vines, here's a pic.

I'd love to get some advice, even if it's that I shouldn't use them, then I can at least stop thinking about it

Thanks,
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0726.jpg (100.4 KB, 144 views)
Old 11-22-2015, 01:27 AM

One alternative to using silicone for coir backgrounds is drylok. The bonus to this is you can also use it to make more rocky textures as well.
ikhanthequiet likes this.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:49 PM

I've passed the wet test!!!

After a failed test, I went back and put a second layer of fiberglass down in the problem area and a few more coats of epoxy over everything. A few days ago, I thought I had everything sealed up thoroughly, but lo and behold, I had a leak in the top right reservoir.

I guess I had overestimated the malleability of fiberglass. I tried to fiberglass some convex 90 joints that were off by about 1/8". LESSON LEARNED; fiberglass cloth will not stick to a surface when bent fibers are pulling away from the wood. The leak really showed me the importance of flawless cuts and careful measurement. Most of the joints and seams were good, but the woodwork got a little elaborate for my skill level up in the top right section of the build, especially going without a plan, lol. One thing I will definitely do in the future is rout any corners to be fiberglassed. I really wish I had known that from the start.

Also, I didn't know that fiberglass cloth that is not in contact with the wood is not necessarily waterproof even with a coat or two of epoxy over it. I cut out all the fiberglass that was not in contact with the wood and redid it with two layers. I filled it up a few hours ago and have seen no signs of leakage.

Check out this saw I get to use for the waterfall My father bought it a few years back for a stone patio we built, but we never use it. A couple weeks ago, the lightbulb went off and it occurred to me that I could use it to cut rocks for the build. It cuts right through them! My idea is to cut off the faces of rocks that I want to use, eliminating most of the weight while giving me a flat surface for silicone. I'm going to try to silicone rocks to the panel on the right for a waterfall. Can't wait to start experimenting with this!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.jpg (96.3 KB, 185 views)
gnathaniel likes this.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:08 PM

Thanks for documenting this build! I'm eager to see how it looks all planted out.

I would expect those grapevines will mold a lot in the humid environment. I used to mount orchids on wild grapevines but stopped because they got very moldy even on low-humidity windowsills. I never found that roots or moss grew well on them, either.

None are vines, but my favorite found woods for orchids are crape myrtle, rhododendron, and red cedar, though many think the latter will be toxic to animals in a viv (not a problem for me b/c I'm a plants-only guy). You could also try making artificial vines from ecoweb (or pond filter mesh) wrapped in fabrics like polyester craft felt or spacer mesh, which is essentially the same thing as hygrolon.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 PM

Thanks gnathaniel, I'll probably end up making fake vines. I don't want to do all this work to have the vines rot in a year or two. I am going to throw one vine in to see how it holds up, then in a couple years, I'll know if those vines can be used.

I mounted the centerpiece today, hopefully can work on a waterfall tomorrow.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0749.jpg (94.8 KB, 252 views)
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 PM

I set my vivariums up so I can adjust the fresh air intake... If your circulation system draws from the bottom of the tank, for example, and blows out at the top, then an adjustable vent near the fan intake will let you bleed fresh air in.

As soon as you plant the tank, and it starts operating, the viv will let you know if there is too much or too little circulation. (A rotten smell means there is too little).

With this set up, I can manage the condensation on the glass too. When guests are coming, and I want to show it off, I open the vent and allow ample fresh air to dry it off.

Lastly, a computer controlled system is really the only way to go with this type of vivarium. I use a Neptune Apex controller, with BML lights because you can set a variable dimmer to simulate sunset/sunrise, and control all those lights you have. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlrodman View Post
I set my vivariums up so I can adjust the fresh air intake... If your circulation system draws from the bottom of the tank, for example, and blows out at the top, then an adjustable vent near the fan intake will let you bleed fresh air in.

As soon as you plant the tank, and it starts operating, the viv will let you know if there is too much or too little circulation. (A rotten smell means there is too little).

With this set up, I can manage the condensation on the glass too. When guests are coming, and I want to show it off, I open the vent and allow ample fresh air to dry it off.

Lastly, a computer controlled system is really the only way to go with this type of vivarium. I use a Neptune Apex controller, with BML lights because you can set a variable dimmer to simulate sunset/sunrise, and control all those lights you have. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the input While the computer controlled system sounds amazing, I have no experience with them and I'm not sure if that will be in the budget for this project. I'm going to try my luck with timers first to try and save a few hundred.

Hopefully, with the right circulation feed and return placement, I can keep the glass clear and have control over airflow.

I've had to go into work a bit more than planned, so progress has been a little slow but heres an update

I'm experimenting with a kind of rock mosaic waterfall. It took a few days to silicone all the rocks in place because I'm fighting gravity. I was able to do two at a time, held in place with duct tape. I'd appreciate if anyone has any tips on filling the gaps and making the wood disappear. I'm sure there's plenty of reading on this, just haven't had the chance yet.

I cut in some pvc board for a stream, but I may not get to work on that for a while...

Since I couldn't really confirm that my real vines would work, I've committed to the pvc liana method. Yesterday I started bending pipes with a heat gun. I spent about six hours bending and that did a number on my forearms. Any pipe bending wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if there's an easier way, I can't fit them in the oven because I want them to span the height of the tank. I threw all the pipes I bent in just to get a feel for how many I'll need to make... Looks like I'm in for a few more days of bending

When it comes to coating the vines, I'm planning on coating them with silicone, then covering them with coco fiber. Not much experience here, so any input would be awesome.

I've read a little about thinning silicone with toluene. Is this worth doing? Will this make it easier to paint the silicone onto the pipes, or is it better to just work with straight silicone? Does toluene impair the longevity of the silicone?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0761.jpg (87.0 KB, 327 views)
Old 12-03-2015, 03:13 AM

Sir, as a fellow individual who has been stubborn enough to drag a 200lb uprooted tree stump through the woods, I tip my hat to you.

*tips hat and wanders off*
jonjoyce346 likes this.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:59 AM

This is starting to look super cool! Let us know how the pvc vines go! I've seen people use rope and coat that in the titebond 3 and coco fiber mix but I haven't seen this way before. Looks likes it working tho

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
jonjoyce346 likes this.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 PM

Thanks ikhanthequiet

I've made an amateur mistake... I had never used peat moss before and I just grabbed what was on the shelf at Home Depot. Stupidly, I jumped right into using it without reading the bag. I just read it and learned that it is Miracle Gro enriched with plant food

I've already coated about ten fake vines with it. Could it be possible to wash away the plant food/chemicals with water?

I'll probably be discarding these vines or trying to strip them and coat again with organic peat. It'll be about five hours of wasted effort, so if someone more knowledgeable than myself thinks I can get them frog safe by washing, I'd like to do so.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 12-05-2015, 02:32 AM

Oh that sucks.

In my gardening experience the nutrients and chemicals eventually wash out of soil after excessive watering, so the same may hold true for your vines. But I wouldn't know how to test it to make sure it's safe..

How did you attach the peet? Silicone or tb3? If it was silicone it should be simple enough to strip them and start over, and just chalk the lost time up to a learnin experience.

jonjoyce346 likes this.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:06 PM

Thanks, I'm using silicone so I'll try stripping them down today. First I'm going out in search of peat, lol.

The miracle gro stuff came moist and I had to bake it for quite a while to get it dry, does the peat you guys use come dry or do you have to bake it?
Old 12-07-2015, 06:13 PM

I finally got some peat without additives, 3.8 cubic feet for $14. I scrapped the miracle grow vines, I scored the crap out of them before coating and there was no way I was gonna get them cleaned up.

After a humble beginning with making vines, I've figured out an efficient system I'd like to share.

At first I was trying to coat the ropes with no tension on them, using a glove to work the silicone on by hand. It seemed to require excess silicone to get good coverage and it was super messy.

I cut tapered wedges in a couple short lengths of 2x4 and screwed them to the ends of my chop saw table. I can put plenty of tension on the rope by pulling it into the wedges. Once a rope is secure in the wedges it's easy to paint the silicone on with a little 60 cent brush. I put a sheet of plastic down with a pile of peat. After coating the ropes, I drop them into the pile of peat and pat them down. I bet there's a better way out there but this is immensely more effective than what I did at first. I was able to coat this pile of vines in a couple of hours using 3 tubes of silicone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0768.jpg (98.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0770.jpg (98.8 KB, 219 views)
Old 12-10-2015, 04:37 AM

awesome work, so how about you start cutting more rocks and sending them my way? that looks awesome!
jonjoyce346 and ikhanthequiet like this.

A few thumbs and pums never hurt anyone
Old 12-10-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks Brandon! It looks like you're a little more than a stone's throw away, lol, otherwise I would.

I still haven't decided on a method to fill the gaps between the rocks, maybe just glue as many smaller rocks as I can in there and silicone peat anywhere the plywood shows. Any other suggestions would be awesome
Old 12-10-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjoyce346 View Post
Thanks ikhanthequiet

I've made an amateur mistake... I had never used peat moss before and I just grabbed what was on the shelf at Home Depot. Stupidly, I jumped right into using it without reading the bag. I just read it and learned that it is Miracle Gro enriched with plant food

I've already coated about ten fake vines with it. Could it be possible to wash away the plant food/chemicals with water?

I'll probably be discarding these vines or trying to strip them and coat again with organic peat. It'll be about five hours of wasted effort, so if someone more knowledgeable than myself thinks I can get them frog safe by washing, I'd like to do so.

Thanks,
Jon
Hi Jon,
Great build! As for your problem with Miracle Grow, could you maybe put them in a tub full of water for 24 hours then test the water for nitrate, dump the water out, fill it again and repeat. Maybe if you get down to the test reading trace nitrate, you might be able to use the vines?

Mark
jonjoyce346 likes this.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks Mark, I ended up scrapping the vines to keep the build pure. Now that I've worked out a method, making vines is much easier and it wasn't such a loss to throw away the first ones.

I finished making vines yesterday and hung them all up last night. The next step will be to gs the tops of the vines and cover any visible wood above them. Guess I'll have to lay the whole thing on its back so the foam won't fall down...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1449838893157.jpg (18.0 KB, 378 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to jonjoyce346 For This Useful Post:
ikhanthequiet (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 01:06 AM

I use Toluene to thin out the silicone before spreading it on rope. I can make about 10 ft of vine using just a small amount of silicone. Get it a little runny but still thick enough to hold on to the rope and you are in business. This method does need extra time to off gas, but it stretches your silicone a lot further.
Looking forward to seeing more progress on this tank.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:54 AM

Holy vines batman. That is one dense jungle of vines.
Looks good!
How many hours for all of those you figure?

Mohlerbear likes this.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:31 AM

Amazing!! Keep us updated. So looking forward to the finished product
Old 12-12-2015, 11:16 PM

Thanks! I wasn't really keeping track of time working on the vines but I'd estimate it between 30 and 40 hours. I think I could cut that down to about 25 now that I've had some practice.

I thought about thinning the silicone with toluene but I didn't wanna deal with anything toxic if I could get away with it. I don't work with gloves much and I'd imagine that stuff's nasty on the hands. Also, I tried to learn whether or not toluene changes the properties of the cured silicone, I was worried that it may impair the longevity of the bond. Couldn't find any info on that, still would like to know for future projects. With my system, I can coat about 50 feet of 1/4 inch manila rope with one tube of silicone and get thorough coverage, no transparent thin spots. I was happy to get that much with one tube, how do you think that compares to when thinned with toluene Chillplants? If I learn that it's a better method, I'd definitely try it on a future build.

I had a couple buddies over today to lay it on it's back, it went much more smoothly than I anticipated. I'd estimate that it weighs about 500 pounds at this point.

Oh, did I fail to mention that I'm working in the downstairs of an 800 square foot house? lol
Old 12-13-2015, 02:46 PM

It's been so long since I've made vines and covered a foam background that I can't remember exactly how much a tube lasted with toluene. More than anything, I remember that the thinner silicone was much easier to apply.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:56 PM

Sprayed and siliconed the back yesterday, then had some friends over to tip it on its side. Sprayed last night and carved this morning.

One more tip to do the other side and then it's upright for the duration. I should have the background done by tomorrow night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1450104710815.jpg (18.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg image_1450104741534.jpg (17.1 KB, 185 views)
Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 PM

I see you didn't go with the vines from the woods which is a good idea. I put grape and ivy trunks 1-2 inches across in my viv. the ivy sprouted for about a year but in under 2 years both had rotted away. I like the look of how you have done it. keep us posted.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:24 PM

Thanks Skanderson, I was excited about the way the real vines looked but I'm sure I would've regretted using them.

I finally finished up with the background and got the viv in its upright position. Hope the fake vines look convincing enough when it's all planted out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1450448118207.jpg (18.0 KB, 267 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to jonjoyce346 For This Useful Post:
ikhanthequiet (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 06:43 PM

They will. Looks great!

Loading bowls and building vivs! Braaap!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jonjoyce346 likes this.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:54 PM

After a long run of searches and phone calls, I finally got a 50lb bag of sodium bentonite. Unfortunately, it's not the product I was looking for as it has a large particle size about 1/2".

I haven't been able to find any info on the board for this bentonite product, has anyone used it??? I'd love to hear about anyone's experience using this.

I highly doubt I'll be able to use this to make clay substrate because I'm planning on following Doug's recipe in which most of the ingredients are dry mixed.

The particles are quite hard, I haven't tried yet but I imagine it would be difficult to grind into a powder.

As a test, I put some in a pot with water and soaked it for an hour. The particles absorb quite a bit of water and expand to about twice the original size. The clay becomes soft and it's actually pretty easy to make a smooth mix with a potato masher.

I want to try to make clay banks for the pond section and incorporate clay into the stream bed, to fill some of the space between rocks and build up some banks on the side to hide that white pvc. I might have to try a few different mixes before I find one that can withstand the flow of the stream. I couldn't find any info on here about using clay in streams or ponds, it seems many serious froggers don't invest much in water features. I know they're useless for darts, but I'm still new and the novelty hasn't worn of for me I did read some posts by Ed about a clay drip wall that held up to substantial flow. Sorry, I'm not sure how to link to a thread, still figuring out some parts of the site. I'd imagine a similar mix would work in a low flowing stream to help channel the water?

I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, if I can get through my uncertainties using bentonite clay, the rest of the process won't be too bad. I can't wait to get a misting system going and get some plants in there!

In other news, I went out in the woods yesterday and scored another piece of wood that seems to fit in nicely Here's a pic
Old 12-23-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjoyce346 View Post
After a long run of searches and phone calls, I finally got a 50lb bag of sodium bentonite. Unfortunately, it's not the product I was looking for as it has a large particle size about 1/2".

I haven't been able to find any info on the board for this bentonite product, has anyone used it??? I'd love to hear about anyone's experience using this.

I highly doubt I'll be able to use this to make clay substrate because I'm planning on following Doug's recipe in which most of the ingredients are dry mixed.

The particles are quite hard, I haven't tried yet but I imagine it would be difficult to grind into a powder.

As a test, I put some in a pot with water and soaked it for an hour. The particles absorb quite a bit of water and expand to about twice the original size. The clay becomes soft and it's actually pretty easy to make a smooth mix with a potato masher.

I want to try to make clay banks for the pond section and incorporate clay into the stream bed, to fill some of the space between rocks and build up some banks on the side to hide that white pvc. I might have to try a few different mixes before I find one that can withstand the flow of the stream. I couldn't find any info on here about using clay in streams or ponds, it seems many serious froggers don't invest much in water features. I know they're useless for darts, but I'm still new and the novelty hasn't worn of for me I did read some posts by Ed about a clay drip wall that held up to substantial flow. Sorry, I'm not sure how to link to a thread, still figuring out some parts of the site. I'd imagine a similar mix would work in a low flowing stream to help channel the water?

I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, if I can get through my uncertainties using bentonite clay, the rest of the process won't be too bad. I can't wait to get a misting system going and get some plants in there!

In other news, I went out in the woods yesterday and scored another piece of wood that seems to fit in nicely Here's a pic
I wouldn't call them completely useless for darts. Many larger darts will transport their tads into water features and many have morphed tads into froglets without any real attention to them. The certainly do make a viv look pretty, at the same time though certainly make sure to keep the water clean (that also means not letting ammonia, nitrites, nitrates or frog hormones build up). If you want I can send you a pdf I have composed for a FB group that details the biochemistry that goes on and it has some tips on making things lower maintenance.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:27 PM

For linking threads, find the thread you're looking for, copy the url, then in a reply post click the little hyperlink button at the top of the post, looks like a little planet earth with a chainlink in front of it. Then you just paste the link into the little window that pops up.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
I wouldn't call them completely useless for darts. Many larger darts will transport their tads into water features and many have morphed tads into froglets without any real attention to them. The certainly do make a viv look pretty, at the same time though certainly make sure to keep the water clean (that also means not letting ammonia, nitrites, nitrates or frog hormones build up). If you want I can send you a pdf I have composed for a FB group that details the biochemistry that goes on and it has some tips on making things lower maintenance.
Thanks Rush, I would definitely like to read through your pdf on water chemistry. This build actually feels more like a research project than a construction project, lol. I've been doing all the reading I have time for.

Thanks Jarteta, doesn't get much easier than that, lol

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-dripwall.html

I've done what reading I can on the clay stream idea and I think I'll give it a go as soon as I can get my sump and pump plumbed in. It's not the easy route to take but it looks like a fun experiment. If it fails I can always do it with spray foam, I'd just rather keep it natural.

I went out in the woods and found a couple more roots yesterday, I still think I want a little more wood in there...

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-12-23 14.50.45.jpg (96.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-12-23 14.37.56.jpg (95.8 KB, 210 views)
Old 12-27-2015, 02:44 AM

Wow apperently I can't upload a PDF over 19.5kb That's a pretty pitifully small file size :/ PM me your email address and I will send it over if you don't mind.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 PM

Progress has been slow for the past couple weeks, I've been waiting on shipments. I cut in a false bottom this morning and fit a screen in on top today.

I did a lot of thinking on the stream construction and decided that the clay probably wasn't a good idea. I just thought it would be really cool to be able to mold a natural looking bank. I had the idea of laying the false bottom screen across the stream and then just putting sand and rocks on top of the screen. It's quick and simple and I'm thinking it'll work well. I laid down the screen all in one piece and pushed it at least three inches up any walls it touches. I made damn sure there there's no openings around the false bottom where a frog could squeeze itself through and get trapped.

I want to put a pvc vine through a hole in the ceiling for a feeding tube. Anyone do this before??? I really like the idea of being able to funnel ff's into the viv without opening anything. I'd like to use a 3/4" pipe with an open bottom so that flies and supplements can't get jammed up there. I'll have a cap on the top that I can pull off to feed.

Before I go ahead with this I just have one question, Could any pumilio get big enough to get stuck inside a 3/4" pvc pipe????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0808.jpg (97.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0809.jpg (96.2 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-31-2015, 09:34 PM

Maybe, instead of having the PVC pipe have it's bottom flush with the top of the viv, build a small funnel that could fit on the end, and the FFs could be funneled down into a much smaller opening, maybe 1/4" or less, and then you don't have to worry about the frogs getting stuck in it. I couldn't tell you how to actually do it, but maybe just a suggestion?

Also, I was wondering how you were going to soften the corner in the back right of the tank aesthetically?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
Maybe, instead of having the PVC pipe have it's bottom flush with the top of the viv, build a small funnel that could fit on the end, and the FFs could be funneled down into a much smaller opening, maybe 1/4" or less, and then you don't have to worry about the frogs getting stuck in it. I couldn't tell you how to actually do it, but maybe just a suggestion?

Also, I was wondering how you were going to soften the corner in the back right of the tank aesthetically?
Thanks for the idea I like the feeding tube idea because I can hide the opening behind other vines and the build up of supplements will end up out of sight. Also I think too much powder would build up on the viv floor if I dropped FFs in from the top, all my tanks have a white spot on the floor where I feed and I want to avoid that.

For the back right corner, I think I'll put a couple of big rocks on top of the waterfall to hide as much as possible. I'll plant around the rocks to finish it off. I think I'll just hide any remaining plywood with silicone and peat to keep it simple.

Jon
Old 01-04-2016, 06:12 PM

Finally got the glass in place for a test run. I'm experimenting with a track idea that allows for a one piece viewing window. I know the one piece design comes with drawbacks but I really wanted to avoid the visual obstruction with overlapping glass doors. I can slide the glass out in either direction for access to anywhere in the tank. I'd be surprised if no one out there has done glass tracks like this, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

I got a piece of 1/8" tempered glass at 73.5"x29.5". I cut the tracks out of 3/4" pvc trim board. The cuts were a challenge, by far the most difficult work I've done with a table saw. I had to put the tracks up and test them a couple times before getting the glass to slide smoothly. A 3/16" groove seems to work well, enough play for it to slide freely but not much wiggle room.

I still have to take the tracks down and silicone behind them so water can't seep through to the wood.

Also, I changed plans for the water section. I couldn't think of a good way to do the pond with the vines hanging into it, just would've been a waste of space. Of course I had to undo some work but I decided to cut the vines short and make more land area of the space under them. Huge pita cutting the vines while in place in the viv, but I was able to score another ~2 square feet of surface area to put in clay substrate. The water section is smaller than planned but it is a dart tank after all.

Just ordered a v4.0 Mist King starter system this morning, can't wait to see the new timer

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0821.jpg (84.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0820.jpg (93.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0819.jpg (87.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 PM

I've made some progress in the past couple weeks... I installed the MistKing last week. I got it from Mike from glassboxtropicals.com, he's been a huge help. Very easy to get in touch with and quick with shipments.

I finally have the sump up and running and the water feature is almost finished. I decided not to use any clay in the water feature, would've been too difficult. I just laid down some sand and aquarium substrate, then a bunch of rocks of various sizes.

The pond section ended up much smaller than expected but as a result, I was able to allow for much more substrate area. I think I'll be able to get 7 or 8 square feet of land area.

Next thing to do is lay down some turface and clay substrate. I made my first batch of substrate this week, about 5 pounds just to get a feel for the process. It's very strenuous My hands were killing me after making 5 pounds of the stuff. I'm estimating I'll have to make about 25 more to cover everything... I'm thinking I'll set up shop in front of the tv and play all of the Rocky movies while I make substrate

Here are a few pics The last one shows the overflow drain access. I just cut a hole in the egg crate and screen and I'll use a rock with a cut side as a "lid" that I could open in case of any clog or build up in the future. The false bottom screen extends down to the bottom of the pond and there are no holes or openings anywhere for a frog to get through the screen.

Hoping to mount some broms and get some moss growth going in the next week or two.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0834.jpg (97.1 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0833.jpg (99.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0839.jpg (97.7 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-12-2016, 08:42 PM

Reading this and seeing how good you are at building something so awesome from raw materials just made me mad because I know I would never be able to pull this off.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Wow, it's looking really good, you were right about the faux rocks for the corner piece, they really soften that hard edge, and it goes perfectly with the water feature. I really like the stream. You may have already mentioned it, but how did you actually build the stream bed? Get some moss in there, get it growing now because it's going to look great with this set up.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
Wow, it's looking really good, you were right about the faux rocks for the corner piece, they really soften that hard edge, and it goes perfectly with the water feature. I really like the stream. You may have already mentioned it, but how did you actually build the stream bed? Get some moss in there, get it growing now because it's going to look great with this set up.
Thanks I didn't really go into detail about how I did the stream. I siliconed some pieces of pvc trim to the tilted floor to create a channel. Each set of pvc walls is level at the top, with a baffle on the downstream end at 1/2" below the level of the walls. That way, the water fills up to the top of the baffle then flows into the next section, like in a real stream, where small waterfalls occur at changes in elevation. If you go back to post #73, the first pic shows the channel with baffles. From there, I laid down the false bottom screen over the stream in one piece to ensure that that nothing bad could end up under the false bottom. I pushed the screen down to the plywood at the bottom of the stream to achieve some depth. Then I just laid down sand and rocks in an attempt for a natural look.

I'll get some moss in there soon, I'm waiting on a new credit card in the mail...

Actually no faux rocks in there, I cut all the bigger ones to reduce weight and create a flat surface for silicone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyFrog View Post
Reading this and seeing how good you are at building something so awesome from raw materials just made me mad because I know I would never be able to pull this off.
Thanks! I appreciate the compliment but I'm just a kid with a lot of power tools Check out some of these threads, they have all been super inspiring for me. I can only hope to some day create something like any of these...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...-vivarium.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...gal-verts.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...peninsula.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...nstr-jrnl.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-my-first.html

Tags
build, dart frog, large, plywood, vivarium