Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jarteta97

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 02:22 AM

Default Beamswork/Razor EA series???

Ok so I've been doing some research (if you count ebay and amazon as research) on LEDs that I may want to use for my 18x18x24 that I'm hoping to set up for some tinctorius azureus. I plan to grow it out over fall and winter and purchase frogs in spring. I have an 18" beamswork right now that I'm using for a tree frog tank and the lumens are simply too low at a whopping 300, and the light appears way too blue, especially in comparison to my jungle dawn and josh's frogs screw in LEDs that I have already. When doing an Amazon search, I found an apparently different series of Beamswork's called EA, same price and size, but with 1650 total lumens. I also saw it listed as Razor EA series on aquatraders, with no mention of Beamswork but the same exact picture. My main worry is that it will have the same unnatural bluish tint as the original Beamswork. Here's the link:

: Amazon.com: Beamworks EA Series 0.50W 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant (18 : Amazon.com: Beamworks EA Series 0.50W 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant (18

Does anyone have any experience with this new series and/or its coloring? If it doesn't work out, I'm just gonna take the plunge and go with a satellite or even a finnex, but I'd rather not bankrupt myself . Any and all help is appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to jarteta97 For This Useful Post:
cjkpa1 (01-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Beamswork/Razor EA series???

Looks just like my 48" beamsworks. I have not had it very long, and its on its "dim" setting over some grow outs. But, looking at it on full strength, it would be fine to light a 24" tall vivarium. I plan to have them over 36" tall ones eventually.

A few thumbs and pums never hurt anyone
Old 10-05-2015, 03:12 AM

Good, that's a huge part of the appeal of LEDs, their ability to penetrate deep into the tank. Does it have a bluish tint, though?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
Good, that's a huge part of the appeal of LEDs, their ability to penetrate deep into the tank. Does it have a bluish tint, though?
The beams works "freshwater" line contains so.e 10000k led I believe, and that would be pretty blue tinted for a viv. Are you sure that isn't what you saw? Because the 6500k models they have should be much more "white", Also some of their lights include blue moonligbts: is it possible you saw one running 6500k and moomligbts were also on?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 AM

There is also a series of beamsworks led lights that are geared for reef tank lighting which have actinic blue lighting, and these lean heavinly towards the blue side. My guess is that is what you purchased
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM

The beamswork I purchased from amazon has a 6500K rating, with the blue acitinic moonlights on when the white LEDs are on. Hmmmmm the lack of the acitinic lights would make the light less reef oriented and more plant oriented. I wish I could turn the acinitinic lights off, that's definitely what's causing the blue tint, don't know how I missed that. Thanks for the help, I'll be going with the EA series ☺

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
The beamswork I purchased from amazon has a 6500K rating, with the blue acitinic moonlights on when the white LEDs are on. Hmmmmm the lack of the acitinic lights would make the light less reef oriented and more plant oriented. I wish I could turn the acinitinic lights off, that's definitely what's causing the blue tint, don't know how I missed that. Thanks for the help, I'll be going with the EA series ☺

I thought there was a switch for them. So you can shut off the white but the moonlights stay on 24/7??? ....that is odd.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:13 PM

That's exactly right, basically when u change it to the moonlight setting all it does is shut off the white LEDs. Kind of a design flaw IMO

The Following User Says Thank You to jarteta97 For This Useful Post:
Dendro Dave (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:

The EA series fixture I have, does not have any blue moonlights. The "moonlight" mode just lights up a select few of the white lights for dimmer lighting.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Awesome I'm definitely going to go for it, thanks for the help.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:50 PM

Have you considered the Finnex 24/7? ...It would be a bit more expensive but you get automated dawn/dusk/moonlight and other FX

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-05-2015, 01:09 PM

I use the beamsworks 18" 6500k 3watt arrays over my 18x18x24 vivs and love them. Very inexpensive and nice looking. Check out topdogsellers on eBay.
Standard Leucs
Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 PM

Dave, I have considered finnex but I'd have to really check out my budget before I went with one. I really would prefer one but the price kills me lol. I might be able to get one for Christmas if I'm lucky haha.

Toostrange, will do, I'd willing to go through ebay or amazon, so I'll check them out.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Dave, I have considered finnex but I'd have to really check out my budget before I went with one. I really would prefer one but the price kills me lol. I might be able to get one for Christmas if I'm lucky haha.

Toostrange, will do, I'd willing to go through ebay or amazon, so I'll check them out.
Ya it is basically about $45 higher then that one linked to at start of thread, but man automated dawn/dusk/moonlight, and lightning at push of button... still a hell of a deal. Your tank is 18 inches wide right? I was looking at the 20" fixture which might barely hang off the edge but if I got your tank size right should be the one that works best, and is the cheapest available size.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:22 AM

Don't tempt me lol believe me I want one of those bad boys. Has anyone ever taken a 36" and placed it over two 18x18 footprint tanks? I wonder if this would be cost effective.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Don't tempt me lol believe me I want one of those bad boys. Has anyone ever taken a 36" and placed it over two 18x18 footprint tanks? I wonder if this would be cost effective.

Ya that should work well. I have a 6ft long heavy metal industrial rack in my living room with a 75 and 40gal on it, and space for at least 4 more vivs on the top two racks. those vivs are shut down at moment but I will be firing them up soon and will probably use 2 30" finnex 24/7s on each level as the lighting, maybe 4 on each shelf (I like to grow some high light plants), and a 40b and 75gal are deep enough front to back that 2 lights give you better coverage, though the 40b is so short I can probably get away with one light raised up a few inches to get coverage and still be bright enough.

I'm planning on getting another heavy industrial rack and doing 20gal verts on it. I already have the 4-5 tanks and vert kits, just gotta start building and buy the rack. Those I think I can light adequately with 2 30" finnex end to end on each shelf. So the entire rack will have dawn/dusk/moonlight, probably some firefly lights, and automated misting. Should be pretty sweet. You can put some wood trim over the metal on the rack or something to make it look more like furniture pretty easily. Probably stick it on there with magnets so it is removable.

Here is a pic of the rack from years back when the vivs were fired up. A 10gal vert on each side of the 75gal, and 40b below it, with room for 2 small exoterras probably, or a custom sized tank, or 10-20gal tanks slid in lengthways. I could probably fit some 20 longs on the bottom, but would likely raise the shelves a level higher and remove the top shelf to fit taller tanks on bottom and accommodate the 75's height, or I could just put tanks on the top shelf above the 75 but I'd need a step stool and they'd be high enough and close to the ceiling that if my AC failed they'd be in the hottest area of the room probably.

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 10-06-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:45 AM

You're living the dream man. At the ripe age of 17 I can only dream of doing that haha. I'll see if I can push for a 36 inch or two 18 inch finnex. I don't plan on actually getting the frogs until spring so as to allow for acclimation, as well as working out all the kinks in the tank and/or keeping cultures going. Really I just need to have the plants and microfauna ordered ASAP before that winter chill busts their butts so to speak.

Those are some great aspirations you have for your frog room though, I'm sure they'll keep you busy for the next couple years... or months if the addiction is strong enough in you

I don't worry too much about the aesthetics of my setups (on the outside at least ) I have a teenage bedroom so naturally it should be weird and at least a little filthy am i right? But in all seriousness either the EA series or the finnex will please me, though the latter would most certainly be worth the buck. Now I just have to start saving for a biopod!

Dendro Dave likes this.